PDA

View Full Version : Changing ISP will I still be able to login to Metalworkers Forum?

Grahame Collins
23rd May 2017, 05:14 PM
I an really jack of my ISP provider of 11 years,so I am changing.

Is the login software dependent on my current IP / email address.

In other words will I be able to login when I am using my new ISP or should email address changes be made before I change over from my old ISP.

I don't won't to be left out in the dark !

Thanks

Grahame

.RC.
23rd May 2017, 06:24 PM
Your ISP has nothing to do with your logging in on any forum. IP's are generally dynamic anyway unless you pay for a static one.

sacc51
23rd May 2017, 06:35 PM
What he said!

Oldneweng
23rd May 2017, 07:24 PM
Yes, as they said, but you will need to change your email address at some point if you want to get notifications etc. Your old email address should be ok for quite a long time. In the case of this forum your login is based on Username and Password. Many sites use email address instead of a username. It is your browser that handles auto logins to web sites.

One thing that I believe is a case of poor design is using email addresses based on the ISP name. I think it should work like internet addresses so that your email address does not change with your ISP. I now have an email address based on Proton Mail which is a secure email site based in Switzerland, deep underground under the Swiss Alps. It is free for a 500mb storage account. I am gradually moving my emails to the new address. I also intend to change ISP at some point. Probably the next time I strike a technical issue.

Dean

sacc51
23rd May 2017, 07:40 PM
If you don't already, use an email service like hotmail, gmx, yahoo or gmail. I've never used my ISP email addresses, you never know when your going to change your ISP.

Lovey71
23rd May 2017, 08:36 PM
I've just recently changed internet providers, no problems at all with logging on to any of the forums that I visit. As Sacc said, get yourself a web based email account as they're portable, no matter which ISP you're with. Just as an aside, Hotmail doesn't exist any more, Microsoft changed it to 'Outlook'. Only 2 of the forum's I used to visit wouldn't accept a web based email, and required me to have an ISP based one, but I don't know if that's still the case with them.

caskwarrior
23rd May 2017, 08:59 PM
I would heavily advise that you change any really important accounts over to another email address from gmail or outlook just so that things like this dont affect you in future, if you need any help just PM me and ill walk you through whats needed.

Ralph

Grahame Collins
23rd May 2017, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone,
I have a gmail account. So its looks like I'll be OK
Thanks all who contributed.

Grahame

eskimo
24th May 2017, 09:02 AM
doesn't exist any more, Microsoft changed it to 'Outlook'. Only 2 of the forum's I used to visit wouldn't accept a web based email, and required me to have an ISP based one, but I don't know if that's still the case with them.

...if you had a prior email address under @hotmail.com or it is the same login-in email address ie [email protected] or [email protected]

If I recall corectly they didnt change it to "Outlook" it was Livemail. Outlook came later.

eskimo
24th May 2017, 09:12 AM
I would heavily advise that you change any really important accounts over to another email address from gmail or outlook just so that things like this dont affect you in future, if you need any help just PM me and ill walk you through whats needed.

Ralph

That is a really good point. A lot of websites want to know your email address for security and or part of your login details. If you were using your "old" ISP as a login in, remember it as some sites will need it. Some sites dont even let you change it, which mean any emails they send wont get to you if you have changed to new address. Option is to create new account.

Lovey71
24th May 2017, 09:43 AM
...if you had a prior email address under @hotmail.com or it is the same login-in email address ie [email protected] or [email protected]

If I recall corectly they didnt change it to "Outlook" it was Livemail. Outlook came later.
Sweet, I wasn't sure of the in' and outs but I knew that hotmail didn't exist. I only found this out as I was going to sign up for an account and I kept getting sent to the outlook page. I thought I was typing something wrong, or I had a virus that kept re-directing me to the wrong page :C