PDA

View Full Version : NBN and resulting changes to email addresses

Mike4
22nd Aug 2017, 04:06 PM
The wonderful NBN is here and my business has to now change its email address , something which is going to cost work and cause a lot of grief.

I would like to have the ability to legally do something to the "bulldropping "spreaders who have been booming up this government pushed mess.

However it seems that all users cannot have any say and just have to wear it , well changing email address may not be a big deal to private individuals however businesses are severly impacted , I will be recovering costs from someone .
Michael

SurfinNev
22nd Aug 2017, 07:03 PM
I got NBN now and same email addresses. Is this a business thing?

Oldneweng
22nd Aug 2017, 07:35 PM
I also have NBN and the same email address. This should be the case provided you still use the same provider. In order to avoid this issue it is a good idea to use an external or 3rd party email address. I intend to change providers, but one of the problems is just as Mike has pointed out. If you use a 3rd party address there is no need to change it and you are able to change providers whenever you want. I have a 3rd party secure email address that is based on a server buried deep under the Swiss Alps in an ultra secure facility. I don't need this security, but it was a well recommended provider. My account is free. The one issue with using this email address is that the emails are not stored on your computer and you have to wait for each one to be loaded when you click on it. You can't read your emails when the internet is down.

Mike I wish you luck with getting someone to pay for your trouble, but I don't like your chances. Nobody forced you to use that address and I guess that would be the answer you will receive. I would like to see a central naming organisation for email addresses just like for web addresses.

I asked my provider how long my email address would would remain active if I changed to another provider and was told "for as long as I keep using it". I would not like to count on this but it seems that it should be available for quite a while.

Dean

Gavin Newman
23rd Aug 2017, 09:54 AM
The NBN, in and of itself, has nothing to do with your email address. The NBN is the wholesale "plumbing" that gets internet traffic to your premises at the direction of your internet service provider (ISP). The ISP is the entity that controls the speed (within the limits of the connection), the volume of data available and your email addresses.

If your email addresses are changing as part of your transition to the NBN it is at the ISP level you should be investigating the reasons.

BobL
23rd Aug 2017, 11:16 AM
This reminds me of my first day at work in the US when I accidentally spilled some coffee onto the department secretaries shoes. The first thing she blurted out was "I'm going to sue you if these shoes are damaged".

old1955
23rd Aug 2017, 12:20 PM
Michael I'm on an NBN plan and email addresses haven't changed. They did however issue a temporary [email protected] during the changeover from ADSL to NBN plan. This did not interrupt my email addresses.

Ross

.RC.
23rd Aug 2017, 02:14 PM
This reminds me of my first day at work in the US when I accidentally spilled some coffee onto the department secretaries shoes. The first thing she blurted out was "I'm going to sue you if these shoes are damaged".

Bob you have it all wrong, you are supposed to spill it on their dress, then help them remove said wet clothing. :D

sacc51
23rd Aug 2017, 06:21 PM
Your email address is tied to your ISP, not NBN. NBN is simply the transmission method. If you change your ISP regularly, use one of the email providers like gmail, GMX, yahoo, hotmail, etc, there are lots of them.

Mike4
23rd Aug 2017, 10:01 PM
My Email address is vital to my business, I am not someone who just accepts the garbage that telstra and the others spew out .
If my business is impacted them I will have a genuine case.
The "plumbing" is a government provider of cabling either fibre optic or like a lot of us Fibre to the node , so I do not see any ability for a speed increase.

I received a call from Telstra "india" and the details were completely stuffed up which is typical lately.

Michael

Mike4
23rd Aug 2017, 10:02 PM
Google, yahoo and hotmail are never an option for me. I do not change email addresses .
Michael

Oldneweng
23rd Aug 2017, 11:28 PM
My Email address is vital to my business, I am not someone who just accepts the garbage that telstra and the others spew out .
The "plumbing" is a government provider of cabling either fibre optic or like a lot of us Fibre to the node , so I do not see any ability for a speed increase.

I received a call from Telstra "india" and the details were completely stuffed up which is typical lately.

Michael

Who is your email provider and why do you have to change it? I understand that your email address is important and changing it is a real pain, but unless you were not given any options at all when you started using this address then it seems like it was your choice and the cost will be your responsibility.

If you can show it was not your fault. This means that you had no option but to use this address and now that address is not available. I am not saying you won't succeed, but given the information you have provided I can see no reason to think you have a case. Why start a thread and not provide all the details? It seems pointless to say you are going to recover costs and not explain why. I have spent quite a bit of time on a forum in relation to the introduction of the NBN and have not heard of anyone who has to change their email address.

The problem with call centres and support staff these days is that they are trained to be customer service representatives, not tech support. They generally do not actually know anything except for the standard answers they are provided with. I am having an email discussion with my electricity provider about what I see as an accounting mistake. They don't owe me any money, it is just that they have listed an incorrect figure for the total payment from a previous month. First reply told me I did not owe anything for the wrong month. Second reply told me that I did not owe anything for the correct month except that is not at all what I asked and a totally incorrect figure was quoted as the pre discount amount. This led me to believe that they don't really read the emails as they are so used to passing off standard replies. I suggested that he ask an accounting trained person about it before replying again.

