PDA

View Full Version : Slow Learner From Sydney

Simple_One
17th Aug 2016, 12:14 AM
G'day all,

I decided to jump on these forums as I've always had an interest in metal work, but I've never had a hint of an opportunity to pursue it as a hobby beyond getting an intro to welding via a TAFE course a number of years back. There is now some light at the end of the work/money/time tunnel, so I'm hoping that this scenario might change a little in the next year or so.

As I'm a bit of a slow learner, I decided to jump on here and do some reading/learning/osmosis in the next 6 to 12 months, before rushing out and buying the wrong stuff. Currently I have no workspace setup or metal working equipment beyond my air compressor, MIG welder and the usual hand tools.

From a metal working perspective, I'm most interested in making do-dads and better/lighter/stronger bits for things that are part of other interests, namely:
Cars, Buggies, 4WDs - anything with engines or motors basically
Motorcycles (road and dirt) - as above
Long range rifle competition.

As such, I guess I'm most interested in learning more about lathe's, milling machines, drill presses, TIG welders etc. I'm hoping to accumulate enough information to purchase reasonable quality individual/combination tools from within these categories, in order to pursue DIY/hobbyist grade projects in the above mentioned areas of interest.

Anyway, I'll do some reading and then post some questions if they come up, but in the meantime, thanks for having me here!

Cheers,

Chris

KBs PensNmore
17th Aug 2016, 10:26 AM
Welcome to a top Forum Chris, sounds like you're doing the right thing in reading up on what's required, and what to look out for:2tsup:.
Where abouts in Sydney are you, as there are a lot of members there that could help you, if needed, with guidance, that would be only to willing to help a newbie on this fantastic journey.
Regards
Kryn

BobL
17th Aug 2016, 10:50 AM
. . . I'm most interested in making do-dads and better/lighter/stronger bits for things that are part of other interests . . . . .

That's a good step on the true metal working road of . . . . making do-dads and better/lighter/stronger bits for things that are part of other do-dads and better/lighter/stronger bits . . . . :)

Simple_One
17th Aug 2016, 08:48 PM
That's a good step on the true metal working road of . . . . making do-dads and better/lighter/stronger bits for things that are part of other do-dads and better/lighter/stronger bits . . . . :)

Is it the journey or the destination?
Who cares, as long as you enjoy it! :)

Simple_One
17th Aug 2016, 08:58 PM
Welcome to a top Forum Chris, sounds like you're doing the right thing in reading up on what's required, and what to look out for:2tsup:.
Where abouts in Sydney are you, as there are a lot of members there that could help you, if needed, with guidance, that would be only to willing to help a newbie on this fantastic journey.
Regards
Kryn

Hi Kryn,

Thanks for the welcome. Looking from the outside machining and metal can look as simple as 'just having a collection of the tools that do the stuff for you'....I know just enough, to know that it isn't that easy ;)

I'm based on the Northern Beaches currently. I was contemplating whether or not it would be worth doing one or two TAFE (or similar) courses to get an introduction to the basics of lathe and milling work...The aim being to have a enough background knowledge to at least ask sensible questions whilst hanging around like a bad smell!

I know there is no substitute for 'hands on' when it comes to developing metal working skills (the difference between welding in theory and welding in practice really brought that home to me), however I'm a fan of trying to do a bit of self pace learning prior to attending paid 'hands on' courses as I find I get much better bang for buck by doing so. Is there any good instructional videos or books that people can recommend for milling and lathe work in particular?

The sorts of things I would be seeking a basic understanding of are the different types of each machine, the types of operations that can be completed on each machine and how they are done (at a basic level), the role/function of each machine in relation to steps needed to complete a machining project, the types of tooling used on each machine (and how), etc.

Any input on that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

KBs PensNmore
17th Aug 2016, 10:10 PM
Hi Chris,
The books that I use and recommend, would be the Workshop Practice Series, LATHEWORK - A COMPLETE COURSE, 34, Measuring & Marking Metals, book no.6 MILLING - A COMPLETE COURSE, Book 35, GRINDING HONING AND POLISHING BOOK 41.

