PDA

View Full Version : Polishing and Restoring Aluminium Bits On a Restoration

Goggomobile
28th Feb 2016, 10:21 AM
Hi all
strangely enough I've got a lot of aluminium strips to clean and polish. I'll remove very carefully. Polish I guess and coat with something.

Ive never done this before. Any tips . I've got some mops.

BobL
28th Feb 2016, 11:35 AM
Hi all
strangely enough I've got a lot of aluminium strips to clean and polish. I'll remove very carefully. Polish I guess and coat with something.

Ive never done this before. Any tips . I've got some mops.

Avoid alway polishing in the same direction otherwise it can streak.
So something like passes at 0º and the 90º at a minimum.
if you want to get it schmick do one at 45º as well and alternate directions as well.

If the pieces are rough and knock about they might need a bit of sanding.
I find giving oxidised pieces a run over with a fine scotchbrite wheel speeds up the process.

joe greiner
28th Feb 2016, 02:43 PM
Several years ago, NASA found that India ink is best for polishing Al. Improves fuel consumption, I guess.

Cheers,
Joe

KBs PensNmore
28th Feb 2016, 04:33 PM
Hi Randal
Once you've got them nice and polished, powder coating them in clear does the trick.
Kryn

Master Splinter
28th Feb 2016, 07:25 PM
If using a bench mounted grinder for butting, just keep them supported with something if they are long and thin, and keep in mind they can be pulled out of your hands by the buff with a moment's inattention and thin edges work exactly like dull but effective knives, so make sure you pay attention to any likely grab spots!!

Otherwise, Supercheap has some good drill mounted scotchbrite and cotton polishing bobs for a few dollars.

Goggomobile
2nd Mar 2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone. Some great tips. I'll keep you posted.

Randal