PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinary Hydraulic Wood Splitter

Oldneweng
15th Jun 2017, 10:03 PM
As mentioned in another thread, this morning I got a call to try to start a splitter motor for SWMBO's friend. Some may recall me mentioning "Don" who made this splitter. I was surprised to see this splitter when I arrived as the last I knew he had a shop bought unit. Apparently he decided the previous one was not good enough so he built this one himself. I will let the pictures tell the story.

View from the towing end. This shows just how much planning and design went into this engineering masterpiece. Note the economical method used for the hydraulic tank cap.

Working end.

Working end closer in. Note the precision placement of all the strucural members and the starter system sitting on the table. Yes that is a socket extension for a handle.

The underside of the lifting platform. More precision engineering.

Another view which clearly shows the quality of the work. Note the special welding technique plus the planning and design aspects incorporated into this equipment.

A close up of the axle mounting. The RHS on top of the axle is cut off a trailer chassis and welded to the frame. An extraordinarily economical method of construction. The left U-Bolt is on an angle due to its mount bracket being bent down, the axle is bent so the wheel leans in, but I believe this is just a balancing mechanism to even out the large difference in wheel and tyre widths.

No expense spared in designing and building the pump mount.

I think this is the best part tho. Notice how the ram / blade design incorporates a lubrication system so that there is always lubrication to assist the blade in splitting the wood. Pure genius.

When I first arrived I walked around and around this engineering marvel staring at it trying to take in all the exceptional design and workmanship. I mentioned that it looked a somewhat like my splitter in design. I was told "yeah he said that he copied the idea from Dean's splitter". My immediate reply was "I hope he hasn't (insert expletive) told anyone this is a copy of mine!!!!!!

I leave you to wonder.

Dean

KBs PensNmore
15th Jun 2017, 10:53 PM
Thanks for that Dean. I remember seeing some fabrication work done very similar by a company called RAGE. (Ruff As Guts Engineering):D. But hey, if it works good luck to them, surprising what can be found around the farm that will make some excellent machinery. What was the old saying, Necessity is the Mother of Invention.
Kryn

caskwarrior
15th Jun 2017, 11:56 PM
In this case necessities child is really darn ugly.

Oldneweng
16th Jun 2017, 12:27 AM
In this case necessities child is really darn ugly.

Just between you, me and the gatepost, so is the builder, just quietly.

Artistic is what it is. The 2 circles show ends which have been cleverly cut to look as if they are actually 2 sides of a broken weld.

The top of that piece has been made to look like a failed weld. Very clever. The hook is one off of a ratchet strap. That cable lifts the lifting platform, I think.

Dean

jhovel
16th Jun 2017, 08:07 PM
I love the detailed description of the engineering prowess of the builder.
Nicely done, Dean.
I might have kept the post until April 1 next year.... but thanks for sharing early.

Oldneweng
16th Jun 2017, 08:45 PM
I love the detailed description of the engineering prowess of the builder.
Nicely done, Dean.
I might have kept the post until April 1 next year.... but thanks for sharing early.

Thanks Joe. I couldn't hold off until April. :no:

Another point I forgot.

The piece that the red arrow is pointing at is 25mm x 125mm or 150mm flate plate. :? This has me puzzled. I am not sure why the design calls for such massive strength in this area as not much weight would be carried here. With my splitter I sometimes put pieces here that require further splitting, while I split another part of the same ring. The motor mount is welded to it so maybe that has something to do with it. It might be for future expansion in case he wants to fit a bigger motor. Of course. That must be it. :doh:

This splitter is setup the opposite of mine so the wood travels the other way. This is a good enough reason to say it is not a copy of mine isn't it. :C

Dean

mcostello
17th Jun 2017, 12:26 AM
He's giving Farmer welding a bad name.:rolleyes:

Oldneweng
17th Jun 2017, 01:30 AM
He's giving Farmer welding a bad name.:rolleyes:

Agricultural engineering! His former home is a single house with a large back yard (full of junk) right in the middle of farming country so he is (was) not quite a farmer.:D I'm not quite a farmer too, but I do have some cows and sheep and a bit more pride in my work.

