PDA

View Full Version : Today's Education Standards

Auskart
22nd Apr 2016, 01:00 PM
This is the Description of a Lathe on Ebay....

"I m got up for sale this un finish project, of a metal lathe, the bench with the staff on it is for sale. The gentleman who was working on it pass away an left all this behind. is time to clean out. Please look at the photos carefully an is it suit you bid for it. I frankly recommend to inspect before bidding. located at Campbelltown NSW. this is a pick up only. cash on pick up prefer...."

Doesn't go well for the future.

bob ward
22nd Apr 2016, 01:29 PM
Today's education standards?!?

For years we have been putting more and more money into the education systems and getting poorer and poorer results. I blame the education unions, they are not interested in good education only in having more and more education staff employed which gives them more and more money and more and more power. The state governments are too p1ss weak to stand up to them.

50 odd years ago I was smart enough to take Latin and French at 12yo, today they have remedial English classes for 1st year uni students. The kids aren't getting dumber but the education system certainly is.

Anyway, don't get me started otherwise I'll really tell you what I think.

eskimo
22nd Apr 2016, 03:05 PM
could be an immigrant/visitor who does not understand English all that well?

eskimo
22nd Apr 2016, 03:14 PM
Anyway, don't get me started otherwise I'll really tell you what I think.

dont let us stop you...

We sent all our 3 kids to private schools...we ended up with one challenged son...meaning it has also lot to do with the kids desires to learn.

the two youngest are at uni with "middle" son also touring the world, playing computer games Professionally...go get a job I used to say to him...then found out he did in fact have one.

sacc51
22nd Apr 2016, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, there seems to be a reluctance by many to use spelling and/or grammar checkers that are embedded in many word processors and even some forums. Many, it seems, aren't even aware they exist. Unfortunately, even spell checkers can miss things like there and their, or of and off and so on. The onus is therefore on the author to check what they have written prior to posting if they expect people to understand their written word.
Having said that, I can see nothing wrong with teaching/correcting spelling, punctuation, grammar and sentence structure in non-English subjects, and dare I say it 'route learning', something that is frowned upon in today's education system. Before I retired I, with a grade school education, found myself in a position where I was correcting the written endeavours of subordinates who possessed university degrees, I found that extraordinary.

Auskart
22nd Apr 2016, 04:06 PM
I believe most of it comes down to the lack of teaching skills these days, the kids all have laptops or tablets so don't really do any written work for the teachers to check and correct any mistakes.

welder
22nd Apr 2016, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah it definitely comes down to teaching. I am 20 and can honestly say my highschool education was a bit of a joke. From year 10 onwards I wagged English too play in the metalwork room, or I just left to buy machinery and tools but most kids wagged to have a smoke. Maths,Science,speeling and gramar who needs it anyway :;

eskimo
22nd Apr 2016, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah it definitely comes down to teaching. I am 20 and can honestly say my highschool education was a bit of a joke. From year 10 onwards I wagged English too play in the metalwork room, or I just left to buy machinery and tools but most kids wagged to have a smoke. Maths,Science,speeling and gramar who needs it anyway :;

you youngsters will never learn.

PDW
22nd Apr 2016, 07:30 PM

Nobody needs any of that stuff, as long as they want to remain unemployed......

I used to bin any resume with gross grammatical and spelling errors without further ado. Wasn't my job to figure out what someone was trying to say when I had a lot of choices.

PDW

jmebgo
22nd Apr 2016, 09:56 PM
Don't write us all off based on one eBay listing. I don't see anything that would indicate when/where/how this person was educated.

Regards,
Joe

Auskart
23rd Apr 2016, 07:23 AM
Don't write us all off based on one eBay listing. I don't see anything that would indicate when/where/how this person was educated.

Regards,
Joe

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying every under 35 or so is the same but I have read many Ebay ads with bad spelling and grammar that it makes you wonder sometimes if the item is theirs or has been stolen by the way the ad is written.

OldRustyToolie
23rd Apr 2016, 09:09 AM
Without quoting others above it seems to be written by an immigrant rather than some half illiterate Aussie from the school system! Having worked with many immigrants at NSWGR and then some 30 plus years at TAFE you see it all. I try to read the broken English and make sense of what it's meant to be just like the people in other countries who try to understand my broken French, Dutch and German. Thank heavens many of them learned some English in their schools so they can understand what we are trying to ask.

chambezio
23rd Apr 2016, 11:05 AM
Who ever it was that taught me English (as a subject) early on in the education process has made me a little anal about sentence construction and spelling. I do like to make my messaging in this medium to have proper construction and grammar.

The way the education system is at the moment .....giving you a certificate just because you have finished a 4 year or 6 year coarse is wrong! If a doctor did his 5 years coarse and was handed their certificate to work on real people without doing proper study and passing exams to prove their knowledge where would we be?

We had an Apprentice when, I was working, who was a good kid and showed a lot of promise. A number of tasks I got him to do I assumed he would have done them at school but he said he hadn't. Even now when I do some laminex top work I can hear my old school teacher's words telling me how to go about it.

.RC.
23rd Apr 2016, 05:01 PM
Who ever it was that taught me English (as a subject) early on in the education process has made me a little anal about sentence construction and spelling.

heh heh I assume it was deliberate

giving you a certificate just because you have finished a 4 year or 6 year coarse is wrong! If a doctor did his 5 years coarse and was handed their certificate to work on real people without doing proper study and passing exams to prove their knowledge where would we be?

Mike4
26th Apr 2016, 02:26 PM
If the education system went back to some of the old methods , eg rote system instead of social skills and other "necessary skills" we may get people who can add , spell and think without the mobile devices .

I have two daughters who have completed uni ,one a civil engineer , the other is a fully fledged Vet .

They both tell me how the work with people who cant communicate even the simplest problems or how they have to correct how someone has written a report so that it can be read.

Its not just old school people who are saying this.

Both girls attended a state school where they learnt to research information , and mum and dad would help where possible during the early years .

Its not just the schools , many parents seem to regard learning as a wholly a schools problem as well as a child minding service.

Michael

clive hugh
26th Apr 2016, 08:02 PM
I am 71 and two people I went to school with got through the whole system and were basically illiterate, both, incidentally, were not stupid or in any way impaired, they had just slipped through the cracks. They both led fruitful lives and were never a drain on society either. So it is not a new problem. Although as a TAFE lecturer I sometimes thought I was reading pidgin english.