PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe

Bodgy
5th Aug 2005, 03:08 PM
Any opinions or advice on this lathe? I only want something to cut threads, turn down small bar and generally bugger about.

I cannot understand how you can make anything this complex for $600!! Is there a catch? It even comes with some cutters.

http://www.rapserv.com.au/category1111_1.htm

Bodgy
"Even fools are right somethimes' - WSC

ptc
5th Aug 2005, 06:00 PM
has it got a coolant tank ?

gatiep
5th Aug 2005, 09:16 PM
Bodgy

They are excellent value for the money but really only suitable for non ferrous stuff ( aliminium, brass, acrylics, polycarb etc ), unless you have forever to turn it, plus remember that they are very suitable to modelmakers. They are small, swing over bed is about 150 mm, but over the saddle is minute. Between centres distance is 250 mm but once you put a centre ito the spindle and tailstock you'll only end up with about a usable 475 mm if you are lucky.As far as I remember it comes with a metric pitch range for thread cutting and the imperial one is optional extra. At that price they don't have a cross slide, which makes them about as useless as a bicycle without pedals. Rather have a look at the $995 model.
The C1 is ideal for watchmakers, miniature clockmakers and mini steam moddelers.

rodm
5th Aug 2005, 11:23 PM
Got to agree with Joe. These are a Micro lathe and suited to model makers and limited in their application. They are however good quality for the price so if it fits your application it might be worth a closer inspection. The small lathes generally have plastic gears but don't worry to much because they are reasonably cheap to replace.
There is quite a large following for the 7X10 (inches), or the extended versions 7X12 and 7X14 mini lathes. These are true mini (not micro) lathes and have enough grunt and capacity to keep you happy for years. These lathes can be made into CNC quite reasonably (for CNC) and there a a few kits around that can be purchased.
Try here for an example of the lathe
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-X12-VARIABLE-SPEED-MINI-METAL-LATHE-NEW_W0QQitemZ7535220196QQcategoryZ105827QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I frequently buy from Ozmestore and would recommend him and he has a very good shipping arrangement with TNT. I don't have any association with him apart from being a buyer.
Also have a look at this site which will either tell you everything you need to know about these lathes or point you to other sites for more information.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/
I have spent a couple of years browsing the internet for lathe and miling information so if you want more links send me a PM.

Here is the same lathe you have been looking at for a start price of $499. Note that in this listing and the link that you provided it is refered to as a mini lathe. :mad: It is actually a Micro lathe if you have a close look at the photo.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-PRECISION-MINI-METAL-LATHE-WITH-ACCESSORIES_W0QQitemZ7536200649QQcategoryZ633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

glock40sw
6th Aug 2005, 01:01 PM
SNIP...I frequently buy from Ozmestore and would recommend him and he has a very good shipping arrangement with TNT. I don't have any association with him apart from being a buyer.SNIP...
I agree.
I've bought a few items from Ozmestore1.
They ship very fast and their gear is first rate.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton.

P.S. as for lathes, I got a 15"x41" 3 phase dinosaur with coolant and foot brake. She goes like the clappers

Bodgy
6th Aug 2005, 07:22 PM
has it got a coolant tank ?
Can't see one in the doco, so probably no. Its the left hand with an oil can and a big mop.

Its become academic, thanks to the excelllent advice I'll let this new toy go by.

It seems I need a mini lathe not a micro. I will want to cut threads, metric and imperial, to suit whatever it is I'm fixing or building. I also planned on working with steel. I have little experience with alloys (nor steel lately) but find they clag up the tools being so soft and are a pain to work with.

I'll wait until I can justify $1k on a decent one not to mention finding room in the shed.

Still don't understand how one can market, at retail, even a micro lathe for $600 (or $499 if you can google).

Bodgy

soundman
6th Aug 2005, 11:50 PM
That lathe can also be seen at carbatec and jaycar.
Start looking close & It don't look that attractive.
For $1G to $1.5G you can get something pretty decent from hare & forbes. I've been looking at small metal lathes for a while myself, It wont happen any time soon but one will come to live here one day.
cheers