PDA

View Full Version : Tubal Cains Vertical Steam Engine

bwal74
10th Nov 2016, 09:55 PM
Hi,

Its been a while since I've posted anything but I haven't been totally inactive. I made a Vertical Steam engine of Tubal Cains (aka mrpete222 from Youtube) design.

For such a simple engine and design it took me two attempts over 12 months to complete. I started my first attempt at home on my machines but then we moved house and I work away form home 5 days a week. On the second attempt I did most of the work at work.

I used my own reamers which I bought from C Tools (second hand). I picked up a 75 mm diam Mamod steam tractor wheel off ebay for the flywheel. I also bought a heap of Metric cap head screws and grub screws from ebay.

I'm running it off a small model makers 240v air compressor, but it doesn't have a regulator and seems to be running a bit fast. I need to hold the base or it vibrates all over the place.

Overall it was a good learning experience. I'm making another one just because I can, so I want to do it better. I will make my own flywheel. It does run ok though, it ran first go (just like Tubal Cain said) but does need some tweaking. My youngest was really impressed though, he has already claimed it.

I'm going to make a wobbler over the holidays using my own machines.

Hope you like the pictures. I did take a video but the quality is hopeless.

Ben.

ps the first two photo's are off the finished project.

bwal74
3rd Feb 2017, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I made another Vert engine, this time with a steel flywheel. Runs much smoother. Going to start the wobbler soon. A bloke named Toly produces the drawings if anyone wants them.

cheers.

grunto
11th Feb 2017, 04:32 PM
Can you pass on the contact details for Toly. Is he is a memebr of this forum?

Thanks,

Grant

Oldneweng
12th Feb 2017, 06:23 PM
Toly's details are given on Tubalcains videos about making things, that Toly provides drawings for. Just look at any of these videos. The address is probably in the comments under the video.

Dean

bwal74
12th Feb 2017, 06:41 PM
Hi,

This is Toly's email address: [email protected]

His plans for the Vert Engine are good and I was able to download them and print them out easily. The ones he just sent me I can't save or print out. I'll look around on my computer for the original ones and upload them here.

Ben.