Dean

mcostello
17th Jun 2017, 06:02 AM
I live on an old farm and am able to kill almost everything I plant, I'll stick to machining.:D

Keith_W
17th Jun 2017, 06:28 AM
When you drove onto the property did you hear dueling banjo's ?
I can see he used the "throw metal into a pile and weld what you can" method, all carefully cleaned for good weld penetration.
Its a wonder the unit dosnt fall apart working under pressure.

Keith_W.

Oldneweng
17th Jun 2017, 12:14 PM
When you drove onto the property did you hear dueling banjo's ?

Hmm. If he lived in Murica I know exactly what he would be called. Does it help that all 3 of his siblings are on a disability pension along with him. He still works pretty much full time and cuts firewood for sale.:?:ranting2::club:

I can see he used the "throw metal into a pile and weld what you can" method, all carefully cleaned for good weld penetration.

Oh.... Yes.... And here I was thinking it was careful planning and design. Silly me.:doh:

Its a wonder the unit dosnt fall apart working under pressure.

Don't say that. I will probably have to fix it and I will find it hard to know where to start. There is one part of it that is very well made. The drawbar. It was cut off a trailer and welded on and apears to be in good condition. The coupling is probably worn out tho. If I was given this I would probably save the drawbar and toss the rest, replacing the coupling as well. Even the hydraulic hoses have numerous leaks at joints.

I think that the leaks from the ram that lubricate the blade also act as pressure relief to restrict the amount of pressure exerted.:U

Dean

LordBug
17th Jun 2017, 03:37 PM
What an absolutely glorious machine :D
I'd say he's got extensive welding and engineering experience, as he's merely testing the utmost limits of what can be done with metal, the deceptive strength hiding behind mounds of cocky poo and gas axe artwork :p

Oldneweng
17th Jun 2017, 07:47 PM
What an absolutely glorious machine :D
I'd say he's got extensive welding and engineering experience, as he's merely testing the utmost limits of what can be done with metal, the deceptive strength hiding behind mounds of cocky poo and gas axe artwork :p

Yes, my thoughts are along the same line. If you ask him he will tell you all about his capabilities and how good he is.

When I was splitting wood today I stopped and had a good look at my splitter and realised what a mess I had made of it. It looks boring, uninteresting, plain and practical. With a bit of artistic foresight I could have had something with a lot more excitement and appeal. Something that would say something to the world.

Dean

KBs PensNmore
17th Jun 2017, 11:58 PM
If your neighbours machine could say "Something that would say something to the world" It would say "I'm embarrassed, hide me PLEASE???":D

Jekyll and Hyde
19th Jun 2017, 01:25 AM
I especially like the second last photo in the first post, that demonstrates how carefully the number of bolts and their tension has been selected in order to allow the perfect amount of float in the axial alignment of the drive coupling.... Must have taken hours and hours to get that adjustment just so.

Oldneweng
19th Jun 2017, 10:46 AM
I especially like the second last photo in the first post, that demonstrates how carefully the number of bolts and their tension has been selected in order to allow the perfect amount of float in the axial alignment of the drive coupling.... Must have taken hours and hours to get that adjustment just so.

You noticed that too. It was a special piece of engineering.

how carefully the number of bolts

Spot on. Unbelievable amount of calculation required here, also balanced by

their tension

which in some cases was calculated to be very low to acheive the required result.

This process was of course made much more complicated by the fact that tha plate the pump is attached (is that the right word) to had to have a large bend put in it. I think the pump mounting is some kind of floating arrangement. Very clever. Beyond my understanding. Actually everything I see about the "engineer extraordinaire" who made this is beyond my understanding.

The same care was taken in placing the bolts used in the beam clamping for the knife slide. I did not get a shot that shows them properly, but their positions show exceptional care in calculating the clamping pressures required. No simple straight lines here. The knife picture shows a side on view, but to get a proper appreciation you need to see the bolt pattern face on.

Dean

chambezio
19th Jun 2017, 02:08 PM
Dean I hope you are going to give this master piece a coat of paint.....how much can a coat of paint disguise? Who knows the paint may make it look.....

