PDA

View Full Version : Inexperienced and over their head from Vacy

Tomthesparky
7th Sep 2016, 05:28 PM
G'day,

here to consume the wealth of knowledge available from others more experienced than I. My background is in the electrical industry, however i still have expensive hobbies in cars and motorcycles, which is leading me down the path of expensive hobbies in machinery.
Have just purchased a second lathe, an old purcell record 8" swing. may have rushed in a little as it is missing the Gap (any pattern making and foundry advice welcome), two of the the feed gears are damaged as well once again cast iron. The compound cross slide screw is severely worn as is the nut(no worries can turn one on the existing lathe). Good news is the ways are largely unworn or damaged and the lead screw is in good condition. wish me luck on the project

Tom

morrisman
7th Sep 2016, 07:09 PM
Hi Tom

Good luck finding the missing gap. Your best bet is to find a discarded unwanted Record and scrounge parts from it . Making a pattern and casting is huge $$$$$

I have a geared head New Visby 8 , it appears to be identical to the RECORD model , it has the huge 2.25" bore in the spindle . I bought it on a whim ! The bed is in nice shape . The huge bronze spindle bearings need adjusting , it binds . The headstock inside has pipes running everywhere supplying oil to various points . Very slow of course . It was used in a plastics factory - closed down.

BTW what size motor is on yours ? This one had a old 3HP thing .

Despite the crude, looking rough finish, these are nice practical machines

Tomthesparky
7th Sep 2016, 07:34 PM
That is the current machine I have, came with a 3hp 6pole motor, unfortunately I cannot get 3 phase at home so I run a 3hp 4pole single phase motor on it. Runs the extra speed without a problem. It is the reason I bought this one as they seem well built and solid, unfortunately my visby has had a lifetime of abuse resulting in a fairly worn bed and a bent spindle. The bearings have been adjusted to 2thou of play and I run straight 30w oil and do not bind at any speed or generate excess heat if that helps

Michael G
7th Sep 2016, 07:38 PM
Making a pattern and casting is huge $$$$$

Not always. It depends on size and how much pattern making/ machining you can do yourself.

Michael

Tomthesparky
7th Sep 2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the ray of hope, I was thinking if I could make the patterns and mould myself the casting would not be to dear. Forgot to mention that I have an uncle that is an experienced retired machinist with a variety of machinery at his disposal

morrisman
7th Sep 2016, 09:51 PM
Somebody up your way was looking for Record 8 lathe parts

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiw-M2Ih_3OAhUBOJQKHQ5oACc4ChAWCC8wAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gumtree.com.au%2Fs-ad%2Fhexham%2Fmiscellaneous-goods%2Fwanted-purcell-lathe-chucks-3-4-jaws-for-8-record-lathe%2F1110840602&usg=AFQjCNFNMg28L8Y1EWbbwNml5kDFhTJyUA&bvm=bv.131783435,d.dGo

old1955
8th Sep 2016, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the forum Tom.

Tomthesparky
8th Sep 2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I am considering sandblasting the lathe prior to re-painting since the machine is stripped down completely now, apart from steering well clear of any machined or ground surfaces is there any pitfalls to this approach? Will get pictures up of the beasts once i return home from work

Michael G
8th Sep 2016, 03:36 PM
The only one may be that you will expose bog where you thought you had casting. Nothing too dramatic but have some on hand (standard automotive stuff is fine) in case.
Before presenting the casting to the blasters use some blast tape and plywood covers to prevent blasting of those delicate surfaces - blasting is not precise enough to just avoid these places.

Michael