PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Melbourne

caskwarrior
11th Jul 2016, 06:32 PM
G'day, My name is Ralph, im a programmer by trade, but I grew up in an engineering family. Ive been into Metalworking, particularly Machining for the last three years or so.

I got into it to help make a short run of parts for a 1912 Caddilac my father was/is working on and boy did it stick. I had an old, pretty worn out Nuttall 12" lathe, But I have recently purchased a 1966 Macson 14" Lathe (Mostly for the higher spindle speeds and extra horsepower so I can run more modern tooling) and A J-head Bridgeport. Thankfully a great friend of mine has allowed me some space in his factory for all this gear. I look forward to posting about some projects as I get set-up and working.

Ill be headed to Bendigo swap meet this year with a lot of my duplicate/unneeded gear this year so Ill probably post it up for a bit of horse trading before hauling it up there.

Regards - Ralph

Oldneweng
11th Jul 2016, 08:41 PM
Hmm. The lathe looks a bit familiar, if you stand on yer head :rolleyes:.

Welcome to the forum.

Dean

morrisman
11th Jul 2016, 10:29 PM
Hi Ralph

I resemble that lathe , they were made at least til the mid 1960's , the later examples had a camlock spindle fitting I think

Is the Caddy a V8 ? I recall seeing one of similar vintage years ago . Impressive looking car . Mike

caskwarrior
12th Jul 2016, 05:33 PM
Hah, I find it a lot easier to use my lathe roof mounted and on the floor, helps chip removal and cleanup. The caddy is a big 5 litre four cylinder model 30, Id pop some photos up but I can fit all 20,000 pieces of it in the frame. Yeah thats the same lathe a model C, mine does have the D1-6 camlock spindle. My newer Macson uses this weired European style taper lock with a big rotating washer that holds bolts from the backplate, dont know how i feel about it yet, kind of a pain in the ass.

old1955
14th Jul 2016, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Ralph.