PDA

View Full Version : Australia Post and their attitude

Mike4
7th Mar 2016, 10:19 AM
I am currently attempting to find some items which were sent to me from a supplier in Sydney .
All the tracking number shows is some detail about which processing facility the parcel is at .
I should have received the parcel on Friday 4-3-16, it was sitting in Rockhampton, now Monday and still no idea of where the parcel is and all the Australia Post people can do is ask "when was it posted " , what an utterly hopeless business , no wonder they are not making any money.

I dont mind if someone can tell me why its where it is , eg truck was delayed or sorting equipment broke down , but instead they rabbit on with a lot of agravating dribble .

I will be contacting the sender and tell them to never send anything via Australia post again if they wish to continue as a supplier.

Couriers may be more expensive but the items would have been here Friday and in use Saturday, instead of being searched for.

Michael

BobL
7th Mar 2016, 10:23 AM
Crikey, Maybe its a WA thing but I rarely receive Aust Post packages on the due day. I always allow 3/4 days after the due date before I launch the attack dogs.

Mike4
7th Mar 2016, 06:37 PM
I find it very interesting that after blasting them and making a complaint the satchel strangely appeared.
I require a time for a delivery so that work can be scheduled or customers contacted about jobs.
I have just got an email from another supplier , which tells me that it is becoming normal to add another two days to their estimated delivery time.

As to the idea of not working on weekends or public holidays is also a joke as normally the contractors have a B-double of freight come into their local depot on Saturday morning as I am often there collecting pallets of freight , and while the truck is being unloaded there are usually several Australia Post bins unloaded as well.

I do not follow the reasoning behind the attitude that the call centre staff have on the phone , one of superiority and arrogance towards customers who question the delivery times and the so called tracking .

Michael

China
7th Mar 2016, 09:28 PM
These days if I need a product posted, I always tell the the person that it is subject to Australia Post and when and if they manage to deliver the item, I can obtain posted items from the USA faster than from NSW.

wheelinround
9th Mar 2016, 07:14 AM
I guess when the CEO is taking home $5million he knows for sure that the rising charges, slow service additional times are all adding to his pay packet. Add to this the kick backs for the fleet re-paint he as ordered.

Vernonv
9th Mar 2016, 09:17 AM
I'm actually quite happy with Aus posts service, but then again I have reasonable expectations. I get good personal service when I'm in the local PO, which is quite often as we get most parcels sent to our PO Box.

Only gripe I have is the increase in cost for the PO Box this year.

Mike4
10th Mar 2016, 09:44 AM
Another satchel arrived today and it has been roughly treated in transit.
It amazes me how people treat any parcel/satchel that has a bit of weight in it , they just chuck it about ,dont care if any of the contents are damaged.

If I went to the post office and chucked a parcel on the floor they would be calling the police for abuse ,(the poor things), yet everyone say you should make sure that items are packed to prevent damage.

Why not instill into everyone that handles freight that the items are to be treated with care or its out the door immediately,and make that a term of employment.

Michael

.RC.
12th Mar 2016, 01:31 PM
Heh heh just had an email from AU post regarding tracking of a parcel.

It went through Underwood in Brisbane, then got scanned in Rockhampton 40 minutes later. It must have travelled super sonically.

Oldneweng
12th Mar 2016, 03:19 PM
I hope everyone is aware of the Email Scam relating to AusPost Parcel deliveries.

Dean

Mike4
13th Mar 2016, 11:28 AM
I have started asking suppliers to use couriers and freight companies instead of the postal system , I dont need the constant battle with having to locate items and the , we dont work on week ends dribble.

Yes it costs a bit more but its worth heaps in the less stress and more friendly people on the phone.

Michael

.RC.
14th Mar 2016, 02:54 PM
Well that will teach me to open my big mouth.

I get the parcel. I assume itwas supposed to contain two electric motors. There is one motor in the package, the package had been torn open and was open to the elements.

It also says parcel 2 of 2 so maybe the other motor is in a different parcel.

malb
14th Mar 2016, 10:24 PM
It amazes me how people treat any parcel/satchel that has a bit of weight in it , they just chuck it about ,dont care if any of the contents are damaged.

Just in the local parcel depot, every package will get sorted twice at least, it will enter the depot mixed with other packages for the depot as a whole, and be sorted by delivery contractor, moved to that contractors setup area, then be sorted into run or driver, then sorted by the driver into delivery sequence. A reasonable driver will take care sequencing, but the AP staff and contractors sorter are generally as rough as. Standard procedure is the the container of inwards packages will go into the centre of a set of containers for each contractor or run, and packages are grabbed, and tossed to the appropriate bin. Primary exceptions are items marked fragile or glass, these are normally carried and deposited carefully, particularly if they have an insured sticker on them.

At the depot I worked out of in Melbourne five years ago, total volumes ranged from 20,000 to 100,000 items per day over the year. Arrived at depot between 2 am and 6.30 am (Express packages) and had to be on the road for delivery by 7.30am. Two sorts, sequencing and 2 scan operations in between.

Our contractor handled between 3000 and 10000 packages a day, depending on day and season. Final sort was typically contractor and one other, though I was the stand in sorter if the contractor was on holidays. I was sacked because I was running typically 30 mins longer on sorting than the contractor because a, I took more care, and b, I did it for 4 weeks a year and he had done it for 48 weeks a year for 10 years. He figured I was deliberately going slow (sorting paid by the hour, delivery paid by package counts) to obtain more pay and "defraud" him.

.RC.
14th Apr 2016, 01:59 PM
Sort of AU post related.

Rang up a brisbane business to order some 150mm long pirce of 5" ID brass tubing. I have bought brass tubing off them before without drama.

