PDA

View Full Version : Foundry to cast a steel part

Mike4
24th Jul 2016, 09:32 PM
Any of the SE Queensland members know if the foundry at Dalby is still operating?
I have a cast steel part to either fabricate or get cast.

The original is cracked from a major bingle with a bigger machine, and cant be safely repaired by welding as its a safety issue.

Fabrication will take a while as there is a quite a few machined surfaces and bores.

It is similar to the pivot assembly on a backhoe.

Michael

Mike4
31st Jul 2016, 11:59 AM
Looking like I will have to either find a part from a machinery dismantler or spend big$ for a new part .
It seems that manufacturing in Australia is non existent , or people don't want to take on difficult tasks.

Michael

KBs PensNmore
31st Jul 2016, 04:19 PM
Mike, what's the part you're looking for, someone on here may know of a part for you???
You're right about the manufacturing industry, it seems the Govt with its RED tape and unions, don't want it here????
Kryn

.RC.
31st Jul 2016, 06:18 PM
I take it Doug Slack foundry no longer exists?

Mike4
31st Jul 2016, 07:59 PM
RC No they closed quite some time ago.
Whites in Dalby may be the closest and they will do small one off jobs .

The price from OEM is over $8k , it would take quite a long time to fabricate one and it would need stress relieving before machining as the welding will induce a lot of stress.

The machining would be about a week in between jobs , lots of bushes and bearing fits.

Casting would only require machining .

I am waiting for an email and then can decide if its worth continuing to get it cast.
Michael