PDA

View Full Version : canon display

eskimo
23rd Dec 2016, 09:54 AM
we had a canon display at the club and this is frame from a video clip...as is the case with selecting a single frame the quality is not all that good, but it gives an idea of what it was like....bloody noisy...and very spectactular!!!

cannon barrel is about 700mm long and bore is 33mm

is it any wonder we have a shortage of blackpowder in Adelaide...this thing uses 640grains of bp and had 1lb lead ball in it

Hornetb
23rd Dec 2016, 10:26 AM
Love it.

Always amazes me just how much escapes from the flash hole.

Impressive stuff. Thanks.

Looking forward to getting a few smithing projects done over the Christmas/New Year break. Just too many projects.

NedsHead
23rd Dec 2016, 11:09 AM
is it any wonder we have a shortage of blackpowder in Adelaide... That's why I started making my own, now I never run dry

chambezio
24th Dec 2016, 08:33 AM
A mate of mine was a very keen collector of rifles and pistols. During one of his buying "sprees" he came across a small cannon, similar to the picture. He proudly displayed it with the rest of his horde. He was busting to let it off and waited till New Years eve. At the stroke of midnight he lit it up. It did what it was designed to do but he was very nervous for some hours after expecting the police and emergency personnel to swoop down to his house to take him to gaol. They didn't come so he was relieved but he didn't light it up again

Grahame Collins
24th Dec 2016, 12:56 PM
Yes the cannon displays seem to attract the crowds.

A load 650s grain sounds a lot but its only just under a tenth of a pound. In any case the powder used is a different grain/ grade to that used in muzzle loading rifles, muskets and pistols.

Cannon events seem to crop up with increasing regularity and with some well turned out crews and cannons the competition is hot.

Not too back I attended a rendezvous event where we shot a deceased muzzleloading colleague's ashes downrange and had a minutes silence as a mark of respect and affection for him.

Keep your powder dry, Pilgrims

wm460
7th Jan 2017, 02:36 PM
Eskimo, how often do they have the cannon shoot, I would to see one.:2tsup:

eskimo
9th Jan 2017, 12:41 PM

no set schedule...spur of the moment stuff

Grahame Collins
9th Jan 2017, 08:46 PM

It depends on a few variables.
Some of the black powder blokes include a cannon shoot in with the Rendezvous shoots,particular the big ones.

Probably the best way is to contact the SSAA and ask for a black powder shooter contact in your state who may have some knowledge of if, when and where.

Grahame