PDA

View Full Version : Couriers instead of Aust post

Mike4
23rd Aug 2016, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know if a purchaser can specify a courier company instead of Australia Post when items are purchased online.
Michael

MasterSpoon
23rd Aug 2016, 11:51 AM
I think it all depends on who the seller is, I don't think as a customer you can dictate to the company who you want to use.

If the seller doesn't want to use whatever courier company you want they can just refuse to sell to you. In saying that most companies are fairly happy to work with you and a lot of couriers will do a pick up service, so if its a shop front you place the order, book the courier, courier turns up and picks up your package.

Oldneweng
23rd Aug 2016, 11:58 AM
My understanding is that it is up to the seller to decide. I have requested AusPost from suppliers and been told "we only use couriers". They often only use a specific courier. They may have a contract with one, or just like to stick with what they know. I have been told often "our "courier" delivers anywhere in Australia". Makes me wonder where I live. :rolleyes:

You may be able to arrange for your own courier to pick up the item from them tho. This will involve more arranging on your behalf, but given the issues you have been having that should not be a problem to you. There may be places that don't provide pickup locations. A lot of EBay sellers don't. All you can do is ask.

Dean

Mike4
16th Sep 2016, 11:20 AM
I am currently waiting for dear ole Aust Post to deliver a tool which was purchased in Preston Victoria to get to Emerald Q so far its seven days ,
as I was just told that it may be here Monday.

I have used road transport companies who have delivered in less time from Melbourne and legally .

Items picked up Monday afternoon , here in four days , I unloaded on a Sunday morning , driver was very pleased to find that he did not have to wait until Monday morning to get away to his next pickup.

All it takes is a bit of co-operation .

Michael

.RC.
17th Sep 2016, 01:39 PM
I would be saying eight-ten days for au post from Melbourne to Emerald.

I just had a parcel of hydraulic hoses and fittings gold coast to here. Posted Friday, arrived following Thursday. A bit of a wait, but 50% of the cost the local hydraulic rip off merchants charge for a hose.

Mike4
20th Sep 2016, 09:42 AM
They keep quoting "business days of Monday to Friday", smacks of a we dont want to work policy to me .

I dont mind working seven days a week if it means getting the job done and making customers happy .

I do not think that it is much to expect to have a time frame for deliveries within Australia, even if it means paying a bit more .

We have to work to a fixed time for a repair for most customers , I wouldnt make any money out of the job if I had Aust Post's attitude of " it will get there one day ."

And its a pity that they cant be pursued for loss of business due to their methods.

Michael

.RC.
20th Sep 2016, 10:20 AM
I suppose the flip side is the price. Couriers will often charge $50 where AU post will charge $15.

Mike4
21st Sep 2016, 01:27 PM
Some times the extra freight cost is worth it for peace of mind and the possibility of getting material or tools delivered in a reasonable time frame .

I am trying to complete the trailer repairs and possibly would be almost done if the puller had arrived last weekend instead of yesterday . that will add another week to the job , something that I have to just grin and wear .

Michael

ImJay
18th Oct 2016, 10:14 PM
One of the reasons I'm glad I don't live in Emerald anymore, especially since there's more range of delivery options here too. :D

- Jay.

Mike4
9th Jan 2017, 10:09 AM
Australia Post love to quote "International Postal Union rules"

Are we not capable of writing our own legislation and saying to outside interests , we look after our own affairs .

We seem to have a lot of UN imposed rules/legislation placed on us by the incompetant governments that unfortunately con only ne distinguished by the brand of suit that they wear .

Over four days from Maroochydoor to Emerald , ,thats a joke, it only takes 9 hours to drive to Brisbane and then drive back next day and thats legally done as well.

Our nation seems to be sliding backwards , mainly due to the abundance of slack incapable seat warmers in positions of power.
Michael

bwal74
26th Jan 2017, 09:44 AM
I suppose the flip side is the price. Couriers will often charge $50 where AU post will charge $15.

I bought a casting kit from Stuart on the Monday and it was at my house by the Thursday. Four days from England to Central Coast NSW for $25 AUD. Aussie Post can't even do a letter quicker than that. Probably why they are going broke.

