PDA

View Full Version : my parting tool holder

eskimo
13th Mar 2017, 09:23 AM
I was given several (9) of these when a friend retired from his tool making job sometime ago.

I took a photo of the tool holder so that I could make one later ....err, make that yesterday, and this is what I ended up with.

the photo of the one I copied shows serrations across the plate which are obviously to ensure the blade doesnt move once clamped.
Not having an easy way of putting in serrations I resorted to using 10mm grub screws that can be tightened after the plate is firmly done up.
The flat bar is pinned with hardened dowels and welded for good luck... bitofputtyherewilldisguisethecrapyweld...lol still in the learning stages of welding

snapatap
13th Mar 2017, 06:10 PM
I threw one of those parting tool holders in the scrap bin not long ago, would have given it to you if i knew you needed one. Worst parting off tool i have ever used. The holder you made looks good.

eskimo
13th Mar 2017, 08:28 PM
Bugga.

jhovel
13th Mar 2017, 11:42 PM
Nice one!
I consider them the best parting tools I've ever used..... I even made a miniature replica of mine to fit the little lathe....
What do you dislike about them snapatap?

BaronJ
14th Mar 2017, 04:18 AM
Hi Joe,

Nice holder, I'm curious, why didn't you go for a rear style one ?

eskimo
14th Mar 2017, 07:49 AM
Hi Joe,

cos that one fits the blades?..not sure what you mean BaronJ

BobL
14th Mar 2017, 09:59 AM
Good work and that welding looks fine to me. :2tsup:

One thing I find when parting is I often seem to find I'm parting close to the chuck and luckily my parting tools have very little on the side between the parting tool and the chuck. Maybe using CS hex screws for the Mark II version ?

nadroj
14th Mar 2017, 10:09 AM
Although the pictures show tipped blades, the inclined holder also works well with HSS parting blades with a tapered cross section.
As the blade is narrower at the bottom, tilting it forward means it is also narrower behind the cutting edge.
So, there's no need to grind the desirable side clearance, as it's already there.
These are what I was taught to use at a TAFE evening course.

Jordan

jhovel
14th Mar 2017, 01:12 PM
Hi Joe,

No rear clamping/bolt-down options on my lathe.... This was as rigid as it gets on my lathe.
I use it for parting off relatively large diameters. For small stuff or grooving I use conventional indexable parting tools.

BaronJ
15th Mar 2017, 04:37 AM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that note. I did wonder if that was the reason why when I thought about it later. Anyway it still looks good :2tsup:

OldRustyToolie
3rd Apr 2017, 07:38 PM
Although the pictures show tipped blades, the inclined holder also works well with HSS parting blades with a tapered cross section.
As the blade is narrower at the bottom, tilting it forward means it is also narrower behind the cutting edge.
So, there's no need to grind the desirable side clearance, as it's already there.
These are what I was taught to use at a TAFE evening course.

Jordan

This drawing may be of use for someone looking for a project. Was an exercise for Pre-Apprentices at TAFE I believe from 1970s on. The position of the base can be welded on in a position to suit different lathes.