PDA

View Full Version : DIY HF Arc Starter, Need elaboration on this idea

gazza2009au
16th Oct 2017, 07:29 PM
Hi guys some may know i just picked up a antique tig welder and it is using incredible amounts of power over 50amps from the power point, i took into consideration my options of getting a dedicated 32amp line (i may move house, renting), i have thought about petrol generators (not cost effective), than i remember a diy high frequency arc starter being made the first one i seen used batteries but that idea i think has been removed from the internet

but there is this type pictured

i know they are using a car ignition coil but there is no further information on the design i can't seem to find a diagram of any of these diy models, can someone please elaborate on what the internal components are called so i can look them up and see how they work and do some research?

cheers

Lovey71
17th Oct 2017, 11:36 AM
G'day Gazza,
check this link out for the circuit diagram of that unit
High-Frequency Start Box (http://www.dudley.nu/projects/hfstart/index.html)
Steve.

gazza2009au
17th Oct 2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks Steve :2tsup:

BaronJ
22nd Oct 2017, 01:38 AM
Hi Gazza,

I believe that one of the reasons that these units are no longer available, is that the high voltage can break down the welder transformer insulation. I have an old buzz box welder where one of these ionizers has been fitted and it has a low resistance to earth causing it to blow the mains fuse. Swapping the live / neutral wires or removing the earth connection allows the transformer to work, but it is dangerous to use like this.

gazza2009au
22nd Oct 2017, 10:52 AM
I was thinking of buying one of these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arc-Starter-Stabilizer-Kit-AC-DC-Welder-High-Frequency-TIG-Stick-Aluminum/222669742283?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

the seller ships to Australia but by my calculations it works out about $150 AUD, Its not cheap to send anything out of the US to AU minimum like $30 USD

BaronJ
22nd Oct 2017, 09:08 PM
Hi Gazza,

I had a look at that Ebay link. I did note that the UK is one of the countries not shipped to !
The idea of an RF choke is good, but I don't know if that would be sufficient on its own. The idea is to prevent the high voltage RF from breaking down the welders insulation by choking it off before it can get back in there.

gazza2009au
22nd Oct 2017, 10:07 PM
Baron, Australia isn't on the list either mate but i just sent the seller a msg asking if posting to Aust was possible he was more than happy to