PDA

View Full Version : ASEA motor with broken cooling fan

paul33
24th May 2017, 11:14 PM
I have a 3 phase ASEA motor, 2.2kw which runs fine, except the plastic cooling fan is broken.

Is it possible to buy a new fan for these motors? It has a spline and is a push on fit.

Thanks.

BobL
24th May 2017, 11:43 PM
Motor rewinders usually have some but if not they are dead easy to make.

367976 367977 367978

bob ward
26th May 2017, 10:19 AM
Good idea BobL, I've had the plastic fan on and off my mill motor 3 or 4 times and it suffers damage each removal, its made from the crappiest plastic, the next time it comes off will probably be its last.

Coincidentally, a thread on plastic moulding at the bottom end of the market.
Processing injection moldings super crappy and super cheap: How to do it? (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/processing-injection-moldings-super-crappy-super-cheap-how-do-335567/)

paul33
26th May 2017, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your replies. I will look at making a fan.
The fan has an internal spline and is a push fit on the motor shaft. Making a new internal spline will be a challenge for me.
I was thinking about using the spline from the original plastic fan, however it is cracked in 2 separate places.

bob ward
26th May 2017, 04:07 PM
Paul 33, the fan is lightly loaded, you will be able to get away without the spline. Make the ID of your new fan boss to the OD of your spline and secure it with a grubscrew.

BobL
26th May 2017, 06:41 PM
I've made a few of these motor fans. On the ones with splines I turn a grub screw end down so it fits between the splines. if its a biggish fan I fit two grub screws.

Have also dabbled with a 15mm nylon disc as a fan flange. Drilled a "spline inner ID hole" in the centre of the disc, heat the spline and the sides of the nylon hole up and push the disc onto the spline. However, it was difficult to get the flange square to the shaft and it would need to be done on something like a lathe to get it right so I went back to a steel flange.