PDA

View Full Version : Angle grinder wear..

russ57
13th Jan 2018, 11:46 PM
I noticed a few weeks ago my 'goto' makita angle grinder had a lot of play in the front bearing. Not happy, it's barely over 30 years old.

I finally pulled it apart and this is what I found..

Pretty sure it is supposed to be a dual seal, absolutely no sign of one of them, and the ball cage is completely destroyed. The races seem to have grooves both sides for the seal.

I think it is a 6201 2rs. No marking on the bearing, a suspicious mind says it was ground off to force buying expensive spares...
The remaining seal says ntn Japan and what looks like 82OILS.

(I measured the shaft @11.94, the outer @ 31.94). I checked the brushes, looks like a bit of life left in them still.
I did get a quote when I first realised the wear, around $15 as a spare part, $6 as a 6201. [emoji16]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180113/8cc69b8ce87b4080fde650e608474fae.jpg

-russ

jhovel
14th Jan 2018, 01:15 AM
I think that's warranty claim. I'm pretty sure the warranty on Makita tools in 1988 was 35 years.....
BTW, who remembers the slogan of that year? "Mass debate in '88"
:roflmao:

russ57
14th Jan 2018, 08:22 PM
I think that's warranty claim. I'm pretty sure ehe warranty on Makita tools in 1988 was 35 years..

I'm sure consumer affairs will back me on that...

BTW, who remembers the slogan of that year? "Mass debate in '88"
[emoji23]

To misquote doc Brown, was there something wrong with gravity in 88? [emoji16]

-russ

malb
14th Jan 2018, 08:52 PM
To misquote doc Brown, was there something wrong with gravity in 88? [emoji16]

-russ

Actually as I recall my secondary and tertiary physics, mass is independent of gravity, and weight is a function of gravity acting upon mass. But I last formally studied this more than 40 years ago, and my memory has had a few lapses since.

russ57
21st Jan 2018, 10:58 PM
So, success, at least at first sight. Washed out old grease, Bearing arrived, fitted in neatly. Only took an hour or so to find the woodruff key that dropped on the floor.[emoji45] All buttoned up and runs smoothly. Haven't tried under load yet

-russ

jatt
22nd Jan 2018, 07:18 PM
cmon there is still a few balls left in that bearing!!!

But seriously, it aint getting any easier to find stuff that's made as good as it used to be.

russ57
22nd Jan 2018, 07:51 PM
cmon there is still a few balls left in that bearing!!!

But seriously, it aint getting any easier to find stuff that's made as good as it used to be.Actually I think all the balls are there. What is missing is the cage to keep them spaced out. Well, not missing as much as divided into 8...

-russ

jatt
22nd Jan 2018, 08:37 PM
Must admit I'm guilty of trying to keep my old gear going. Some good old hand me downs amongst em!!

Grahame Collins
25th Jan 2018, 12:45 PM
I was given a 9005b model that had a cracked gear casing. My friend was going to bin it and buy another.
I bought a new housing and replaced the cracked one.

Long story short I still have it 5 years later and the friend's replacement Makita grinder has bit the dust.
Old made in Japan Makita tools - love em!

Grahame

China
25th Jan 2018, 11:16 PM
Two months ago I was given a Makita LS1011 sliding miter saw the owner replaced it because in did not cut square was noisy and it was 20 years old, it was noisy because
the motor bears had become worn, the bearings cost $12 from CBC , it did not cut square because the fence had moved.
Hour later and $12 resurrected a item which is better built that the new replacement at $1,110.00

chambezio
28th Jan 2018, 10:08 AM
I did some renovations for my B-I-L, in payment he asked if I would like his Father's Radial Arm Saw that he had inherited some years before. I didn't run it until I got it home. The B-I-L raved about how the sound of it thrilled him as it demonstrated the power it had. I don't know about demonstrating the power but his father (ex house builder) must have reckoned maintenance was a very low priority. I changed the main spindle bearing then had to change the motor bearings. It is a top quality bit of gear being a Saw Master driven by a GMF 1Hp motor. All I need to do now is clean up and paint to roll back the years on it. It would have to been bought in the 60s. It has been doing a good job for me as it is for 8 years. The new paint job will come in due coarse.....you can't rush these things

Grahame Collins
28th Jan 2018, 10:59 AM
I shudder to think of the amount of once superb tools that have been consigned to the tip because the then current owners did not realise that need for maintenence and/or easily cheaply obtained replacement parts.

