PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this horizontal mill?

lgftsa
5th Sep 2016, 11:00 AM
I bought this mill in Cairns on the weekend, the history is that it sat in a shed for the last 25 years after the owner passed away, and he had bought it from a mining company which closed down an indeterminate time before that.

There's no slop in the V-ways, or backlash in the screws. The overarm has rusted on top over the years, but that will be replaced. The motor and shafts run very well, it has been greased before being put up for sale.

Other than some of the pulleys, there's no maker's makings at all on the machine. There's also no evidence of a nameplate having been removed. The casting quality is very average, with some freezing and rough edges along with a fairly rough surface.

Can anyone identify it? I've been through google images and lathes.co.uk and there's nothing that is close enough to be even a derivative.

Regards, glen.

shaper07
5th Sep 2016, 04:03 PM
hi
looks like it could be an old denbign converted to v pulleys
steve

lgftsa
5th Sep 2016, 08:03 PM
I think you're right. The back gear supports are there, but there's no bushes and they've been used to support a coolant line. All the Denbigh pictures I can find have the name cast in prominently, so this one might be a knock-off or built under license. The motor mount, pulley drive and slide tensioner are all cast, and appear to be of the same age and manufacture as the rest of the machine.

Here's a slightly larger machine which is an extremely close match: Denbigh universal miller pre-1956 (http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/denbigh-universal-miller-pre-1956.26607/)

Cheers, glen.