Freight cost Brisbane to Rockhampton. $50. Asked about au post and a $15 3kg satchel but they do not do AU post as it is too much of a hassle to go to the post office.

Makes you have no sympathy sometimes for businesses when people bypass them and buy overseas.

Hunch
15th Apr 2016, 07:52 AM
To be fair, had similar with O/S businesses refusing to use USPS or Royal Mail.

Here even the lowliest cretin is on what, 20/hr, so you probably have to charge him out at double? Depending on the popularity of the PO, you can be twiddling thumbs for 15~20mins, add vehicle costs/ fuel, etc, profit margin has more than likely gone poof!

In the complex here, I often see the Oz post van picking up along with the usual couriers. If they do enough volume, that might be a possibility...assuming you ever deal with them again.

Mike4
1st Jun 2016, 01:35 PM
just had another thing to add to the saga, when I call the person at Australia post asks "are you the sender or the receiver?", when I tell them that I am the receiver their attitude changes , "the item is the property of the sender" which is really infuriating as I have paid for the contents of the parcel before the seller will ship to me.

Go figure, they Australia post are just the carrier ,but persist with some archaic rules from "jolly old england"..

At least couriers can tell you where a consignment is and treat callers with respect and courtesy .

Michael

Oldneweng
1st Jun 2016, 07:18 PM
AusPost's contract is with the sender, and you could be anyone with some knowledge.

I have had an issue with a courier sent parcel going missing. Last I heard it was in Warnambool, which is not where it should be. The seller said if it wasn't delivered by today he would refund my money.

A bit of pot luck with couriers around here, although they are improving. AusPost however is usually spot on.

Dean

Vernonv
3rd Jun 2016, 01:04 PM
AusPost's contract is with the sender, and you could be anyone with some knowledge.Spot on.
I was sent an item that seemed to get stuck in Chullora (Sydney) for a few days ... just kept getting re-scanned there.

I rang AP and asked them what was going on. They told me that there was obviously an issue with the parcel and that the sender should contact them to sort it out. The seller never contacted them, however the parcel arrived the next day. Don't know whether my phone call got the parcel flagged or not, but way to go AP.

moose2367
3rd Jun 2016, 09:59 PM
I ordered some thread checkers from the USA, somehow my paypal payment had an old address on it, so it went to Katherine, NT. My fault, should've checked.

Rang up and had ir re-directed to the local PO, was scanned into Sydney, then lost. Contacted seller, months later, told him i was going to have to do a paypal claim unfortunately, he was awesome, said he would send another set free, 2 days later the original turned up back in the USA.

Grahame Collins
5th Jun 2016, 09:05 PM
I have items addressed to my PO box and later found out they had been sent back as they had not been collected.

The reason items were not collected as the post office had not left notification cards in my PO box- They did this twice

I specify couriers when I buy things off the net and have no trouble at all.

Oldneweng
6th Jun 2016, 02:19 PM
I have items addressed to my PO box and later found out they had been sent back as they had not been collected.

The reason items were not collected as the post office had not left notification cards in my PO box- They did this twice

I specify couriers when I buy things off the net and have no trouble at all.

This is all dependant on your personal situation.

In my case my PO box is located in another state. This has nothing to do with it tho. :rolleyes: It is located at a country store. The owners know me personally from constant use over the years. They look after their customers. This is what makes the difference.

As I mentioned recently I have an order missing. The couriers sent it down to Warnambool, on the coast instead of via Hamilton, further inland. First mistake. I live 60km outside of courier deliveries. "Any courier delivery". The only courier who has delivered here was carrying medical assistance equipment for my wife after her car accident. I have had probably 100 or more courier delivery's arranged. I often hear "Our couriers deliver anywhere in Australia". That is a lie. They all have limits. Another thing to consider is that there are many city couriers, but there are only a couple who move stuff around the country. The city courier in Melbourne who also delivers that parcel in Sydney, probably had the parcel sent between the two cities by one of the national carriers. Country deliveries go to a central location, via a national carrier and then continue on via a local carrier. This is generally the way it works. The service you get depends on the weakest link. One thing to consider is that a local carrier does not care if it is a small PO box location such as mine because they know it will be picked up.

For the first 12 years or so of our being at this property I avoided couriers completely, or used my PO address, except that I just used the street address of the store/PO. This took longer as it is in SA and required that I picked it up from 28 km away.

For about the last 4 years I have been able to have our local postie accept parcels and bring them out the extra 60km. We signed a document to say he was able to sign for us. The problem with this system is that the courier has to know about it. In some cases they dump the parcel and leave it without letting us know. This has been improving over time, but it is only in about the last 2 years max that it has been generally successful. I often get a phone call from the courier asking what to do and I tell them to give the parcel to the postie and all is good. It takes an extra day to get here.

The parcel that went missing was just dumped, in the wrong town. I don't call that good service. This item has now been refunded. I am hoping I still receive it one day. I need it.

What this whole question really comes down to is that nothing is perfect and the best service is simply the one that works in your situation. What works for one person may be a disaster for another. There are no easy answers.

Dean

Oldneweng
8th Jun 2016, 09:13 PM
An update on my missing parcel. I received a phone call this morning, immediately after I had finished fighting with Skybridge about the not happening satellite installation. I thought it might be one of those people ringing up to apologise for rudely hanging up on me.

It was the original courier asking whether I had received the parcel yet and she then said she would look into it. We went in to town for shopping and when we got home there was a message on the phone saying the parcel was in Casterton, where it should have gone originally. A quick call to the newsagent there and my parcel should be delivered to the gate in the morning.

Dean