PDA

View Full Version : Deburring and chamfering machine

jhovel
29th Apr 2016, 02:48 AM
One of the people I follow on YouTube, Stefan Gotterwinter, came up with a deburring and chamfering machine design that appealed to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8pLEfKZy4w. And I had all the materials to adapt his design to an edge trimmer I have.
So I had a go at making a version - that I finished tonight. The steel collar still needs a coat of paint to look nice ('Bob's fault' style).
I used one of the aluminium slugs I cast a few weeks ago from aluminium scrap for the body of the tool.
I had to make a clamping collar to suit my edge trimmer and a steel tube I had in the useful box was claoe to the dimensions. The sliding surfaces are 2mm stainless steel and the little depth indicator is brass.
The hardest thing to machine was the cooling air vent that I (foolishly) decided to bore at 45 deg - for airflow. I ended up making a bit of a mess of it trying different approaches. Finally a friend suggested that I clamp it to the side of the toolpost of the lathe and put a boring in a 4-jaw chuck. that was the solution, but it only barely cleaned up the mess I made. I might clean it up a bit more with a sanding arbour in a diegrinder one day.
The cutting tool is a 4-flute 1/4" carbide endmill and it seems to work OK on aluminium and even better on mild steel. Aluminium seems to weld itself a bit easily to the cutter.
362247 362248 362249 362250 362251

jhovel
29th Apr 2016, 04:11 AM
In case it isn't obvious: the flat plate/bracket is for clamping the thing to a table or holding it in a vice. The angle grinder handle screws into the end and remains removable.

Michael G
29th Apr 2016, 07:49 AM
Nice Joe, although I'm not sure about the red stuff in photos 4 and 5. If you run along the edge to be trimmed with a normal paraffin candle it will act as a solid lubricant and help prevent that Al built up edge.

Michael

Petip
29th Apr 2016, 09:03 AM
Nice little project Joe, well executed. Should be a very useful tool, how wide a chamfer is it comfortable with in mild steel? It will be interesting to see how many metres worth of chamfering you get out of the end mill. I also enjoy watching Stefans youtube channel.
Cheers
Peter

Grahame Collins
29th Apr 2016, 09:18 AM
It looks great Joe,

Are you able to reverse back to using the tool as a trimmer when you need to ?

Yes I noticed the claret as well.I hope its just a nick from a sharp edge ?

Grahame

Piers037
29th Apr 2016, 11:33 AM
Hi Joe,

Nice job and very handy tool. I am also a big fan of Stefan's videos.

I have also sketched up a design to use an electric die grinder I got at a garage sale. I plan to build my one with a two part threaded body to enable depth adjustment by rotating the die grinder.

Cheers

Piers

eskimo
29th Apr 2016, 03:33 PM
Yes I noticed the claret as well.

me too.....with all those drops bit bigger than a nick I reckon

jhovel
29th Apr 2016, 06:46 PM
me too.....with all those drops bit bigger than a nick I reckon

I knew someone would spot them..... :doh: I cut by thumb on the sharp edges of the loose carbide cutter, trying to pick out the aluminium spirals. I didn;t realise I had dripped on the chipboard until I looked at the photos when posting them....

Thanks for the hint re using the candle, Michael. Will try over the weekend.

The chamfer on steel is limited to about 1mm DOC for the first pass and about 05mm for subsequent passes. The maximum is obviously the 1/4" of the cutter, but I think that's asking for trouble. I did some on aluminium sections at 1/4" wide chamfer (about 4mm DOC) in one pass. I think that was when it welded the difficult to remove swarf on.
Could I clean the endmill with caustic soda, or does it attack tungsten too?

I will be interested to see how long the cutters last too!

Thanks everybody for your interest!

eskimo
30th Apr 2016, 11:15 AM
I knew someone would spot them..... :doh:

we wer'nt worried tho ....cos you had to be alive to post it ...lol

jhovel
30th Apr 2016, 08:28 PM
Oh, and Grahame,
the tool I made just clamps onto the body of the trimmer. Loosen the two clamp screws and it comes right off. No changes were made to the trimmer at all.

BaronJ
30th Apr 2016, 08:52 PM
Hi Joe,

Nifty bit of construction there :2tsup: I very much like it. I might have a go at making one. :)

I have a similar motor kicking about, from an electric lawn mower I believe. I haven't tried to measure the spindle speed of it yet and think it may need a speed controller. What do you reckon a good speed would be for say a 5 or 6 mm end mill on mild steel.

jhovel
30th Apr 2016, 10:41 PM
Well, the lowest I can set my speed controller to (in an external box - the Chinese variety like this: 4000W AC 220V SCR Voltage Regulator Speed Controller Dimmer Thermostat FT1 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222029130773)) is around 8000rpm. SFM tables for carbide in mild steel say 100 - 400 feet per minute. That would be 4800 - 19200 rpm. It 'feels' a little fast to me. I suspect the lower end would make the tool last longer. Feed should be around 0.0015 per tooth. At the range listed, that would be between 28.8" - 115.2" per minute. That's about 1/2" - 2" per second (I think I can estimate what I feed by hand easier in 'per second' than 'per minute'.... That is slower than I did it. Maybe that's why it felt wrong?
Now that I looked it up, I'll tray again at around 15000rpm and 1.5" per second. See how that goes.