Ben

Grahame Collins
29th Jan 2017, 09:59 PM
Theres an electrical lighting and ceiling fan business I favour from Brisbane.

Ordered before 10 AM Monday morning in Brisbane the courier delivered the item at 1.45PM the next day to Mackay ,Nth Queensland.

By comparison Australia Post managed to send a perfectly addressed and very legible Xmas card (from my g/daughter in Newcastle ) to
Malaysia.

It came back in late January with a ink pad stamp on it " mis sent to Malaysia".

Jekyll and Hyde
30th Jan 2017, 06:26 PM
By comparison Australia Post managed to send a perfectly addressed and very legible Xmas card (from my g/daughter in Newcastle ) to
Malaysia.

It came back in late January with a ink pad stamp on it " mis sent to Malaysia".

How the.....

Tasmania? WA? Those I would expect, but Malaysia? Even for Australia Post that still surprises me...

Oldneweng
31st Jan 2017, 09:23 AM
How the.....

Tasmania? WA? Those I would expect, but Malaysia? Even for Australia Post that still surprises me...

Probably a machine failed to seperate it from an item going to Malaysia and it went along for the ride.

Dean

Chris Parks
5th Feb 2017, 12:17 AM
We had a courier who could not get a parcel from Sydney to Wollongong recently. Every company, courier or postal service has their problems, I had Toll return a shipment from Brisbane back to me because their self sticking adhesive address labels had come off the package and then had the hide to try and charge me something like a $1000 for the privilege! We had words and they decided it was not my fault as they wanted to keep the account.

bob ward
11th Feb 2017, 09:58 AM
I've just sent a 10kg parcel from Laidley 4341 to Canberra. Customer organised & paid Sendle/Fastway to pick up from me, price I believe was $18, a 5kg OzPost satchel costs almost that much. Customer says Sendle is very competitive between well populated areas but not so much in the bush, not too many surprises there. YMMV.

chambezio
11th Feb 2017, 10:26 AM
During the week to waste a bit of time I went on to Ebay and looked at what was offering in the way of Electric Generators. I chose a Diesel powered one which seemed to be of Chinese origin and supplied by a number of different Australian suppliers. While the price differs only about $20 the price of delivery was one BIG surprise. The machine is around $1200 mark while the freight went from "free" to $450!!!. The "free" price was offered by a crowd in WA, but they added what ever the freight cost into the "buy now" price. A Sydney based crowd wanted the $450 for freight to Tamworth.
Subsequently I decided to look around locally to see what is offered.
On one time I bought from Ebay 4 lengths of down grade Uni Strut 6 mts long. They arrived after I spent $60 freight from Sydney. The transport crowd went from Sydney to Tamworth then over to Coffs Harbour, then of course returned to Sydney. It seemed to be a "round the world for sixpence" drive.

Chris Parks
11th Feb 2017, 01:11 PM
I've just sent a 10kg parcel from Laidley 4341 to Canberra. Customer organised & paid Sendle/Fastway to pick up from me, price I believe was $18, a 5kg OzPost satchel costs almost that much. Customer says Sendle is very competitive between well populated areas but not so much in the bush, not too many surprises there. YMMV.

Every afternoon an Australia Post truck is backed into Fastway at Wollongong to pick up a lot of what they have received that day and it is delivered within the AP parcel system. I used to drive that truck.

YBAF
11th Feb 2017, 01:49 PM
Trouble I find with couriers is that somebody gotta be at the address to receive.
I use Oz post all the time when-ever the item is small/light enough for them. I've got a P.O. Box so they hold the bigger items out back for a time. Recently got a Bison chuck ex USA that apparently went over weight though the Oz post lass just said to make sure the sender checks the weight next time. I forgot to ask what that weight were though I normally just let the sender work out how best to deliver.

.RC.
11th Feb 2017, 02:27 PM
USPS flat rate box international weight limits is 20lb. (USPS domestic weight limit is 40lb)

AU post weight limits is 20kg.

Years ago I had a US seller send me a flat rate box with nearly 20kg in it once. Came through no problems :D

I know lots of people like to complain about AU post, but they are the only true national delivery company in Australia. No courier in the country other then AU post will deliver goods to my door (or mail box actually)

Mike4
12th Feb 2017, 08:47 PM
I recently had to order some very critical parts , the only place that had them in stock was in Perth WA.
Order placed 2-30 pm Friday , I had a phone call from the TNT driver before 12-30 Sunday .

