PDA

View Full Version : Simple trigger/hammer mechanism

neksmerj
29th May 2017, 12:37 AM
Does anyone have a simple illustration of a trigger/hammer mechanism such that when the trigger is drawn back slightly, the trigger is lock and only when the hammer is fully pulled back will it fire.

Ie, when the trigger is partly pulled back, the gun is in safety mode.

Ken

NedsHead
29th May 2017, 01:17 AM
Does anyone have a simple illustration of a trigger/hammer mechanism such that when the trigger is drawn back slightly, the trigger is lock and only when the hammer is fully pulled back will it fire.

Ken

I think a general half cock mechanism disengages the trigger sear until the hammer is at full cock, but you want to half cock/safety with a light squeeze of the trigger?

China
29th May 2017, 02:38 AM
mm ! I don't think I want to know any more about this project Ha Ha Ha

Hornetb
29th May 2017, 11:42 AM

Ken

As Neds said, I think the safest and easiest to make is the simple half cock notch like was used on a crap load of lever actions and pistols form the ~1890 onwards. Look up Marlin trigger/hammer or Remington rolling block.

But in terms of a set up that locks the trigger (puts it on safety) on pulling, until the hammer is pulled back, sounds like about the worst possible design for a trigger you could ever come up with. Why would you ever, ever want that design?

Scenario 1: Pull trigger-click onto safety, pull hammer back, pull trigger - bang
Scenario 2: Pull hammer back from cocking previously, forget or get distracted, pull trigger to set safety - BANG (and hopefully in a safe enough direction that you can just go and change your pants).

That sounds like a BAD design.

I'll also point out that you are courting with disaster essentially implying that you are building a pistol on an open forum. It is illegal to manufacture a firearm. Full stop.

ppdmiami
29th May 2017, 11:52 AM
he's posted before and the item was deleted. wait for the chop

NedsHead
29th May 2017, 01:07 PM
Oh, it's the GB-22 guy again, I guess he's been making some progress with his build, they must have some pretty relaxed gun laws down in Victoria

Oldneweng
29th May 2017, 01:12 PM
Could be a rubber band gun.

I agree that it sounds like an unsafe idea.

A mate has a 22 Hornet with a break action just like an air rifle except that you have to physically cock the hammer. Perfect safety system. Very visible.

Dean

Hornetb
29th May 2017, 02:09 PM
Could be a rubber band gun.

Except in two posts down he's asking how to rifle a .22 cal barrel that is 75mm long. So joining dots........making a pistol.

Oldneweng
29th May 2017, 08:33 PM
Except in two posts down he's asking how to rifle a .22 cal barrel that is 75mm long. So joining dots........making a pistol.

This is just a question out of curiosity.

He is just curious, and he could still be making a rubber band gun, with a 22 cal rifled barrel. :rolleyes:

Dean

neksmerj
29th May 2017, 10:12 PM
ppdmiami and others.

No, I am not making a gun. As a product designer, now retired, I'm always keen to know how things work.

Ken

NedsHead
29th May 2017, 10:33 PM
Fair enough, I personally wouldn't care if you were so long as you're not hurting anybody, but the federal government hold a different opinion to me, I see things more black and white, to me, anything but Sovereignty is Communism, that doesn't mean I don't toe their line though..