PDA

View Full Version : If you go to the junk yard..

sossity
21st Nov 2016, 05:46 PM
... you'll probably come back with more junk than you take there.
Actually, I got some useful aluminium and stainless steel.

If my wife sees an mangy stray dog, she'll say "Aw look at the wee doggy can we take it home". "No".
But I'm as bad with old junk. I have absolutely no need for this because I have a perfectly good 6 x 4 bandsaw. It must weigh about 100kg too, so it wasn't that cheap as scrap even.

I got a roll of "magnetic" wire which was good timing because I am swapping the motor on my will to delta. Already done now.

And speaking of magnets, I got this big magnet.
That's a two dollar coin on top of it. Its a particular big rubber mallet which probably skews your sense of scale.
The scrapyard gets a lot of hospital stuff, he had more of those lead containers for radio isotope stuff I noticed. I think this must be out of a large magnetron in some piece of medical equipment. I can't slide the two halves at all, no matter how hard I shove. Enter the rubber mallet, I was able to batter it across a bit, but it wasn't easy. Actually, I looked up unfeasibly large magnets and it says you should plan your route into a room, to avoid all sorts of electronics and magnetic tape etc. There are safe levels of magnetic field and I'm sure this will be over the limit, especially between the two poles. With strong magnetic fields, its very controversial how dangerous it is to you, but they know strong magnets can interfere with your heart and make you see flashes of light as it induces currents in you.
I have no idea what to do with it! it would definitely crush your fingers if you put them between the two. I think I read some permanent magnets can exert 800lbs between two. I have no idea how much force it takes to separate these but I can't slide them, so it must be at least 100kgs I reckon

KBs PensNmore
21st Nov 2016, 09:37 PM
Nice find on all that. One good use for the magnets, is to run the wife's Credit Cards over them.:D
Kryn

sossity
22nd Nov 2016, 04:50 AM
Nice find on all that. One good use for the magnets, is to run the wife's Credit Cards over them.:D
Kryn

Ha, ha, ha, perfect idea!
All I could think was to take my new tool of anarchy down collins street and wipe out the days shopping for all who pass by, but its definitely better to use my new powers for good as you suggest.

12bolts
24th Nov 2016, 07:32 AM
....The scrapyard gets a lot of hospital stuff,....Well I just hope that saw fits in an autoclave

Cheers Phil

sossity
24th Nov 2016, 09:09 AM
:U I never thought of that, you mean it was used to remove limbs and the like! It's a good idea, hands free sawing.