That is what I call service , site was back up and running by 4-00pm .

Michael

SurfinNev
12th Feb 2017, 09:04 PM
Anything I have ever gotten from WA always arrives much quicker than from NSW or Victoria for some reason.

Com_VC
20th Feb 2017, 12:01 PM
Does anyone happen to know where the local courier sorting centre is in Australia? It seems a lot of my parcels have been getting stuck here recently and I am not getting them. These are the things I order from China or Hong Kong. Never had any issues before, but I have had about 5 items like this so far this year. Still have not received. Just wondering who I would contact about this, Auspost is telling me it has nothing to do with them. The sellers have been pretty good with it and will refund my money, but I wan't the items and when they arrive I will be paying the seller back as I don't think it is there fault.

Item being handed over to the local courier, tracking ended, estimated delivery : 7-15 days.
Jan-06-17, 07:15 AM, Local courier sorting centre,AUSTRALIA
Flight landed to destination.
Jan-06-17, 05:15 AM, Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport, AUSTRALIA
Flight dispatched;destination: AUSTRALIA; Flight #:QF128
Jan-02-17, 20:15 PM, Chek Lap Kok International Airport, Hong Kong

chambezio
21st Feb 2017, 04:15 PM
I have an identical problem at the moment. The Tracker said the article loaded in China-Arrived Kingford Smith-then to distribution.......all this happened within 5 days of placing the order. At the end of "Expected Delivery Date", which was 4 weeks on, I asked a couple of questions, the seller asked to give it more time, I did (a week), then asked again, he gave me a refund. I would have liked the article. He also asked to re-emberse him if the thing arrived. OK we are only talking $6 which is really nothing BUT....where do these articles end up???

Has Australia Post found its just too hard to process these parcels and bins them? Where do we go from here?

.RC.
21st Feb 2017, 05:52 PM
I have an identical problem at the moment. The Tracker said the article loaded in China-Arrived Kingford Smith-then to distribution.......all this happened within 5 days of placing the order. At the end of "Expected Delivery Date", which was 4 weeks on, I asked a couple of questions, the seller asked to give it more time, I did (a week), then asked again, he gave me a refund. I would have liked the article. He also asked to re-emberse him if the thing arrived. OK we are only talking $6 which is really nothing BUT....where do these articles end up???

Has Australia Post found its just too hard to process these parcels and bins them? Where do we go from here?

The parcels could be stolen or maybe someone ran over them and destroyed them. Maybe it is being used to prop up a broken table in the crib room.

I am currently waiting on a parcel from UPS. It came from Europe via the US in about four days. Arrived in Sydney yesterday and their expected delivery date is next Monday. How do they work that out? Not even AU post is that slow.

Com_VC
22nd Feb 2017, 03:18 PM
No Basically there is no contact number or anything and I have no hope in receiving what I ordered? Someone needs to be responsible.

aldav
1st Mar 2017, 05:34 PM
The parcels could be stolen or maybe someone ran over them and destroyed them. Maybe it is being used to prop up a broken table in the crib room.

I am currently waiting on a parcel from UPS. It came from Europe via the US in about four days. Arrived in Sydney yesterday and their expected delivery date is next Monday. How do they work that out? Not even AU post is that slow.

The courier company is unable to control customs clearance so they build in a margin for hold-ups in Customs. As for Auspost not being 'that slow', sometimes they are!

12bolts
1st Mar 2017, 10:54 PM
As for Auspost not being 'that slow', sometimes they are!
Yep, waiting on a delivery as we speak. Posted sydney 8 days ago now. Delivery NQ. Tracking says "in transit" FFS its only 2 days by myself

soundman
12th Mar 2017, 11:28 AM
Ladies and gentelmen, there is one thing you all must understand ....... all the freight companies are deliberately reducing service levels.

I have one friend who is just furious about this.

Standard Australia post letters and small parcels in general used to take 1 or 2 days pretty much to most places in the country ...... a very large portion of the volume used to arrive next day.
Same thing with most of the small freight carried by most of the usual suspects ..... 2 to 3 days quoted, most of it arriving overnight.

