PDA

View Full Version : Windsor engine

azzrock
9th Jul 2016, 01:59 AM
Wanted a tuff ford Windsor for project,
Plus Windsor alloy heads.

KBs PensNmore
16th Jul 2016, 03:46 PM
Are you after a complete runner, Ex condition, good condition, rebuildable or block only????
Kryn

azzrock
16th Jul 2016, 06:39 PM
Hi kryn. How are you?

Good question I have a block. Something turn key would be good. I have a set of Cleveland Aly heads I was thinking of building a street boss.
Just looking.

KBs PensNmore
16th Jul 2016, 07:09 PM
Not to bad thanks. Will ask my son, as he's into wrecking vehicles as a job, plus him and a mate do it on the side, mainly Holden Commodore stuff but never know what he gets. His own Vehicle, when and if, he gets it back from the impound yard, is a LH Torana with a Gen III motor, spent over $50K on it.
What are you looking at putting the Windsor into??
Kryn

Oldneweng
16th Jul 2016, 07:58 PM
What is the difference between Windsor and Cleveland? When I was much younger and into cars I was under the impression that Cleveland's were the better motor and Windsor's were the motors used in every V8 Falcon. I was never a V8 fan. I was happy with a 250 2V. It was pretty cheap to fit and cost no more than a standard 250 to run and maintain, but was fun on the weekends. Adelaide to Murray Bridge was a popular run on a Saturday night, but not via the freeway. That was boring.

Dean

azzrock
16th Jul 2016, 08:17 PM
363385It for this project. A 69 ford pv.
a Gm based car would make it cheaper.

As as for the diff between the Cleveland and Windsor . The Windsor replaced the Cleveland.

azzrock
16th Jul 2016, 08:24 PM
I'm having problems posting pics

KBs PensNmore
16th Jul 2016, 10:00 PM
When I was young and stupid was told the difference was the width of the block Windsors a slightly narrower, whereas the Cleveland was a wider block as used in the GTHO. Can get you an EFI Windsor that's done 150K if that's acceptable, will PM you with a price.
Kryn

azzrock
16th Jul 2016, 10:10 PM
Here's the other one. My explanation was just the simplest I could think of

KBs PensNmore
16th Jul 2016, 10:23 PM
Painting it camo, won't help in hiding from the local constabulary.:2tsup:

azzrock
16th Jul 2016, 11:11 PM
You know maybe not but the radar absorbing paint can't hurt

azzrock
16th Jul 2016, 11:40 PM
Just a few more pics.

KBs PensNmore
16th Jul 2016, 11:49 PM
Was that you sitting doing nothing, and is that your shed or where you work?? Nice paint work by the way:2tsup:.
Kryn

Harry72
17th Jul 2016, 02:21 PM
Oldneweng

Australian clevelands were originally truck motors and windsors were designed for cars... as for which one is better in standard form clevo is a stronger motor but a lot heavier and physically bigger and windsor is lighter smaller... power wise is just too subjective to say which is better. Windsor(BTW Australia are the only ones who call them windsors)have way more aftermarket and factory hi po parts...

azzrock
17th Jul 2016, 10:15 PM
Kryn a Eco Windsor in the pv would be great. I'll have to look into if I can get it go.

azz

Ryan in Melbour
20th Jul 2016, 09:30 PM
Cool thread.

Cant help with the engine search.....will be after one myself i think !
I have a mate up Ballarat way who has a nice litel Clevor motor (windsor dart block with local clevland aluminum heads on it.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77361&d=1425376773

chris gt40 - Page 5 - GT40s.com (http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/39433-chris-gt40-5.html)

azzrock
20th Jul 2016, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan in Melbour;1909590]Cool thread.

Cant help with the engine search.....will be after one myself i think !
I have a mate up Ballarat way who has a nice litel Clevor motor (windsor dart block

very nice how much work is there in fitting the Cleveland heads to the Windsor block?

Ryan in Melbour
20th Jul 2016, 11:42 PM
azz, i think he said the heads were made locally?
i have no idea when it comes to engines.

google is giving me this though
Hybrid Technology - Muscle Mustang And Fast Fords March 2006 - CHI Cylinder Head Innovations (http://www.chiheads.com.au/hybrid-technology-muscle-mustang-fast-fords-march-2006/)
Contact Us - CHI Cylinder Head Innovations (http://www.chiheads.com.au/contact-us/)

mahgnia
21st Jul 2016, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Ryan in Melbour;1909590]Cool thread.

very nice how much work is there in fitting the Cleveland heads to the Windsor block?

I don't know about anything recent, but in the '70s there were a few things that needed to be done:

1. Water passage outlets to the deck side of the heads needed to be sealed shut and new outlets to the intake manifold side needed to be opened.
2. New pushrods needed to be made up due to the different deck height etc.
3. A Boss 302 intake manifold was required.
4. Pistons needed to be machined to provide valve clearance due to the different valve location in the heads.
5. Pushrod guide plates/hardened pushrods were needed (I think) due to the different pushrod angles with the shorter deck on the Windsor block.
6 Special extractors were required as the Cleveland was wider across the exhaust ports, and the Windsor ports were a different shape/position.

Probably a lot of other details I've missed, as I haven't had much to do with this stuff for 30 years.

Andrew.

Ryan in Melbour
21st Jul 2016, 02:54 PM
got message back from Chris

this is where the heads come from

SCM Engine Developments - Home (http://www.scmenginedevelopments.com/)

azzrock
31st Jul 2016, 08:20 PM
Cool I might start a tread in the auto section

sleepy1963
2nd Jan 2021, 06:46 PM
363385It for this project. A 69 ford pv.
a Gm based car would make it cheaper.

As as for the diff between the Cleveland and Windsor . The Windsor replaced the Cleveland. Incorrect the windsor in Australia came before the cleveland and had a reputation for throwing rods it was replaced by the cleveland in the early seventies the cleveland had big square looking heads and was much wider than the old windsor. Ford axed the v8 in the falcon and when it came back they used the windsor which was obviously better than the old windsor. Ps the clevelands had a weakness also in that when they are highly stressed the used to split bores so if buying a 2nd hnd clevo check the bore size to make sure it hasnt been bored as this weakens the cyls even more. The splits in the bore tend to start half way down vertically and when they reach the thicker metal at the bottom of the waterjacket they turn horizontally.