Theres nothing like that warm inner feeling of satisfaction generated by a good tool rescue.:2tsup:

Grahame

chambezio
28th Jan 2018, 11:22 AM
When the eldest daughter bought her own place she was a bit strapped for cash and bought a Microwave Oven from BIGW. She only spent $50. It worked for 18 months or so, then stopped working. She was going to bin the thing so I asked her if I could have to get some magnets out of it. Got it home and started to dismantle it to harvest what I could. To get the back off and get inside I had to use 3 different types of "secure" screws with weirdo slots in the head. As I was getting into it, there was a fuse sitting quietly in its holder. I looked at and thought "No, it couldn't be that simple". I stripped a bit of copper wire and put it across the terminals of the fuse holder....yep, that was all that was wrong with it. Bought a new fuse and gave the "dead" microwave back to her.
Grahame I thought the same as you "How many of these and other appliances are in land fill just needing some minor part to make them operable "
My 50s model Thicknesser started to drop the circuit breaker. My Electrician mate said it would only be electrical or mechanical. It has a 3Hp 3Ph motor. I pulled it apart and replaced to bearings that where a little grumbly the fault was still there. Old mate came down and we pulled it apart again so he could put his meter over the individual coils. After everything being OK, he found that the insulation on the wires coming out of the coils was brittle and flaking off and contacting the motor chassis creating a short circuit. I slid some new insulation over these wires put the thing back together and it hasn't missed a beat since. I do like these old heavy cast iron machines!!

russ57
3rd Feb 2018, 10:36 PM
Not just me then!

In the spirit of repairing once - good stuff, does anyone have an 'fhp' 780 bevel gauge.
I have part of one....

I can replace the blade with a steel rule, but I'd love a picture of the clamping screw. There is a lock screw through the handle that seems to push a pointed end into the clamp screw to lock it.

I'm guessing it may have a couple of bevel washers in there somewhere.

-russ

Grahame Collins
20th Feb 2018, 09:49 PM
Not just me then!

In the spirit of repairing once - good stuff, does anyone have an 'fhp' 780 bevel gauge.
I have part of one....

I can replace the blade with a steel rule, but I'd love a picture of the clamping screw. There is a lock screw through the handle that seems to push a pointed end into the clamp screw to lock it.

I'm guessing it may have a couple of bevel washers in there somewhere.

-russ

I havent found the broken one I promised you,but I was net surfing and found this one - they still make them apparently.
250mm SLIDING BEVEL FHP (http://www.allbuildingsupplies.com.au/index.php/building-products/tools/250mm-sliding-bevel-fhp.html)

That triggered a memory .As the diecast was broken at the joint I now recall that the screw through the body was threaded into the block.
To lock the bevel, the handle was simply tightened up ,therby locking the bevel. I am still looking I saw it it last year when looking for something else. This is why I don't contribute to those "shows us your shed " posts.The place is a mess.Note to self to stop all projects and clean the place up!!!

Hell! I can't even see the floor in places.I could win pigsty shed of the year easily.

russ57
20th Feb 2018, 10:05 PM
Thanks Grahame, amazed the brand is still around.

I reckon I will turn a cheap steel ruler into a new blade.

Your shed sounds a bit like mine...

-russ

Toggy
21st Feb 2018, 08:18 AM
Come on Grahame; show us the insides of your shed. Just so the rest of us can feel better about our own 'loose leaf' filing systems.

Ken

DIYenthusiast
2nd Mar 2018, 02:18 PM
I had the same thing with a Makita router. Part number has it down as a dual seal design, actual bearing is un-shielded.
Only thing to consider is the speed rating, but any quality bearing should be fine. The cheap chinese stuff is average at best, they only just discovered how to grind balls truly round.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/01/18/finally-china-manufactures-a-ballpoint-pen-all-by-itself/?utm_term=.3e519b2ca964

onanonanon
4th Mar 2018, 10:03 AM
I had a Hitachi 9" angle grinder that simply would not stop. It lasted 30 od years before something needed done to it an that was a new switch as the old one had oxidised badly and the screws wouldn'y undo. sadly, safety concerns with switches led to a new design which would not fit the older models, that and advancing age (mine) and arthritis saw the Hitachi consigned to the bin.

I wish some of the Makita tools I've had over the years were as good, never managed to get one to last more than six months, simply unlucky I guess.

Com_VC
4th Mar 2018, 02:55 PM
I am personally a fan of Makita, i've never had any issues with them, I usually go for the higher end models though. Parts are easy and affordable to get if ever needed, they don't seem to change there models very often like some other brands out there who seem to update there stuff every year or so. Some of the models they have are still sold some 30 years later. They pretty much have every power tool possible so you can stick with the one brand.

rcaffin
4th Mar 2018, 08:36 PM
I live on a farm. I have one old cast iron single-phase pump on the dam and another, identical, on the irrigation. Both pumps must be 50+ years old. They run.
Meanwhile, we have bought and replaced a large number of modern domestic pressure pumps. The Australian brands last for a couple of years ( a bit more than the warranty period), then die.

I was looking at buying a new electric drill, but they are either Chinese or very expensive. I commented to the (old) salesman that I still had my cast aluminium body B&D drill from the 70s. He went into raptures over it. It still runs just fine.

Cheers
Roger