PDA

View Full Version : Advance Power Hacksaw Rebuild

Poloris
25th Apr 2017, 10:59 PM
I've been rebuilding and modifying a 14 inch Advance power hacksaw for the last two months, Its close to being finished.
I regret not taking some before photos.
Due to limited space in my shed I needed it to be mobile so I copied the design of "Lift Lock and Roll" retractable wheels.
These make moving the saw so easy.
Rather than using a permament lever I turn the cams with a 24mm socket on a breaker bar.
I had to add locking pins to the castored wheels because once they rotated towards the saw the wheel contact point was too close to the hinge pivot point and when they hit a bump they folded in. The fixed wheels did not have this problem.
I remade and improved both halves of the vice. The original rear was broken and of poor design. The front one was a push up design that I did not like.
The old star motor when to the scrap dealer. How can these still work with so much crud inside them?
The old new motor is driven by a ABB VSD and has new switches, the cutout switch was refitted.
The new control and VSD box was fabricated from a very heavy old computer case.
I have not refitted the coolant pump for the time being.
There are a few more finishing touches to be done. That big belt guard really needs paint.
I thought I would miss my old Lotze, but this one is superior in all respects and is a real pleasure to use.
Mark

jmebgo
26th Apr 2017, 12:10 PM
Good morning,

I have an Advance power hacksaw too. Thanks for the pictures, I might do something similar to make it mine more mobile.

Joe

jatt
21st May 2017, 03:23 PM
Having it on wheels is definitely the go.

In the shop here nearly everything that is practical to put on wheels is. Just move it into place as you need it.