PDA

View Full Version : gunsmithing excellence

fxst
4th Jun 2016, 11:46 PM
As I just finished watching a couple videos I thought I would link them here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8txmaou4Rc is a girl making a revolver from scratch. She has finished it and what a nice job she did. Worth watching from part 1 as she made every part herself.:2tsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA Nice bit on making a ML as they did in the old days. Very informative
Pete

NedsHead
5th Jun 2016, 06:57 PM
I've been following Waffenschmiedin x since she started the single action build and what a gunsmith! She even drilled and rifled the barrel. her next build will be a 1911 pistol from scratch, I'm looking forward to that, says she will be starting within the week

Hornetb
6th Jun 2016, 11:04 AM
I bumped into her videos a week or so back and agree :O Wow. Talented girl.

Always amazes me what people can do with a little ingenuity and skill. There is a guy in NZ who build an 1894 Sharps single shot rifle (except barrel, although he was nearly going to do that too) entirely on his lathe, with some bloody incredible set ups on the cross slide.

I'd link through to the thread but you have to be registered to read it anyway. If you are interested its on AustralianHunting.net. However I would be very surprised if he hasn't posted his progress on other forums.

Here is one in complete build log of the above.

The Home Machinist! • View topic - Making a Sharps rifle on my lathe (http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98831)

familyguy
11th Jun 2016, 01:16 PM
Excellent work ! pity it is illegal to do that sort of thing here, she is brave however posting the plans, with the internet the way it is it won't be long before some jerk copies them and starts selling the plans off for a profit.

NedsHead
11th Jun 2016, 02:16 PM
I don't think that's the case, the patent would have expired a long time ago making it perfectly legal to copy the design and publish the plans. I would however like to know the law on manufacturing firearms in Australia, I'm sure it's possible otherwise Lithgow Arms could not exist, but whether it's worth the hassle for Joe Public to do is another story

Hornetb
11th Jun 2016, 03:57 PM
Very difficult to get a manufacturers licence in Aus. Near on impossible as they don't like giving them out. Ridiculous really.

NedsHead
11th Jun 2016, 04:54 PM
in some cases a firearm amnesty will allow you to register and keep the firearms you bring in, if you have a naughty imagination, you could probably think of a way to use that to your advantage, but I'm not the naughty type;)

.RC.
11th Jun 2016, 05:18 PM
In NSW even having CNC code can be a jailable offence. 14 years jail is the penalty.

NedsHead
11th Jun 2016, 05:25 PM
Better to just leave Australia if this is the career/hobby you want to pursue

Michael G
11th Jun 2016, 07:42 PM
Very difficult to get a manufacturers licence in Aus.

A guy I know works as a gunsmith - says it took him nearly 3 years to get the appropriate licence. His skill seem to be in demand though...

Michael

NedsHead
11th Jun 2016, 08:48 PM
That's only 3 times as long as it took me to get the basic cat A&B licence (I kid you not)

Hornetb
13th Jun 2016, 03:07 PM
A guy I know works as a gunsmith - says it took him nearly 3 years to get the appropriate licence. His skill seem to be in demand though...

Michael

Works as a gunsmith, doing gunsmithing jobs or actually manufacturing new firearms? I know the law varies from state to state, but in Tasmania at least, you need to be a licensed firearms dealer to perform any gunsmithing work (and this isn't manufacturing). This could be drilling and tapping an action, disassembling for cleaning or replacing a broken part, installing a scope, or threading a barrel and rebarreling an action. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that is actually the way it is worded in the legislation and its the law.

The manufacturing aspect, means starting from a non-registered piece of steel and creating a new firearm or assembling the parts to create a working firearm. I'm forgetful on the details but this manufacturing component requires an additional licence, which specifically allows for the production of firearms and it is this licence that is particularly difficult, nigh on impossible to get, at least in Tas. There are only one or two licenses of this class held in Tas that allow someone to do this, one was Alex Beer, a custom gun maker in the north of the state who builds high end custom double rifles and pistols.