I found these books to be very helpful, as they teach you how to use the machine, as you make some of the functional tools and accessories to use with the machine.
Personally I'd start with book 41 Grinding and polishing, as you need to be able to grind the tool steel before you start. Reading this and practice grinding a piece of ordinary mild steel 12mm to be able to get the shape and angles required, freehand, once you've mastered this, then go to the next size down, then down to 6mm. You'll find that as you go to the smaller sizes, it will only take about half the time as the previous one. At a learning stage, I wouldn't contemplate using anything but HSS ( tool steel).
Beware that some of the tool steel from China, that is sold through some of the local suppliers is not good quality at all, it'll be OK for ally/brass but NOT mild steel.
The reason for this, is that on larger material you can see it a lot easier than the smaller stuff, plus the ordinary grey stone as supplied are OK for Mild Steel, saving the white stone for tool steel (HSS).
The book on grinding also shows how to make various holders and table for the grinder to be able to sharpen milling cutters, you WILL go back to this book several times to make the tools as you need them, and YOU will need them, unless you want to pay someone else to sharpen the milling cutters for you.
When you have your lathe then get Book 34, this is where you learn to use the machine, it will explain in simple terms what each and every lever does. You'll also be making some bits and pieces as well on the lathe, learning and doing.
You might also want to get book 6 on measuring, as this will be an important part also, explaining the use of micrometers and how to read them.
Later on you'll probably want a milling machine so book 35, will be the one.
These books are about $25 each on E Bay, look around as some are free postage as well as cheaper or more expensive. There are other books available once you become accustomed to working with metal, a drill and tapping book DRILLS TAPS & DIES, book 12, Simple Workshop Devices book 28 for more accessories to make.
Before you start grinding or anything make sure you get PPE (Personal Protection Equipment), metal shavings (swarf) will go everywhere, so protect yourself.Should you have any questions feel free to ask away, there is no such thing as a stupid question!!!!! To make it easier, go to the correct section of the forum,
probably metal work general, for asking questions.
I like your comment "Is it the journey or the destination? Who cares, as long as you enjoy it!":2tsup:
Regards
Kryn

BobL
17th Aug 2016, 10:24 PM
The sorts of things I would be seeking a basic understanding of are the different types of each machine, the types of operations that can be completed on each machine and how they are done (at a basic level), the role/function of each machine in relation to steps needed to complete a machining project, the types of tooling used on each machine (and how), etc.

The first couple of things on your list sounds like they would be best served by visiting some workshops and getting someone to show you around.

In a former life I had the opportunity to visit nearly every University Science faculty workshop in Australia. This enable me to see a lot of different bits of gear both old and young and talks to a lot of people with a wide range of experience. My only regret was I was not able to spend as much time as I wanted to while doing this

BobL
17th Aug 2016, 10:52 PM
If you want a more compact and high readable set of general workshop books I reckon the "Workshop Technology" series (3 volumes) is worth having.

There were 4 revised editions between 1946 and 1972 and these can be picked up quite cheaply
Workshop Technology by Chapman - AbeBooks (http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/workshop-technology/author/chapman/)

Even though the last revised edition (#4) are dated 1972, apart from say welding and numeric control, there's not that much basic new stuff developed since then

There also appears to be a 5th (2016) edition of just the first volume although I don't think the author i still alive.

Simple_One
19th Aug 2016, 12:26 AM
Both of these suggestions for books look great guys, much appreciated.

old1955
19th Aug 2016, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the forum.

morrisman
19th Aug 2016, 07:54 PM
The first couple of things on your list sounds like they would be best served by visiting some workshops and getting someone to show you around.

Depends on the type of workshop - commercial/business probably won't let anyone in to look around . You would have to catch them during a lunch break ! A stranger walking in off the street can arouse suspicion. Would you let a total stranger into your business workshop to look over your lathes ? It will help if you know a friend of a friend who works in a metal shop to introduce you . Mike

PS I have tried the asking for off cuts at a few engineering places . They usually are rather not inclined to give you anything - understandable . I have had the odd success though , but they give you that look " don't come back "

AndrewOC
19th Aug 2016, 09:00 PM
Hi Chris,
swing by Strathfield mens shed, when you have some spare time on a Wednesday or Saturday. We have a Hercus 260 running and small Boxford mill. The guys were setting up a TIG welder last week.
Bring a hat full of patience and flexible mindset, 'cos we are still trying to set up alot of old gear!
28 Pomeroy St, Homebush.

regs,
AndrewOC