PDA

View Full Version : Changing timing belts.

KBs PensNmore
23rd May 2017, 12:59 AM
For anyone doing their own mechanical work, saw this on a program on the idiot box, where a timing belt was changed without any special tooling etc.
How this was done, was to cut the belt in half along the circumference, so that you basically have 2 complete belts. Cut off the front piece, then slide on the replacement up to the old one, and cut off the old one, move the new one along so it sits fully on the pulleys. Adjust the tension, job done. No chance of misalignment's.
Hope this helps anyone.
Kryn

sossity
23rd May 2017, 01:26 PM
What I do is mark the pulleys with a marker that goes over onto the belt as well. A couple on each toothed pulley. Then take off the old belt, mark the new belt in exactly the same place (obviously line up the belts so the teeth are aligned before marking) and put on the new belt so the marks line up. I've done four that way and never bother with first lining up engine marks, just let the engine turn over to where it is steady, ie not going to rock itself over with valve pressure. even if it did, wouldn't matter, cos your marks will only fit one way. just make sure your marks aren't symmetric. I think this is dead easy, not sure if it sounds hard the way i explain it.

NedsHead
23rd May 2017, 02:33 PM
Automotive tips and tricks deserves it's own thread, my best tip for people who have a rarely/seasonally used vehicle or piece of machinery, for example a motorbike, car, boat, caravan etc, is to fully charge, and then store the electrolyte in a bottle separate from the battery, when the time comes, just put the electrolyte back it the cells and you have a fully charged battery ready to go.

I've heard of a car battery stored for 10 years this way being put straight back into service.

this is especially useful over long winter periods that would usually kill a battery.