PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2 morse taper sleeve

dodge at4
2nd Mar 2017, 05:29 PM
hi all

I am after a 4 1/2 morse taper sleeve to fit the headstock of the generic lam Taiwanese lathes built in late 70s onwards, inside taper should be mt3

its a odd size so if you have one laying around or know a supplier who sells them please reply

the sleeves were sold with the lathes when new but over time once sold on again get lost so some one might have one in a box somewhere

thanks damo

NedsHead
2nd Mar 2017, 07:27 PM
I have a Lantaine Lam with a MT 4 1/2 as well, real PITA spindle taper, why they didn't make it an MT4 or take it up to an MT5 is beyond me and the sleeves are probably a cherished item that most people want to hold onto (like me), you might have to have one made up for it. I'm curious, What do you need it for anyway?

dodge at4
2nd Mar 2017, 09:03 PM
I wish it was mt5 to, I have been looking for the sleeve for over a year , grizzly machinery in the states have one listed but it is out of stock.

I am happy with my lantaine lathe, every thing is tight and smooth. the sleeve I want is so I can put a centre in the headstock for turning large stock between centres .

I could just put a straight centre in the 3 jaw chuck I suppose .

I think your right there hard to find but you never know if you don't ask

damo

Oldneweng
2nd Mar 2017, 09:15 PM
If it just for a centre you are better off using a sacrificial centre that you turn true every time you put it in the chuck. This way you know it really is true. It's also a lot cheaper.

Dean

AndrewOC
3rd Mar 2017, 01:22 PM
Worth a call to Mick Moyles in Sydney, used to have all sorts of weird old stuff.
A.

dodge at4
3rd Mar 2017, 03:28 PM
thanks for input dean I might just have to do as you say

I wish mick moyles was in melb I love scrounging through old weird stuff :D will give them a call thanks