PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Polishing Mop Spindle.

LexD
23rd Nov 2016, 07:15 PM
I have been working on this spindle on and off over the last week or so, it has a left hand thread on the inside and outside to suit the left side of my pedestal grinder. I already had one for the right side, as shown in the photo.

]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axlNv-HfKNY&feature=youtu.be

MasterSpoon
23rd Nov 2016, 11:56 PM
This video is private.

LexD
24th Nov 2016, 10:41 AM
I reset the video, hopefully it is viewable now.

sossity
24th Nov 2016, 11:20 AM
I made one of those by hand, just manually dialing back the cross slide with the halfnuts engaged as normal. How are you actually supposed to make on if you don't have cnc? Mine was OK, because all its for is screwing into a cloth mop, but obviously it was not precision.

Ueee
24th Nov 2016, 02:36 PM
I made one of those by hand, just manually dialing back the cross slide with the halfnuts engaged as normal. How are you actually supposed to make on if you don't have cnc? Mine was OK, because all its for is screwing into a cloth mop, but obviously it was not precision.

You can thread a taper with a taper turning attachment, the only thing limiting making a tapered spindle like that may be the angle, the TTA on my C10 goes up to 10 deg.

LexD
24th Nov 2016, 05:54 PM
I could have done it on the Colchester using the TTA which also goes to 10 degrees ( 20 degree included) but I wanted to check the ability of the Hercus to cut tapered threads, which was a good learning exercise, especially considering the left hand thread.

Michael G
24th Nov 2016, 06:28 PM
When I made one the other day it was only around 5 degrees per side.

Michael

franco
25th Nov 2016, 02:40 AM
How are you actually supposed to make on if you don't have cnc?
You can also do it between centres by offsetting the tailstock, or to avoid doing this use a tailstock centre in a boring head to give the required offset. Ball centres are desirable if there is much offset needed. The ball centres in the photo are made from tappet adjusting screws from a 1927 Chevrolet and work well. I have also attached an old John Stevenson photo which gives a better overall view of the setup.

Frank

sossity
25th Nov 2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks, I was struggling to see how the dog drive to an offset arrangement would work at such an angle, but I think it makes sense from that first photo. I like the look of the cnc version better :U