PDA

View Full Version : 3D printer

China
3rd Feb 2017, 06:57 PM
Hi all,
posted this on the woodwork forum, hedging my bets and posting here as well

Any one SA have a 3D printer and can print from a picture /illustration /drawing,
I have a small one off job I would like done

Michael G
3rd Feb 2017, 07:17 PM
Depends on what you want - I have software that can probably produce the necessary file (it's an educational version - it should but I've never tried it)
I know our local library (Burnside) has a 3D printer. Perhaps one near you does too?

Michael

China
3rd Feb 2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks Michael, never would have thought of the library, I will try my local, if not I may try Burnside if you want to play with your software let me know happy to reimburse for your time

China
10th Feb 2017, 06:42 PM
Thanks project has been sorted

jhovel
11th Feb 2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks project has been sorted

Hey, that's not fair!
Nobody can learn anything from that.... :(
Please tell us how you 'sorted' it. Did you 3D print it? ADid you learn anything new?
THere are a few of us here who read threads to learn new stuff!

China
27th Feb 2017, 02:10 AM
Ok as it turns out the project is not sorted and turned out to be a waste of time and money the fellow I was reffered to is not at fault he is great to deal with
it just turns out that what I want can't be done by 3D printing, I do have a excellent little souvenir to remind me
Turns out what I require is someone who can produce small detailed 3D routing/engraving from a black and white image.

MasterSpoon
27th Feb 2017, 01:53 PM
Not sure exactly what you are chasing but I have seen a while ago (can't remember where) someone had a desktop CNC mill, was using a 4th axis and support tailstock and was engraving pictures into some PVC pipe, like regular old plumbing stuff and then was using it like a cover for a candle / light. Didn't look anything special when the light / candle was off but when the light turned on you could see the picture in really nice detail.

Google saved me
Vectric Forum • View topic - lithophanes in PVC (http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13326)

China
27th Feb 2017, 02:59 PM
The material is pretty irrelevant (not timber) just has to be able to produce fine detail, the finished it is basicaly a plaque only very small 50mm high

Sterob
28th Feb 2017, 10:19 PM
Have to you got an example of what you want? I am having trouble visualising it.
It sounds like a relief engraving?

A pic may encourage an offer, if someone knows they can do it.
Steve