Well the freight companies have decided ( individually or as a conspiracy) that this is not good people are getting next day delivery and not paying for it ...... so it does not matter which freight company you use ..... if you want it fast, they have made sure you pay for it ...... otherwise they will take their own sweet time to get it to you. .... This is in major centres ..... small towns well they don't give a about you because there is insufficient business volume to make money.

NOW ... another problem with this ...... because they are not transfering all freight as directly and immediately as possible stuff gets mis-handled.

It's not just the freight companies .... the dispatchers have an oar in this too ...... all of the large dispatchers and freight companies are cutting staff and employing labour hire staff that are not permanent in the facility ...... so there are issues that arise because of that.

Yeh they are cutting call centre staff ...... they simply do not want to talk to you .... so many con notes and address labels that once carried prominent contact numbers do not ...... if you do actually find a contact number .... regardless of the time of day you WILL be on hold long enough to hear recorded messages telling you that there is an on line facility that is soo much better ..... they hope you will go away.

It's not good ... but what do you do.

cheers

Mike4
14th Mar 2017, 09:41 AM
Got a text from Aust Post early today to tell me that a parcel which left Victoria over a week ago will be here tomorrow.

What is that supposed to do , these people do not get the idea of tracking of items at all.

Why should I have to set up an account and login to find out where a parcel is , and the crap about the parcel being the property of the sender is a load of bulldust as 99% of sellers will not dispatch an item until payment is cleared into their account , so legal title has passed to the purchaser.

The continual ducking and diving by this antique "service " is why i prefer to pay extra and have a courier deliver my parts/

Michael

Sir Stinkalot
14th Mar 2017, 10:23 PM
Does anyone happen to know where the local courier sorting centre is in Australia? It seems a lot of my parcels have been getting stuck here recently and I am not getting them. These are the things I order from China or Hong Kong. Never had any issues before, but I have had about 5 items like this so far this year.

I placed an order on Ebay with a seller in Hong Kong on 18th December 2016, tracking showed it arriving in Sydney and being transferred to a local courier sorting facility 27th December 2016 with an expected delivery time of 7-15 day to Adelaide. Item never showed up. After waiting considerable time I contacted the seller who was kind enough to send another, dispatched 6th February 2017, lands in Sydney 15th February 2017 - again with an expected delivery time of 7-15 days to Adelaide.

Well today a small parcel was left on top of the letter box for everybody in the street to see. Interestingly enough it was actually two identical parcels joined together with a rubber band. To my surprise it is actually the first and second parcel both arriving together on the same day. After being in the system for over 86 days the first package must have been a little shy and needed another identical package to help it arrive safely. I checked the AP Article ID that was attached to the first package to try and figure out how it could arrive on the same day but it could't tell me anything. I had another package last week so it wasn't as if it was just kicking around in the van and they were going to drop it off with the next delivery I got. It would be interesting to hear the story about where it has been and why it managed to arrive on the same day as the replacement package.

I have contacted the seller to return the first package. The return address is not Hong Kong but Mahe, Seychelles. I had to Google maps the location Mahé is the largest island in the Seychelles archipelago, in the Indian Ocean off East Africa - a very small island a long way from Hong Kong.

Oldneweng
15th Mar 2017, 09:46 AM
I received a parcel from Hongkong recently which had been sent via Seychelles Post. I thought it a bit strange at the time.

Dean

Mike4
15th Mar 2017, 01:14 PM
The parcel arrived today , its just two empty 'Rod Guard " containers as I have some welding rods that I want to store for a while and I am trying to reduce the amount of moisture absorbed.

These are about 18" long and 3" in diameter and empty so only weigh about 1-2 kilo's.

How come it takes about 7 days from Melbourne Victoria to Emerald Qld , when I could drive there and back in around the same time legally.

Makes you wonder where this nanny state is leading to , I am hearing older employers say that its getting hard to find reliable people who are willing to work , and thats in a lot of industries .

Most find that work interferes with their social life or its "boring".

What is so wrong with getting the job done even if the work is dirty and a pain in the @r*e.

Michael