PDA

View Full Version : Boring Head

scottyd
14th Apr 2016, 04:39 PM
So with the recentish acquisition of the HM-46 late last year, Im spending a lot of time making tooling for the mill. A few simple things done, an arbor here and there, it was time to tackle something a little more abitious. I had a few new skills to pick up in this, Ive not cut or measured dovetails before and it was the first chance Ive had to use my rotary table to index the dial.

Its taken me quite a few months but its finally done. Its had a couple of test bores and it works a treat. Interestingly, I was prepared to make a tap to create a very fine thread for the radius adjustment screw but as luck would have it, the right animal actually turned up on ebay. 7ish bucks for a M8 x 0.5mm tap and I was laughing. Cutting the matching screw was a delicate act though, not a lot of thread depth between needing a spanner to turn it and loosy goosy. The first one turned up a treat, only for me to cock it up five minutes later when I was doing the two larger rings on the end. Oh well :(

Also in the stuff-ups department, dont mind the groves in both ends of the moving block...thats...uh...so I can turn it around and use it in reverse if need be? Its definitely NOT because I machined the wrong end by accident.

Video of it running here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGYWOKGAoQ)

snapatap
14th Apr 2016, 07:35 PM
Good job. Even professional machinist's make mistakes, although we don't admit it often:U. My boss has a saying " If you do nothing, nothing goes wrong".

Oldneweng
14th Apr 2016, 07:45 PM
Also in the stuff-ups department, dont mind the groves in both ends of the moving block...thats...uh...so I can turn it around and use it in reverse if need be? Its definitely NOT because I machined the wrong end by accident.

Always thinking ahead. I like that. :D

Dean

eskimo
15th Apr 2016, 09:25 AM
okay april fools day was at the beginning of the month

c'mon come clean and tell us where you bought it

:2tsup:

scottyd
15th Apr 2016, 11:30 AM
Ha, I wish! Actually, I mentioned to the missus that Ive been really good with money by making this one. Ive had to purchase 5 thousand dollars worth of machinery and tooling so I could save 200ish on a boring head!

eskimo
15th Apr 2016, 12:00 PM
Ha, I wish! Actually, I mentioned to the missus that Ive been really good with money by making this one. Ive had to purchase 5 thousand dollars worth of machinery and tooling so I could save 200ish on a boring head!

did she fall for it...
mine can count and would quickly work out that saving $200 on a $5K investment aint worth it lol

scottyd
15th Apr 2016, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately no, but she's probably more worried about the motorbike and its ferocious appetite for tyres. Lets just call them investments in my happiness and sanity and not do some actual accounting on that one!

.RC.
15th Apr 2016, 01:53 PM
Looks very good.

On the subject of machining mistakes, I never make any. I just create extra "features" on the workpiece :D.

Also been known to try amateur magic by turning one cutter into two. :D:D

PDW
15th Apr 2016, 10:07 PM
Looks very good.

On the subject of machining mistakes, I never make any. I just create extra "features" on the workpiece :D.

I just create raw material for some future project (that doesn't require quite as big piece of metal).......

Then again there's always the welder......

PDW

scottyd
15th Apr 2016, 10:49 PM
Dont think I didnt thunk about the welder either, the missus got one for christmas so it was on hand. Getting the outside machined was a total prick of a job though, so I just thought id leave it.

steran50
1st May 2016, 07:13 PM
Very nice work. Yeah with steel at least you can weld a bit on.

WoodBee2
1st May 2016, 08:48 PM
Looks very good.

Also been known to try amateur magic by turning one cutter into two. :D:D
In a previous life I worked in the computer industrie. Over there we never had "bugs", just "undocumented features" ;-)

Peter