I have a friend (a licensed dealer) who explored the possibility of designing and building custom competition guns. They presented the business plan and were looking for the necessary licenses to look at producing a CNC built action but they were denied the license by the firearms registry for a number of reasons, but mostly that they wanted to limit the number of those licenses available.

Anyway. It would certainly be fun to be able to pursue this aspect of the machining hobby like those in more liberal countries, but this is Australia. The nanny state.

Michael G
13th Jun 2016, 05:43 PM
Works as a gunsmith, doing gunsmithing jobs or actually manufacturing new firearms?

He doesn't do much of it but is licensed to manufacture.
Most of his work seems to be repair and modification though.

Michael

Hornetb
13th Jun 2016, 07:30 PM
Awesome. Good on him. I like to hear of people doing stuff like that. :)

eskimo
23rd Jun 2016, 09:34 AM
part 2a at about 4min 30...she must be a small lady....she is hanging off the mill spindle lever with both arms to get enough pressure on the drill..lol

great work ... makes my noise maker look amateurish

back to watching her.......

Hunch
25th Jun 2016, 08:25 AM
One of the most talented - if eccentric - machinists I've ever come across, he's even had mention in books, got put in the slammer last year for doing a bit of unauthorised work...not a prospect to relish in your late 60s I expect! A mate, who's father worked at Lithgow, to avoid any possibility of being involved in that clusterf, has turned down jobs when the guys couldn't explain what they intended for the end product too.

I did recently see some blueprints for a pistol somewhere, doubt there's a buck to be made, never looked, would have thought that stuff would be all over the internet. I remember NSW cops getting their knickers twisted about the 3d printed plans a little while back though...a little bit thought police to moi...seems a good way to thin the herd. :U

eskimo
25th Jun 2016, 09:52 AM
His skill seem to be in demand though...

Michael

there are a lot of us out there Michael who want a gun which can shoot 10's. A good gunsmith can build this...hence why they are in demand....it has to be the gun if one cant shoot 10's and needs to be fixed (until the shooter learns or it sinks in, that he needs to focus at that front sight).

redgrouse
29th Apr 2018, 02:24 AM
Conkers !!! and I thought we were hard done by in Blighty [UK] an engineer by trade I've been working as a gunsmith for over 40 years [retired now] and once you are an RFD -- Registered Firearms Dealer you can repair or manufacture guns that are not prohibited without any further permissions, you do have to register any guns manufactured of course. Even so those in power are constantly chipping at the block and tightening controls - why are they frightened of law abiding citizens ? Getting an RFD license is not difficult but you must be of good character and provide the security required for your works etc.

Works as a gunsmith, doing gunsmithing jobs or actually manufacturing new firearms? I know the law varies from state to state, but in Tasmania at least, you need to be a licensed firearms dealer to perform any gunsmithing work (and this isn't manufacturing). This could be drilling and tapping an action, disassembling for cleaning or replacing a broken part, installing a scope, or threading a barrel and rebarreling an action. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that is actually the way it is worded in the legislation and its the law.

The manufacturing aspect, means starting from a non-registered piece of steel and creating a new firearm or assembling the parts to create a working firearm. I'm forgetful on the details but this manufacturing component requires an additional licence, which specifically allows for the production of firearms and it is this licence that is particularly difficult, nigh on impossible to get, at least in Tas. There are only one or two licenses of this class held in Tas that allow someone to do this, one was Alex Beer, a custom gun maker in the north of the state who builds high end custom double rifles and pistols.

I have a friend (a licensed dealer) who explored the possibility of designing and building custom competition guns. They presented the business plan and were looking for the necessary licenses to look at producing a CNC built action but they were denied the license by the firearms registry for a number of reasons, but mostly that they wanted to limit the number of those licenses available.

Anyway. It would certainly be fun to be able to pursue this aspect of the machining hobby like those in more liberal countries, but this is Australia. The nanny state.