PDA

View Full Version : Old School Sound Deadning

Goggomobile
29th Oct 2016, 01:39 PM
Hi all
The resto is going well. While waiting for parts for the engine/box I'm chasing a few things which has stumped me.

refer photo. i think it is some sort of old fashioned sound deadner. Corrugated type carboard on the outside and compressed fibre in middle soaked in some sort of Bitumos stuff. This insulates between engine bay, fuel tank, and arches. I want a something similar to the original so I've rules out foam or a modern sound deadner sponge.

Does anyone know what it's called and even more where can I get it ?

cava
29th Oct 2016, 03:05 PM
Does it have asbestos in it, which a lot of products from the 50-60's did?

If it does, the chance of getting the same is marginal.

Jekyll and Hyde
29th Oct 2016, 03:12 PM
Is that definitely cardboard on the outside? The first photo looks as though its more of a woven material (perhaps a fibreglass or even asbestos based material), and having a look at it in the car, it appears it could be as much a heat shielding matting than purely sound deadening.

No idea where you might find it, but perhaps expanding the search to include heat shielding materials may help.

You can certainly get a woven fibreglass (?) matt as purely heat shielding, which does have a reflective silver backing on one side, but if you put that side facing the floor, it might look reasonably close (apart from the corrugations). Maybe if you glued it to some modern sound mat, you could create corrugations in it though, as it's pretty flexible? Picture of the stuff I'm talking about below (hopefully).

jhovel
29th Oct 2016, 04:35 PM
I agree with the above comments. That woven corrugated material is almost certainly asbestos. I'm not judging that by the photos, but from my memory of working on a Goggomobil in Germany with a relative, years ago. The lining in his (then a current model!) was also falling apart from the vibrations and heat. The stuff wasn't any good from new :) He wired it up on I think self-tapping screws all over the place to stop parts of the lining from falling out of the car.
I really think you should try for the 'look' rather than the substance, using ASBESTOS FREE modern materials. You may even be able to use the fibregalss matting suggested and vacuum form it on a corrugated mold with some refractory rigidizer. That ,ight give you the 'look' and maintain its shape - as well as funtioning as a heat shield. On the back you could then glue some thin sound deadening mat. Maybe you need to make shaped moulds for the curved panels, so they look 'factory'.
What are other (including European) restorers do? Maybe someone in Europe has already firgured it out and had the stuff made from better materials you could buy?

Goggomobile
29th Oct 2016, 09:55 PM
Guys
Will check it out. Won't take any risks. You are right it appears to have disintergrated and fallen apart. I did some checks and will bag and wet down the materials. Dangerous stuff. I have a mate who does testing. I will get it checked out.

I had a quick Google and there is quite a few products around which are safe and asbestos free. I'll get some samples and post some more information.

Randal

China
30th Oct 2016, 12:12 AM
https://www.jaycar.com.au/mat-sound-barrier-adhes-330x330mm-pk2/p/AX3684