PDA

View Full Version : Is this motor correct

azzrock
13th Apr 2017, 11:24 PM
Could some one please confirm that this motor is right to run with a vfd.
Thanks

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170413/7cd26eb74a8d788631137ab767fdffb9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170413/5f6a297db492619668896b6a4e4b7da7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhovel
14th Apr 2017, 03:15 AM
Perfectly well! Make sure your VFD has at least 2.2kW (not kVA!) output.

azzrock
14th Apr 2017, 06:14 AM
Perfectly well! Make sure your VFD has at least 2.2kW (not kVA!) output.

Thanks joe . That's great . I'm pretty sure it's a 4.5kw drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhovel
14th Apr 2017, 09:36 PM
Thanks Joe . That's great . I'm pretty sure it's a 4.5kw drive.

That's a VERY LARGE vfd drive! How did you find that?

BobL
14th Apr 2017, 10:15 PM
With that large a VFD make sure you program the max current to suit the motor or it could damage the motor.

azzrock
15th Apr 2017, 12:12 AM
hi bob how are you?
Joee i think it 4.5kw. i brought it here ages ago in the market place.
how do you tell the rating?
i do have a 2.2 kw drive its a danfos. i think 2.2 kw is to close to
motor rating and i believe i have lots more chance of getting the
cheap drive to run the motor.

BobL
15th Apr 2017, 09:39 AM
hi bob how are you?.
Good mate, I haven't been posting much lately. Helping my son and family move. they got caught between houses and the contents of my sons shed ended up on our front veranda (some of it is still there). Lots of stuff to fix on their new place and I have been over there near every day in the last 2 weeks.

Joee i think it 4.5kw. i brought it here ages ago in the market place.
how do you tell the rating?
It should say on it.

i do have a 2.2 kw drive its a danfos. i think 2.2 kw is to close to
motor rating and i believe i have lots more chance of getting the
cheap drive to run the motor.
Those Danfos units are good and I would think about using that one

azzrock
15th Apr 2017, 10:13 AM
ahh your a good dad mate.
the reason i didnt reach for the danfos is ive never programmed or used one before. so i though it might make the job more complicated.
as well as this. the motor is 2.2kw and so is the danfos drive. so not a great match.

Any way it all went well and the motor ran first go. the only problem was the center hight of the new motor was to low so i had to shim it up about 40 mm.

Good mate, I haven't been posting much lately. Helping my son and family move. they got caught between houses and the contents of my sons shed ended up on our front veranda (some of it is still there). Lots of stuff to fix on their new place and I have been over there near every day in the last 2 weeks.

It should say on it.

Those Danfos units are good and I would think about using that one

jhovel
15th Apr 2017, 12:40 PM
I would have thought the Danfoss was a perfect match. Why did you think otherwise?

azzrock
15th Apr 2017, 01:44 PM
funny joe. i think this has been talked about a bit here.
i believe that the drive should be over rated compaired to the motor
rating by 1/3.
azz

mahgnia
15th Apr 2017, 07:49 PM
Azz,

If its a Danfoss VLT 6000, the drive should be de-rated by 30% with the loss of a phase, according to the manual.

Andrew.

azzrock
15th Apr 2017, 08:37 PM
hi Andrew. thats a good tip. its not a 6000 its a vlt 2800.
did you dowm load the manual that you were reading?
azz

mahgnia
15th Apr 2017, 09:54 PM
Azz,
I have the VLT6000 manuals in hard copy (original).

Andrew.

jhovel
16th Apr 2017, 02:27 AM
I always understood that the derating of VFDs was only for 3-phase INPUT VFDs that were used with a single phase input.... My understanding was that a single phase VFD was rated for 100% of their nominal output.

However, I had a quick look and found that the 'VLT 2800' is a series of VFDs, starting at 1/3HP output shaft power, not a specific model. Can you confirm if you have a VLT 2822 or a VLT 2822PD? They seem to be the 2.2kW output shaft modes. Only the latter one is suitable for single phase input and does not have to be derated except in high temperature, at high altitudes or in high humidity environments.....

azzrock
16th Apr 2017, 03:49 AM
I always understood that the derating of VFDs was only for 3-phase INPUT VFDs that were used with a single phase input.... My understanding was that a single phase VFD was rated for 100% of their nominal output.

However, I had a quick look and found that the 'VLT 2800' is a series of VFDs, starting at 1/3HP output shaft power, not a specific model. Can you confirm if you have a VLT 2822 or a VLT 2822PD? They seem to be the 2.2kW output shaft modes. Only the latter one is suitable for single phase input and does not have to be derated except in high temperature, at high altitudes or in high humidity environments.....

Joe thats interesting. right now i wish i had some facts to backup my belief\comment regarding this.
I think in general regardless of there type. even three phase in 3 phase out. VFD'sWshould be 1/3 bigger rating than the motor it controls.
Where i learned this i cant remember. E
ither at tafe or from a engineer at work. You have sparked my curiosity thou.I have a feeling
that its not crucial but is widely practaced. Maybee.
your probably right joe.
azz

mahgnia
16th Apr 2017, 11:11 AM
Azz,

If it is the single phase input unit I suspect it will be fine as long as your workshop is not in an overheated Tibetan monastery.
The Danfoss units seem to be very robust in my experience.

Andrew.

azzrock
16th Apr 2017, 07:08 PM
hi Andrew.
that a good point. a 2.2kw drive will work fine. you over rate the drives for things like hot days.
For now the danfos is staying on the shelf . the jobs done with the cheap drive .
ive been making lots of swarf.