PDA

View Full Version : Old Bench Drill Running in Reverse

gazza2009au
25th Sep 2016, 08:29 PM
Hi Guys

i picked up a rather old bench drill today from Gumtree it seemed to run good at the sellers house but i just hooked it up to use it and noticed its running in reverse and there is no direction switch

am i able to reverse the polarity after the ON/OFF switch and before the motor? if i am able to will this have any effect on the capacitor?

i don't want to burn anything out nor do i want to invest in a whole range of reverse drill bits

Michael G
25th Sep 2016, 09:40 PM
Is it single phase or 3 phase?
if 3 phase, all you have to do is swap 2 of the three wires over.
If single phase it will depend on the motor.

Michael

gazza2009au
25th Sep 2016, 10:41 PM
It's single phase, after watching a video on youtube i cut one of the capacitor wires and just hand turned the drill to start it that should work for now

a drill press is a heck of a lot easier to drill out a broken bolt than holding a hand drill

pipeclay
25th Sep 2016, 11:03 PM
Depends where or what the bolts in.

gazza2009au
25th Sep 2016, 11:52 PM
Depends where or what the bolts in.
This is what i'm trying to do pipeclay, i need to drill out those two rounded JIS screws and the tiny 2-2.5mm snapped screw

This is a jetski carburetor i was overhauling untill i stripped the screws, basically the jetski was sunk and no care was given after it was resurfaced so the salt water sat inside the carburetor chambers untill it eventually evaporated

I was given advice to drill the screw heads off i have done so but the inner piece that is screwed down is still stuck so tomorrow i will attempt to drill out the remaining bolts and possibly helicoil it if there is enough meat at the base i will have to check on the second carburetor

gazza2009au
25th Sep 2016, 11:54 PM
Forgot the pic

eskimo
29th Sep 2016, 10:02 PM
Sounds like the start capacitor is cactus and or start windings