PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from near Geelong, Victoria

OxxAndBert
13th Nov 2017, 11:19 PM
Google regularly sends me to this forum when I'm searching for answers, so figured I'd just come here directly and hang around :)

I've got an 80's Takisawa TSL1000 lathe and an ancient WWII vintage Van Norman universal mill - both of which are relatively new to me and need some TLC.

Currently working on making the missing change gears for the lathe so I've got a full set. I've only minimal milling experience, have never cut a gear before and don't have an index head so could be interesting.... Expect some newbie questions !!

Steve

caskwarrior
14th Nov 2017, 08:38 AM
Hi Steve, dividing heads of one sort or another come up fairly often around the traps, keep a keen eye on gumtree. What model Van Norman do you have, love to see some photos. Welcome to the forum.

OxxAndBert
14th Nov 2017, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
I've been watching out for a dividing head, but to be honest its probably down the priority list a bit at present. Purchasing 2 machines in 12 months and getting tooling etc to the point where they are useful has given the hobby finances a serious hit so need some recovery time.
I've got a few ideas in mind to get these change gears done without having one so will see how it goes.
Mill is a Van Norman#12, born in 1942 from what I can work out and has the lovely green "war finish". I've just replaced the original spindle bearings as they had reached the end of their life after 75 years.
Will get some photos posted soon once I work out how :)

Steve

old1955
15th Nov 2017, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve.

WalkerR27
26th Jun 2018, 05:21 AM
Have a qualified appliance restore individual out to clean the inside of the dryer a number of instances a year to attenuate the prospect of fireside. Feel free to visit my web page hi (http://jslkdfjlksdjf.net)