Keith_W
19th Jun 2017, 03:01 PM
I don't think there is enough paint in the world to make it look good.

Oldneweng
19th Jun 2017, 05:37 PM
Dean I hope you are going to give this master piece a coat of paint.....how much can a coat of paint disguise? Who knows the paint may make it look.....

Me? No! Its not my problem. I will just get asked to get it going if it has problems as it is used by SWMBO's friend who has just managed to get rid of the engineer (hubby) who built it, at long last and won't want him near the place in case he takes root again.

I have enough problems with my own splitter. I have discovered that the hydraulic fill / dip tube which is about 350mm high has developed cracks around the weld. It is welded to an LPG cylinder (18kg?) which is sitting horizontal. As the tube is welded to the now top edge of the cylinder and the oil is less than half way it does not leak oil except for a tiny bit that must splash up somehow. Obviously the tube has been vibrating too much for many years. I had a lot of trouble trying to weld it originally. It just kept burning holes. That was before I had a mig and I am hoping it will be easier this time.

My splitter did get a coat of paint when I built it. Heritage green I think it is. I have some other structural improvements to make at some time and it will get a fresh coat then, maybe, if I have some paint. Maybe I can do it in Dance Studio Blue. (Shaper).

Keith has the right idea. :2tsup:

Dean

Keith_W
20th Jun 2017, 04:33 AM
I too am having some problems in sorting out some hydraulic problems.
In a job I have on I am trying to switch a hydraulic line on a swaging machine using a two position three port valve with a roller actuator at 700bar, problem is a valve at this rating and getting the spooling right. Next few days will be rigging up a trial before main build starts.
Job before that was a Punch Machine to bend a 4mm tab down and convex in shape on a rail, 30 ton ram traveling 35mm, all custom made. Here is a picture in the building stage and finished stage at customers.

Keith_W.368440368441

Retromilling
23rd Jun 2017, 10:55 AM
That's the thing splitting big blocks can be dangerous and that machine could just blow apart at some point in the design . Not very safe to use but seems to have done a lot of work . If you could get it for nothing and use some of the basic parts it would be possible to build a good functioning machine but the ram would need rebuilding inside and possibly the motor is worn also . Probably not worth the hassle .

Oldneweng
23rd Jun 2017, 11:44 AM
Which bits were you thinking of retaining? The towing drawbar looks to be in good shape, but I would not trust the coupling. The left wheel from behind is angled so the axle is bent. Tyres are total mismatch. The mast looks like a new bit of H section and is reasonably solid.

I started doing some work on my splitter yesterday. I want to strengthen the mast to prevent it twisting. It is 250mm I beam with 6mm flanges and probably 5mm web. Not really thick enough. I had a lot less experience when I built it and this bit was the only piece I could find at the steel merchants. They wouldn't supply cut lengths at that size. Some years ago a mate suggested boxing the top and adding some bracing to stop the twist. I did this. The bracing is 100mm x 6mm plate about 1800mm long. As soon as I used the splitter after this I realised I had put the braces on the wrong way around. :C:doh::doh: Yesterday I cut these off. My intention is to add some 75mm x 55mm (cut to size) x 700mm angle to the inside of the mast where the knife slides. This will need a 6mm strip between it and the web to clear the radius of the I beam. All welded in securely. I will then box the ends of this length in with 8mm plate then put the bracing pieces back on, the right way around.

Dean

Mike4
5th Aug 2017, 02:17 PM
Easy to be critical , I have seen both the overly neat exquisit designs and a pile of steel held together with chicken poo .

However the all seemed to work .
I do agree that some of it could have been done better , however some of the hidden gems produced by necessity have lasted for years , even if the safety guru's would freak when they saw them.

Michael

Oldneweng
5th Aug 2017, 10:14 PM
Easy to be critical , I have seen both the overly neat exquisit designs and a pile of steel held together with chicken poo .

However the all seemed to work .
I do agree that some of it could have been done better , however some of the hidden gems produced by necessity have lasted for years , even if the safety guru's would freak when they saw them.