Maybe they just use a dart to choose which answer to use today? This is a constant ongoing problem with many organisations, stores, EBay etc. It takes about 4 goes to get them to listen to your question, then another 4 to get them to understand the problem.

Dean

joez
24th Aug 2017, 10:37 AM
If you need to change your address , I would suggest you purchase your own domain and then you will own your email address by default.

That way no matter what anyone does you will keep your email address in the future.

Joez

sacc51
24th Aug 2017, 10:52 AM
Don't change your ISP then your email address won't change - simple.

.RC.
24th Aug 2017, 01:43 PM
It could be the case Mike4 might have an old ISP email address that is obsolete. Early on there used to be email addresses ending in .net or .com

Do not see many .net ones these days. Some Telstra ones used to end in just .com others in .com.au Same for .net ones.

sacc51
24th Aug 2017, 06:08 PM
If your email has changed then obviously you have, no one else can change it!

Mike4
24th Aug 2017, 08:15 PM
If your email has changed then obviously you have, no one else can change it!

I did not change my email address as some have wrongly assumed, I had set up a system which gave me 24/7 reliability , wireless dongle to fall back on with a laptop which could run all required software.
Now because I have no choice but to stay with Telstra as there are no other providers of a reliable system .
My ISP is currently TPG with whom I have had a very good relationship with.
However they dont seem to be able to get a look in , I dont want to go to some of the wireless providers as I have very serious security concerns.

I have asked to keep a dialup with TPG so that I keep my email address , but as Telstra along with many other so called Australian businesses have an overseas call centre staffed by very polite people who have no idea of how to resolve a problem only make it worse by switching you around several people all of whom have no idea .

Then people wonder why I get very agro on the phone as each askes for my details " for privacy" , that is another matter which really winds me up , if ever I get close to John Howard I will let he\im have an earfull of what I think of his act.

Michael

droog
24th Aug 2017, 08:32 PM
I think some of us are missing out on some of the details here so not quite following your problem.

Have you asked TPG if they can provide you an internet connection via NBN in your particular area ?

I cannot see the link between the NBN and "no choice but to stay with Telstra" as they are separate organisations. I am NBN connected with iiNET (TPG) as my ISP.

sacc51
24th Aug 2017, 08:55 PM
This is just absolute nonsense, makes no sense at all!

Mike4
24th Aug 2017, 09:33 PM
TPG and others cannot provide the mobile coverage that Telstra does , I use mobiles on a daily basis as many businesses do and to have coverage in remote regions where I work I do not have a choice of service provider.

The email issue is one that I will have to solve my way , wont be some nice approach either as I am over the time wasting office dwellers..

TPG cannot provide what I want and at a cost effective price , while there are other "providers " they are not worth asking as they are only interested in short range coverage.

I also only wish to have one account not multiple so called providers who will not work together .

I know that the NBN and Telstra are seperate organisations , but why do we have to be forced to change from something that works to an unknown .

The current copper and fibre networks may not be the best but at least it works most of the time.

EG if the power goes off no communications with the new system .

None of this was explained by the people who were appointed to contact businesses, they like all concerned were only interested in getting someone to sign up , very little is explained as to what happens if there is a problem like a power outage somewhere else and the node which are connected to looses power.

I do not seen backup power generation anywhere near the nodes. Maybe its in the category of being too expensive .

I do not see why placing all of my business details on the forum is going to be of benefit to me as quite a bit of what I do will not be made public for various contractural reasons as well as what I regard as private.

I think it was a mistake to post about this in the first place as what I say is being twisted and people want more information.

I do not request a persons full life details when they come to me to get work done ,just Name , address and what the problem currently is with want they wish to have repaired.

I am more into impersonal dealings where the "normal social "things dont get a mention.

Michael

snapatap
24th Aug 2017, 09:39 PM
why don't you just get a SIM card on a plan from TPG for your wireless dongle, then you can keep your current email address. simple.

Oldneweng
24th Aug 2017, 10:15 PM
Michael, starting a thread on a forum more or less implies that you will provide a certain level of information in order to explain your position. It is pointless not to provide enough information for people to understand what is going on. If you are not willing to provide this information then you should not have started the thread.

My point about having problems getting anyone else to accept responsibility still applies. If you started using any email address supplied to you by an organisation that can not act as a provider any more, then it is likely that you will just be told that you were not forced to use that address. You have been free to use any address available in the market place, but you chose not to. I am not having a go. I am just pointing out the facts. I am in the same position as you are, but only for my personal address.

and what the problem currently is with want they wish to have repaired.

This pretty much covers it. You want to know what the problem is? That is precisely why we are asking for information.

Dean

Mike4
25th Aug 2017, 08:16 AM
Time to go back to lurking ,not worth any more comments in any arra.

Mike4
25th Aug 2017, 09:50 AM
I dont probe as to what the problem , just work it out from what they put in as the problem .

Part of my job is to work out what is wrong , even if a little obscure and fix it thats how I was trained and how I work.

No more to say on the subject as its wasting time and getting frustrating ..

