PDA

View Full Version : circular glass scales - worth keeping?

bollie7
5th Apr 2017, 07:14 PM
Gday .
I salvaged an old, early electronic theodolite from a dumpster death at work. They haven't been used for years and this one had damaged optics.
I basically grabbed it to pull it apart to see what was inside.
I'm not an electronics person so have no idea.
It has 2 circular glass scales with some sort of reader attached.
I have all the electronics but I didn't test anything before disassembly. It was probably still working.
These things are pretty accurate in measuring angles and I was wondering if they would be of use to someone as encoders?
If anyone wants them they can have them if they pay for the postage.
The one on the right is for the horizontal axis and the one on the left for the vertical axis. Horizontal is designed to read complete 360deg.
Not shown in the pics are the rest of the boards.
peter

Com_VC
13th Apr 2017, 10:57 AM
Hi, could be interested in these, also any other of the electronic parts you may have for the theodolite. I have a damaged theodolite here with bad electronics but the mechanicals are good. Do you recall the model of this theodolite?

Thanks

RayG
14th Apr 2017, 12:18 AM
They look like absolute position rotary encoders. With 16 wires going to the photocells, I'd hazard a guess they might be 12 bits. Might even be encoded as direct reading in degrees.

See if you can find a part number or some sort of identification.

bollie7
14th Apr 2017, 08:59 AM
Sokkia DT4 is the theodolite. I'll have a look to see if there are any part numbers. I have the complete electronics part. Had to cut a cuople of wires to get it art but they are easily rejoined. However I didn't take note of what ribbon cable went where as I wasn't really thinking about the possibility of potential reuse at that point.
peter