PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Metal Folder?

Dylan SJ
2nd Aug 2005, 06:49 PM
I'm rebuilding and refitting a motorhome. I have a lot of light sheet metal work to do so I am considering buying a sheet metal folder. Most of the sheets will be 0.8mm or less.

I came across this Hafco 3-in-1 (http://hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/Catalogues/Metalworking/69.html) panbrake/folder, guillotine and roller at Hare & Forbes. The CM-1000 would suit me but can anyone comment on there usefulness? I don't want to get something that can do 3 things, but none of them very well!

Grahame Collins
2nd Aug 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Dylan,
We purchased two of the same units for the Man Arts Dept at school. I could not in any honesty recommend them. The guillotine part seems to get out of adjustment after little no knots piddle about with them. In short, the guillotine section acts as a folder as the clearance of the moving and stationary blade increases. The segments are difficult to move and adjust.
Have not tried the roller yet.

If it was me I would opt for making a folder myself.

Guess who happens to gave some plans for one.
Its is in PDF acrobat and if you send me a private message I will contact you.Give me a couple of days as I am just geeting back up from an major crash.I lost email and favourites but no data as I had that backed up. I have only been back on line for twenty minutes and the board is the first place I have been back to.
Cheers
Grahame

Mick C.
2nd Aug 2005, 11:17 PM
I have used the one that you mention, but only a very lil bit, but didnt notice the problems that Grahame mentions, but then again no kids had been at this one ;) I made a panbrake myself, if u have access to a metal lathe or a friend that can do a bit of turning for you, then you should surely make one.

Grahame, PM coming your way.

JTonks
3rd Aug 2005, 12:00 AM
Dylan

I have no experience with the the unit you refer to however, I was involved with the development of a bender called the Magnabend in the 1980s.

http://www.magnabend.southcom.com.au/index.html

I am not sure what they sell for now and they may be beyond what you want to pay, but I can say they are great machines and very versatile for light guage work. They will bend 16 Ga (1.6mm) over their full length but the bend radius is not very tight.

I won't explain fully how it works as the above link does that quite adequately. Basically the machine consists of a large electromagnet which clamps the metal being bent between the magnet body and a clamp bar. The metal is bent via a hinge beam attached to the front of the magnet body. As the keeper bar is not physically attached like in other benders, it is possible to bend up completely closed shapes.

Hope this helps

John

Dylan SJ
3rd Aug 2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I don't really have time to build a panbrake so I'll probably opt to buy one. I'm about to go down to Hare & Forbes to see what's available.

JTonks: The Magnabend looks great but the $3,150+ price tag puts it beyond my budget :(

Petebass
31st Jan 2006, 07:06 PM
Bump! Any follow-up on this Dylan? Did you end up buying a panbrake?

burnt out boily
25th Mar 2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Dylan,
We purchased two of the same units for the Man Arts Dept at school. I could not in any honesty recommend them. The guillotine part seems to get out of adjustment after little no knots piddle about with them. In short, the guillotine section acts as a folder as the clearance of the moving and stationary blade increases. The segments are difficult to move and adjust.
Have not tried the roller yet.

If it was me I would opt for making a folder myself.

Guess who happens to gave some plans for one.
Its is in PDF acrobat and if you send me a private message I will contact you.Give me a couple of days as I am just geeting back up from an major crash.I lost email and favourites but no data as I had that backed up. I have only been back on line for twenty minutes and the board is the first place I have been back to.
Cheers
Grahame
Hi Grahame,
Burnt out boily here Grahame wondering whether you would be able to send the plans of your metal bender to myself. Have been searching online for a bender & living in Tom Price would be far easier to build then freight one up.
Kindest regards,
Burnt out Boily (Brian Garbutt / [email protected] )

Grahame Collins
25th Mar 2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Brian,
Those plans have been lost in a crash, but all is not lost.
Do your self a big favor, forget that particular set of plans they were obsolete popular mechanic stuff.Instead check out the thread a ten posts below this one.... here 'tis. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=45792)
A genius named Simso has posted what I consider to be the Rolls Royce of home built segmented pan brake sheet metal benders.
Everything, and I mean absolutely everthing you need to know about building a 600mm wide bender has been posted.Pictures ,drawings cad plans and text explanation.

About 40 odd pages if thats enough detail for you.

Sure! you may have to organize a bit of milling and lathe work but surely that within the grasp of most metal tradies.

There are quite a few including myself constructing these beasts. My costs so far are about $130 for materials. Anywhere you wasting time here,get yerself down to Simso's post and begin.

Cheers Grahame

echnidna
25th Mar 2007, 10:42 PM
If you really want the old popular mechanics (1958) plans for a 17" wide folder I can send you a copy.

But they are not a patch on simso's design and his step by step details