PDA

View Full Version : CNC Forum ?

electrosteam
2nd Mar 2016, 08:13 PM
I know that many on this forum have CNC machines, or intend to modify/build/acquire a CNC machine.

Should we petition the Administrator to add a CNC Forum ?

The question was prompted by my joining the local men's shed.
They had been given a box of bits that 'should' be capable of assembling into a router suitable for signs etc.

The guys did a good job on the general hardware, but were having problems with the details and the software.
I started contributing and managed to load the Arduino controller with Grbl.

We then acquired a download of the Universal G-Code Sender for the laptop.
The problem now is that I am not sure how to install it.

It is simple questions like this that could be dealt with here.

There are a multitude of forums out there dealing with all sorts of exotic variants of CNC aspects, but perhaps we could help our members get started on this exciting development with a suitable Forum.

John.

Ryan in Melbour
22nd Apr 2016, 11:14 PM
i am about to buy a mill, which will probably get a cnc conversion at some stage
i have 2 mates with working cnc mahines
i have another mate who is slowly getting his HM50 mill converted to cnc
i have also looked very hard at the MOMUS cnc router project and almost built one, have purchased the plans. I have kept a couple of old computers for eventual use in cnc machines.

i also think that a worm drive or right angle drive with a stepper motor driving,backlash compensation and an encoder would make for a very effective dividing head. wouldn't necessarily need to be cnc, could just be controlled by a small stand alone electronics box.

i think this is what i will probably end up doing as a first cnc project. making some form of indexer to spin the chuck on the lathe or mill table. at least that will allow me to practice without destroying a machines capablity

BobL
23rd Apr 2016, 09:29 AM
Theres already a woody one in the woody forum.

If we do get one I'd rather it was focussed on non-woody topics.

jmebgo
28th Apr 2016, 05:26 PM
Good afternoon all,

I too would like to see a CNC sub-forum. I've recently acquired an RF-30 and would like to convert it to CNC. Knowing little about such things at this stage, I need all the help I can get.

Joe

Ryan in Melbour
28th Apr 2016, 08:35 PM
Maybe it could be the CNC and DRO and VFD sub forum. Kind of keep all the electrical related questions together.
The VFD and CNC kind of go together so it would make sense to put them in one place, then on the other hand 3phase conversion might end up adding a DRO so that would work as well