PDA

View Full Version : Old worn dead centre

KBs PensNmore
27th Aug 2017, 07:35 PM
Wondering if anyone has an old Morse 2 dead centre, that they don't need anymore? I know I can buy one, but I'm trying something out and didn't really want to buy new if I could help it. Non Carbide tipped preferred.
When I say Dead Centre, I don't mean a cemetery:D
Thanks
Kryn

Grahame Collins
27th Aug 2017, 10:20 PM
I know one came with the Metalbastard Lathe. I shall a look in in the morning .If I can find the thing, it is yours.

Grahame

KBs PensNmore
27th Aug 2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks for that Graham.
Kryn

Grahame Collins
28th Aug 2017, 11:38 AM
I looked an found the MT but its a 3 not a MT2.
Bugger! sorry about that.
Grahame

Michael G
28th Aug 2017, 12:40 PM
Kryn, what do you want it for? I think I have a (soft) steel MT2 blank that may do.

Michael

KBs PensNmore
28th Aug 2017, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the offer Grahame, if'n I get to a stage I need a 3 MT, I'll try to remember where it was.
Thanks Michael, it's so I can turn that stuff that burns and keeps us warm,
I'm making some spinning wheel bobbins, drill the hole through the centre, and then mount it between centres. Currently I'm using a spur drive, but the centre is a very loose fit, consequently it doesn't run in the centre, which is why I'm looking for a dead centre, to try and make it quicker instead of having to end for end them.
Kryn

Michael G
28th Aug 2017, 08:54 PM
What I have is the MT2 end, so I can easily put a 60 degree cone on the end or any other shape for that matter. These things are soft steel but could be case hardened if needed and for wood it should not matter too much anyway. Let me know what you want and I'll sort it.
(Do you need a tang on the end or is square alright?)

Michael

KBs PensNmore
28th Aug 2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks Michael, a 60 degree cone on it would be fantastic, Thank you. It can be longer so no need to trim it down.
Thanks again,
Kryn