Michael

Mike4
25th Aug 2017, 10:22 AM
If you bothered to read what I posted TPG and other so called providers can give coverage in the areas which I work .
Michael

Oldneweng
25th Aug 2017, 11:28 AM
I dont probe as to what the problem , just work it out from what they put in as the problem .

"That doohicky over the other side there don't work properly! Can you fix it?"

Is that what you accept from your customers and work it out from? You are the one twisting things. To work out a problem you need a certain minimum amount of information. That is all people are asking for.

If you want advice you need to provide information. Enough information.

If you are just having a moan, fine have a moan, but maybe warn people that you are only giving half the story. If you are not willing to provide "sufficient" information for people to understand what the problem is, on the internet due to lack of privacy then you should be using a different medium.

Funny thing. Giving minimal information can have amusing results in comments sections, forums etc. I find it all the time. Throw in just so much information and sit back and wait for the BS to start rolling in. Just yesterday I read some comments on a video about spotting a fake liar. Subject was guns, but relevant to any situation. A guy mentioned a 3500ft shot. The negative comments about that just kept rolling in. Then he said he deliberately left out the fact that he was in the military doing firing range training on a "big" gun. People just made assumptions and proceeded to have a go at him.

That did not happen here Michael. People just tried to understand your problem.

Dean

sacc51
25th Aug 2017, 11:28 AM
You said it: 'Frustrating'!

Mike4
25th Aug 2017, 11:56 AM
As I posted earlier , I was trained to think and diagnose faults with minimal information or often the wrong information.

That is why I dont always come across as "friendly", just used to getting on with the job at hand and digging through the misinformation.

Has been that way for all of my working life so I often tend to dispense with a lot of the niceties and chit chat that others are used to.

I am used to driving long distances to get to a site , fix the problem and then drive back to be ready to go next day , and I do have a large range of spares to pick from as most suppliers dont keep the stuff I use , in the quantities required for a week , in their stock.

Now I will find a solution to my problem ,in a way that suits me , may not be how others would do it but I really dont care.

Michael

Oldneweng
25th Aug 2017, 12:33 PM
Doesn't change a thing.

People need information to understand a problem.

I was trained to think and diagnose faults with minimal information or often the wrong information.

With the item to be repaired right in front of you.

How would you go diagnosing something from wrong information when the item in question is on the other side of the country and no more information is provided? That is what you are asking us to do.

My car won't start! What is wrong with it? If you can do what you are implying you will be able to answer this, but you cannot do so without more information. Think about this.

Having a go at others just because you are incapable of seeing things from their perspective is not the smartest thing to do.

Dean

sacc51
25th Aug 2017, 12:54 PM
"That is why I dont always come across as "friendly"

That's funny, I'm sure most here would class you as an amateur. I'm prickly, argumentative, opinionated and just generally hard to get along with: Wait a minute, I've just described several forumites!

Isn't it good to know your not special!

Much as I like an argument, this thread is going nowhere, I suggest we leave it!

droog
25th Aug 2017, 07:22 PM
Some people post on here to help provide information from area's that they have expertise in, I can think of a couple of ideas that may suit your needs but without further information would simply be a stab in the dark.
If you talk to an ISP they will try and sell you options that they sell, that is their job. You need someone that will look at your needs and find solution to them which may be from a number of providers.

I wish you luck in resolving you issues.

Oldneweng
25th Aug 2017, 10:53 PM
I'm with sacc51 on this. Oh, about leaving the thread, not the other. :D

I know people call me stubborn, but???? :no:

Generally when people offer ideas it is considered the right thing to at least pretend to give them consideration. :?

I think Whirlpool would be the best forum to ask about this anyway. That would be an interesting thread and Michael thinks he was treated badly here. :U

Dean

Mike4
17th Jan 2018, 07:47 PM
Telstra have set up our phones on NBN , the internet and most importantly email is with TPG .

I finally got the morons in sales to listen and now have what I required not the crap that some 20 year old facebook addict liked.

Michael

sacc51
20th Jan 2018, 01:44 AM
Oldneweng, remember my words: ' I'm prickly, argumentative, opinionated and just generally hard to get along with.' that's is why you all ignore me so - isn't that just so sad, oh my, I'm gutted!

I do have but one saving grace though, I will help anyone in need - no matter. So, never let it be said I'm not at least a little human! with that in mind Oldneweng, don't ever agree with anything I say or you may find yourself referred to as prickly, argumentative, opinionated or hard to get along with, or as others have alluded, an Ahole. Now wouldn't that be catastrophic.

Did I mention I was also the owner of an atypical sense of humour?

I'm probably what is referred to as a facebook addict, having started five groups. Actually more than five, five is all the belligerant me has allowed to continue. At 68 though, surely in form nor demeanor do I resemble an archetypical 20 year old???

Great news Mike4!

Mike4
20th Jan 2018, 11:22 AM
By the way the Whirlpool forum seems to be full of themselves , very critical not much help .

I also do not divulge any information that I consider relative to my business operations as it is not what I wish to be broadcast over the internet.

If people cant work out what someone wants from what I regard as sufficient to get the general gist of a problem I do not know how you can operate in todays world .

Michael