PDA

View Full Version : Herbert Drummond Lathe clone.

kenny_10
28th Sep 2017, 08:02 PM
Who has one of those round bed Herbert lathes ?... or any info on them ? !!

franco
29th Sep 2017, 12:47 AM
There is a lot of information on the Drummond round bed lathes here if you have not seen it already:
Drummond Round-bed Lathe (http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummondroundbed/)

FWIW the poster here:
LATHE Drummond A Type 4" Round Bed (http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=41460.0)
says that A E Herbert imported the round bed lathes they sold from Drummond. Tony Griffiths from Lathes.UK does not mention that A E Herbert manufactured a round bed Drummond clone in Australia.

I found another reference elsewhere saying the same thing, i.e. that A E Herbert imported the round bed lathes they sold from Drummond.

Frank

kenny_10
29th Sep 2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks Frank.
I would have assumed that if they were only retailed by Herbert, the badging would display this important fact !!. I am compiling a list of non similarities to send to Tony .. its only when you look closely that they become apparent !.. such as the 8 gear sizes quoted by Tony,...they are different to the ones on the Herbert !.. secondly, the fine threads used on the Herbert are UNF,... not BSF, as I would expect to find on the British made machines .

morrisman
29th Sep 2017, 04:25 PM
I believe Herbert also made conventional lathes in the 1950's , so it's not surprising to find out if they had previously made a clone of the round bed Drummond . I have pics of a Herbert that was for sale down here a few years ago, it was about 600 bucks but the lack of a QCGB put me off.

kenny_10
29th Sep 2017, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys...
Early days yet, but I cannot see why they would import a lathe when they were manufacturing them !

KBs PensNmore
29th Sep 2017, 08:17 PM
Probably thought for the size, it would be a limited market, and not worth production costs.
Kryn

Keith_W
30th Sep 2017, 04:49 AM
A.E. Herbert P/L was an Australian company in Alexandria NSW that made a range of lathes and machinery.
They had a second company Bain & Co as well. For the domestic market they made metal lathes which are the round bed Drumond type and for woodwork was the Model B and C types.
They also made Automatic Bar Feeder lathes was well. In the war years they made special machinery and parts as well.
An engineer called Harry James Townsend was the brains behind a lot of the designs. I know this as Harry lived across the road from me when I was a boy and the Townsends were close family friends.
Harry gave my father a Drumond and Model C Lathe, they were made up from prototype parts or just spare parts that Harry had in his workshop.
A. E. Herbert and Harry were big into Steam Trains and Herbert had a one mile steam track at his Luddenham property, I did go there once as a boy.
A.E. Herberts closed down as he went through a divorce and he developed mental conditions.
Herbert did like to copy other lathe makers designs and make changes that he felt improved them, the Herbert lathes do come up for sale at times but I would say that there isn't many still around.

Keith_W.

.RC.
30th Sep 2017, 08:46 AM
Early Nuttall's were marked Herbert as well. Whether Herbert's first came up with the design and Nuttall took over later on.

kenny_10
30th Sep 2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks Keith_W... I think it's a wrap !!!... would still be
interested in hearing from anyone who has one of these... my serial number is #293..

DSEL74
6th Nov 2020, 05:12 PM
Thanks Keith_W... I think it's a wrap !!!... would still be
interested in hearing from anyone who has one of these... my serial number is #293..

Old thread. Are you still interested in these old round be lathes?

I have one and am talking to two others that have them also.

YBAF
6th Nov 2020, 07:12 PM
Early Nuttall's were marked Herbert as well. Whether Herbert's first came up with the design and Nuttall took over later on.

Yeah, old thread..:cool:

So far on Trove I’ve only found “Nuttall & Herbert” lathes listed for sale in post WW2 military disposals auctions. Were the N&H brand a war time artefact ?