PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Betts Appliance motor

kenny_10
30th Sep 2017, 12:00 PM
I have this Betts motor that the previous owner had running a grinding wheel... it has only 3 wires coming from the motor.. red , black and white.
the fellow used only the red and black and snipped the white one.
Although it runs, it does not always do so in the same direction !!!... sometimes it sits and hums .. There is no capacitor or centrifugal switch fitted.

BobL
30th Sep 2017, 01:19 PM
What's your question(s) ?

I'll take a guess?

The fact that it sometimes sits and hums (if you leave it doing that too long it will cook the run coil) suggests the start coil is not hooked up and that's what the white connection is probably for. The start coil usually has a cap in series to generate the phase shift needed to start the motor.

Being an open frame motor it's designed to be inside an appliance so it should really be enclosed and then if it doesn't have one it will need a fan.

kenny_10
30th Sep 2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks BobL...
3 things...
1.. What size cap would I need ?
2.. Will I need a Start or a Run Cap ?
3.. White wire to one side of the Cap... but where do I connect the other wire to ?
As for cooling...It has a fan on either end of the rotor... should be OK as long as I position the vents downwards ..

BobL
30th Sep 2017, 05:43 PM
Thanks BobL...
3 things...
1.. What size cap would I need ?
2.. Will I need a Start or a Run Cap ?
3.. White wire to one side of the Cap... but where do I connect the other wire to ?
As for cooling...It has a fan on either end of the rotor... should be OK as long as I position the vents downwards ..

Humm . . . . I'm not comfortable in responding to these questions - I'll leave it to someone else if they wish to take the risk.

kenny_10
30th Sep 2017, 06:36 PM
Thanks BobL... I understand.

Grahame Collins
30th Sep 2017, 07:47 PM
DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by MetalWork Forum's administrators
or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
or asking questions regarding electrical work.
We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.

WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
Members following such information do so at their own risk

Updated by Grahame - 29-9 -17 6.46 PM

eskimo
5th Oct 2017, 11:40 AM
10mfd or thereabaouts

BaronJ
22nd Oct 2017, 02:13 AM
Hi Kenny,

Have you contacted "Betts" ?

For that size motor 8 to 12 uf is a common size. The capacitor is usually wired between red and white with black being common or neutral, live going to red or white depending on which way the motor runs. You will need a continuously rated 275 volts AC or higher voltage capacitor.

Usual disclaimer applies.