PDA

View Full Version : Replacement lathe motor

GeoffW1
2nd Sep 2016, 11:23 PM
Hi,

At our Men's Shed we have a Yangzhou lathe with a 1.5 kW single phase 4 pole motor which has died. It has a 100L frame which is odd in that rating, most 1.5 kW motors are 90L, a bit smaller. We are restricted to a 10A supply for it, so 1.5 kW is about the maximum.

We think a 1.5 kW replacement motor in a 90L frame with a shaft sleeve and a 10 mm adapter plate for the foot mounting might be the way to go. Has anyone here conquered a problem like this?

Cheers

Geoff

BobL
3rd Sep 2016, 11:41 PM
if there is enough room its pretty easy to make an adapter plate to match the two frames.
I di this on my compressor just by using two lengths of 50 mm SHS with the holes for each offset to match on either side.
On a drill press at the mens shed I used an 8mm thick steel plate with weld 10 mm threaded studs on each side, one set of studs went onto the DP frame and the other for the motor.

Michael G
4th Sep 2016, 09:34 AM
I did once...
Jacking the motor up is not a real issue. Adapting the shaft to get the existing pulley to match and run true is more difficult, especially if your current motor was custom and had a shaft longer than standard and the replacement is standard off the shelf. When going down in size the length is often reduced too. I'd be tempted to (permanently) sleeve/ bush the pulley myself if going that way.
In Adelaide we have a company called Royce Cross who claim to have the best electrical motor service in Australia (1300 553 229 - deliver nationally) if you have not contacted them already it may be worth asking if a change over motor can be found.

Michael

Leighg
6th Sep 2016, 12:06 AM
Hi Geoff, if you are anywhere near The Shire, Suann Electrical are electric motor experts (he must have 500 sitting on the shelves there), they are in Taren Point, Cawarra Rd I think

GeoffW1
6th Sep 2016, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone,

I am contacting these companies.

Cheers