PDA

View Full Version : melting copper

eskimo
12th Nov 2017, 04:29 PM
Now that I am lonely during the day I am keeping busy to pass the time by cleaning out the van. Over the years i have accumulated lots of copper fittings which are shop soiled and as such probably no one else wants as it will warrant cleaning them to use in refrigeration systems....time is money!

Are there any problems with melting down and casting copper. One thing i was thinking of was heads for a hammer...or even a drift.

Have lots of pipe too and although its sealed others will look at it as an unknown and possibly risky. Can never be too clean for internal of refrigeration systems!!!

China
12th Nov 2017, 05:24 PM
You could melt them no problem you just need a furnace, or know some one who has one, or you could sell them for non refrigeration use such as water or air lines

eskimo
13th Nov 2017, 08:18 AM
You could melt them no problem you just need a furnace, or know some one who has one, or you could sell them for non refrigeration use such as water or air lines

on its way to being to being built...been like that for a year or so...but I am building one...just taking a little bit longer than what I thought...now that I am retired it might never get finished...but you never know eh?
Seriously, I must get around to it

1/2 inch and 3/4 I will keep for around the house.... as for all the other our piping above 1/2 goes in increments of 1/8th up to 7/8... ie next size is 5/8...then comes 3/4 and then comes 7/8, then we miss 1 inch and go to 1-1/8, then 1-3/8, then comes 1-5/8...why...cos they did... thus making all the other sizes outside of plumbing practices.

China
13th Nov 2017, 02:43 PM
I know what you mean now when I retired I was supposed to have time to do my own stuff, trouble is every one thinks I have nothing to do so I
still don't have any free time ( I need to learn how to say "no")