Michael

Have you actually looked at the pictures? This total piece of junk is missing even the chicken poo. It is a total piece of %#!*. I know the guy who built it, much to my dismay. He is the sort of person you don't want to be near. He is slimy, sleazy and anything else you want to mention. On a disabled pension, works full time and cuts firewood as well. We got an old quad bike from him. It had no brakes at all and he fitted useless bald tyres on little car wheels that had a slightly bigger hole pattern than the bike. No problem he had a hammer. The worst thing was our 15yr old grandson was coming for a week. Great this guy said, he can ride the bike around. :C:no: I also got a tractor off him. The diff lock was locked on so it did not like turning corners. He said it was the right brake jamming. He hasn't got a clue.

Nope. No matter how bad it seems, the reality is really much worse.

Dean

Mike4
6th Aug 2017, 02:33 PM
Point taken.
Michael

Oldneweng
6th Aug 2017, 07:45 PM
Point taken.
Michael

Ha ha. Sorry, but he tends to get me like that. SWMBO is a good friend of his now ex-wife and I was constantly regaled with stories of the latest stupid thing he had done. Several times he pinched the battery out of her car because his was flat, and disappeared without telling her that she no longer had transport to travel 125km to an essential appointment.

Now he has moved out there is a lot more peace and quiet from that department. I would guess he is a Sociopath. Does not care about the consequences of his actions to other people.

One picture to look at is the hydraulic pump and mount. Yes it is missing bolts and yes the bolts are not done up tight. In post 6 is a picture which shows a socket extension with some heavy baling twine type cord which is rather frayed. This is the starting rope he left for his ex-wife to start the thing.

I could go on all day. I will resist.

One parting shot. He rang one of his 3 daughters for her birthday. Not my birthday dad. He rang the next one. Not my birthday dad. Funny thing that. They are twins.

Dean

Mike4
14th Aug 2017, 07:53 PM
You can't fix STUPID !!!!!.

But unfortunately they breed

Michael

Oldneweng
20th Aug 2017, 09:17 PM
A couple of days ago I visited the home of this splitter. SWMBO had to feed the cats for her friend so I drove her around there. The first thing I noticed was the small creek running down the driveway. The driveway is the section between the shed and the road although it would be hard to tell otherwise. I wanted to have a look to see how much of "his" junk he had removed since he had moved out. Not much. Only the stuff he has needed. There is a small fortune of power tools lying around. Maybe 10 angle grinders. I picked up a Metabo 9" as it was laying on the wet (not damp) ground. I found the source of the creek. Lots of people would love this setup. A creek running thru the back of the shed, filling a section without concrete and then meandering on thru the front section and down the drive. I could hear the tinkle of water in the shed as it worked its way under the back wall. There is an old race car sitting in the filled section. Sort of a water feature I guess. Big long tangled extension cord laying all over with some loops lying in puddles of water. It was under shelter tho so it is alright. I did check that the power was turned off just in case.

Dean

bollie7
28th Aug 2017, 09:54 PM
Gentlemen.
I do believe you are all looking at this incorrectly. The constructor of this edifice is obviously an aspiring sculptor who is working in the pre cnc, post war industrial rugged look area. Hasn't quite made it to Steam Punk.
With the correct marketing and in the right areas of Sydney, Melbourne or Cantberra, the arty farty brigade would go weak at the knees when presented with this. There could even be spilt coffee latte's in the scramble to get their platinum credid cards out to buy it.
It is obviously worthy of a place in a prime location in the foyer of a major art Gallery.

peter

Oldneweng
28th Aug 2017, 10:51 PM
I cannot deny the possiblity of your vision. I can tell you that he is certainly an artist, but usually the preceeding terms are something along the lines of "BS" or "con". Perhaps everyone just doesn't understand him. I know I don't. I have no desire to either.

I mentioned moving an angle grinder to get it off the wet ground in a previous post. A couple of days ago I had another look at his water feature and noticed running water flowing over the spot the grinder had been laying. The water feature had grown considerably. It was quite a stretch to get into the shed over it. Anyone building a shed should give this idea some thought.

Dean