PDA

View Full Version : National Heritage Question

bwal74
22nd Dec 2017, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I was trolling through some gumtree adds and came across this add for a steam engine:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/allansford/other-antiques-art-collectables/vintage-stationary-engine-brown-may-posponed-to-early-jan-2018-/1167112390

In his spiel, the seller refers to National Heritage issues. I've heard of this before but I don't really know anything about it. Can anyone fill me in on this? I'm guessing the government is trying to protect our national heritage but I really don't know what, when or how?

A bit off topic but I was looking at his windmills for sale. I like the little one but my wife said no. I also have a love affair with old steam engines.

Cheers Ben.

.RC.
22nd Dec 2017, 11:40 AM
I have heard you cannot export some traction engines. Apparently there is a demand in the UK for them and many were exported to there. I have heard values like them selling for $150 000.

Personally I think if the government wants to put restrictions on private property like heritage listing, then the government should be forced to buy them. Nothing worse then society forcing others to take a new financial hit all on their own for the supposed benefit of society.

Grahame Collins
22nd Dec 2017, 12:07 PM
I cannot link to the text you speak of. All I see are the pictures.

I may be wrong but when I search for "National Heritage " I am presented with information regarding places ( locations) that are listed or recommended to be listed as national heritage. there's no mention of things/items in the National Heritage web site.

Purchase of National Heritage property comes with problems of what the purchaser is allowed to change and what the owner must keep as original condition, usually the outside of a building. Persons buying such places often have to spend more that they anticipated when bring old buildings up to standard.

I do wonder if the gumtree seller is being creative with his description to enhance any perceived value of the said engines.

Certainly, the engines are of historical value, there's no doubt on that, but has the seller just made a semantic error in the description or is he deliberately using bovine excrement to unethically drive up what price he may seek for the units?

Did the seller mean cultural heritage ?. I can't answer as I don't have the information you seem to have. Any chance of a cut and paste?

Grahame

franco
22nd Dec 2017, 12:27 PM
Hi Ben,

Read all about it here:

https://www.arts.gov.au/what-we-do/cultural-heritage/movable-cultural-heritage/exporting-cultural-property-australia

It appears to me that the engine in the photo is an oil engine not a steam engine, and it is referred to as such in the text.

Regards,

Frank

dubrosa22
22nd Dec 2017, 12:58 PM
The gumtree ad text:
At the moment i am preparing the right information regarding shipping and national heritage clearance to put on the table with the listing.The latter issue is not expected to raise any surprises,but is being sought for my own peace of mind.

I have no intention of changing direction with my decision to offer the engine for sale.Thank you to anyone following for being patient.

Grahame Collins
22nd Dec 2017, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that dubrosa22 and

Welcome to our Metalwork Forum.

It clears up the matter very nicely, especially in conjunction with the info Franco posted.

Look out for a PM from me with links to help you get started.

Cheers
Grahame

wheelinround
24th Dec 2017, 09:39 AM
Thats interesting " National Heritage"?? It just goes to show it is who is in the chair making the choices that matters and the interests of those concerened. Having witnessed the demise of Greens Motorcade Museum back in the late 70s early 80s where many a Heritage Veteran & Vintage vehicle went OS. The vast number of historical heritage listed homes, buildings and even cemetery demolished none of which can be rebuilt. Yet these machines can from the ground up can be recast remanufactured and are even in scale model sizes.

It also means government area aware the value of such items scaatered across the land in sheds etc, you can bet they stick that onto the assets we have when correlating for pensions etc [emoji20][emoji20]

AndrewOC
26th Dec 2017, 08:07 PM
I wonder whether the Gumtree advertiser is trying to incite 'movable heritage'?
What is movable heritage and why is it important? | NSW Environment & Heritage (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Heritage/aboutheritage/movableheritage.htm)

cheers,
AndrewO

wheelinround
31st Dec 2017, 10:02 AM
I wonder whether the Gumtree advertiser is trying to incite 'movable heritage'?
What is movable heritage and why is it important? | NSW Environment & Heritage (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Heritage/aboutheritage/movableheritage.htm)

cheers,
AndrewOMore like warn people NSW State Gov wants its hooks deeper into group and personal collections [emoji34].

The way NSW gov demands group assets be registered is to say the least ridding beside the wagon read to strike the assets when least expected just like a bushranger.