PDA

View Full Version : Windsor build

azzrock
31st Jul 2016, 08:31 PM
Hi every one. I've been building a ford xw pansy van for years now.
its time to get it finished.
it a top quality build so far.
ive been trying to come up with a engine and have a few ideas.
no 1 . A v8 fuel injected donated from a falcon au.
preflaby a hand built tickford engine.

no 2 a modern ford turbo 6 engine.

no3 a carbureted Windsor 301 or 351
with upgraded cam and heads.

no 4 build a street boss engine . Windsor block and Cleveland heads. I all ready have a set of new alloy
Cleveland heads and a 298 Windsor block.

has any one done any thing like that?

Jonno_G
4th Aug 2016, 02:18 AM
Can I suggest option no 5?

Combine option 3 or 4 with an Edelbrock or Holley throttle body type fuel injection system.

Some of the more modern 'learning' EFI systems seem to be getting pretty impressive results these days, and if your van was available with a factory V8 then if you stick with a block from the same era (i.e. appropriate engine number) then it might save you from having to have it engineered for an engine conversion.

Options 1 or 2 would make for very nice driveability, but you would need to have either good auto electrical skills or deep pockets.

Given that you already have the block and heads I'd go with that combo and build it up from there, but add the above mentioned EFI.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,... Jon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ryan in Melbour
4th Aug 2016, 10:55 AM
351 block is higher than the 302, 9.5" verses 8.2" deck heights. this will need different intakes and exhausts.

what is the intended use of the vehicle?
street cursing, drag racing, towing?

What gear box is going behind it?

I would think you could pick up the entire AU III drive line, ie Engine, Gearbox, rear end, and computer for around $2k to $3k

Or maybe something like this - Nope this is not mine and im not selling it, it was advertised on another forum. let me know if your interested

For sale

-complete running gear from a 2003 BA Boss 260 ute, below is what is included and I will sell parts seperately.
-5.4lt V8 32 Valve, had timing chain and seals replaced around 5000km ago.
-5 speed manual transmission,
-clutch assembly still fitted to the engine and in good condition,
-Gibson 2 Piece tail shaft (centre bearing in good condition)
-LSD diff in good condition, includes rear discs and brakes included,
-complete engine, car and computer harness with computer included,
-centre console controls, dash cluster,
-Full pedal box for manual conversion,
-complete clutch hydraulic system included,
-V8 brake booster and master cylinder included,
-V8 front brakes and vented discs,
-headers - exhaust has been sold headers still fitted.
-engine and gearbox cross members,
-Engine comes complete with all accessories, including starter motor, alternator, power steering and reservoir,
-Thermo fans but shroud is damaged
-Stereo control steering wheel with steering column, also comes with keys for the ignition,
-Heap more photos if interested I can text them through.
Worrigee (Nowra) NSW. Pick up only
$2500 for everything
or ring for individual prices

http://www.ozclubbies.com.au/uploads/monthly_07_2016/post-3241-0-75718000-1469745691.jpg

Vernonv
4th Aug 2016, 11:33 AM
I'm not so familiar with Ford engines (more familiar with Holden/Chev), but one option is to buy a complete vehicle with a running engine (even a written off vehicle). That way:
1. You know the engine is running, can be tested and will contain all parts for the transplant - could make fault finding a little easier when you know for sure it was all working before you started. This is especially so with EFI engines.
2. When done you can wreck the rest of the vehicle and re-coup some cash.

I bought a V8 Commodore for $1000 to use the engine for a jet boat and after wrecking out the major components I didn't need, I actually made a nice little profit on the deal.

Jonno_G
4th Aug 2016, 12:04 PM
^^^ Wot he said!!!

For two and a half grand that is a great package. There will be a huge amount of work in adapting all of that into an XW, but if you're already considering an XR6T conversion then obviously the amount of work isn't going to turn you off.

If your aim is street cruising with plenty of poke then this would be the way to go - and stop too, given that the late model brakes are included in the package!

Jonno_G
4th Aug 2016, 12:13 PM
Oops, I was too slow! I was responding to Ryan's post.

Vernon does make good points too though.

19brendan81
29th Dec 2016, 09:52 PM
I've got a tick ford AU1 with 175k on the clock that is currently my daily driver. I am thinking about selling it in the new year. If you want assurance that everything works then you could drive this one into your garage. Pulls well, particularly at highway speeds.