PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic balancer project

BobL
22nd Feb 2016, 09:29 PM
Finally got a chance t take some pics of this today.

The is a bit of an exploratory project where I'm hoping to learn from mistakes. Hence its been made from scrap parts and in a way that can be easily altered.
The balancer is loosely based on this https://youtu.be/xP_Fc8actok (http://metalworkforums.com/redirect-to/?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FxP_Fc8actok)
Please note that as it is this rig is potentially dangerous and should not be copied without significant modification.

Here are a couple of pics of the whole rig.
Here you can see how Unistrut Track has been used to position the main components so the components can be easily moved around or broken down for storage or reuse.

A is a transfer pulley to arrange for the belt tension to be perpendicular to the direction that the floating carriage (contained inside C) can move.
This direction is parallel to the bench top allowing the vibration to be examined in just one dimension which makes things easier to manage.

B is a fixed shaft support and also contains the rotary position PD sensor (the black box and the SS wheel next to it on the shaft)
D is a SS test/balance wheel to which 3mm screws containing test/balance weights can be added anywhere on the wheel.
The object to be balanced is placed onto the shaft next to the test wheel.
Cat 5 cable is used to wire the two sensors to E which is a junction box that allows easier electrical access to the Accelerometer and rotary position outputs.

The test shaft sits on two pairs of bearings (one pair of bearings on the fixed carriage and the other pair on the floating carriage)and is currently only held down by the belt tension.
This allows the shaft size to be more easily changed although this will then require dedicated rotary encoder wheel, shaft pulley and test whee for each shaft size.
To tension the belt both the fixed and floating carriage sit on height adjustment platforms
It's far too dangerous to operate at speed and I need to add some bearings to the top that would prevent the shaft flying off.
I feel comfortable running the test wheel up to 30 Hz but won't try anything out of balance until added security is implemented.
Ultimately a steel mesh cage will be made to go over the whole shebang
Here is a close up of the floating carriage (F) assembly
The carriage is suspended from 16 small bearings that allows the carriage to rock in the direction given by the red arrow.
E is the rotary position marker and A is the box that holds the Photodiode and a Photo detector/sensor.
B is the test wheel

Here you can see the back of the rotary position wheel (E) half of which is painted matt black and the other half is left polished. As the B&W divide passes across the PD this drives the Black box output high and VV.

Here is the PD box - its the dark blue dot near the top of the box.

This junction box allows the output of the X/Y/Z components of the Accelerometer to be accessed.
These are the 3 BNC connectors in line near the top of the box.
Only one of these makes any physical sense and that the direction of the floating carriage.

The solo BNC connector on the lower half is the Rotary position state.
The black plug on the LHS of the box is 5V DC in from an old mobile phone charger.

I have hooked these up to a CRO and could see something meaningful but not very clearly.
Sorry no photos of the CRO trace as the CRO is currently out of action.
A first order balancing can be obtained by looking at the pair of CRO signals on the screen at the same time to determine the magnitude of the vibration and approx position of where weight has to be added to reduce the vibration.
Weights can be added to the test wheel to reduce the magnitude of the measured Vibe.
This is repeated and weights added and subtracted accordingly.
Sounds easy but is actually VERY confusing
There are more refined/precise/elegant ways of doing this that I am currently exploring.

Most of the components for this project came from stuff left over from other projects or scrap metal.
Even the nice SS wheels were picked up as scrap from a metal merchant
The 3P 2HP 2850 RPM motor was purchased several years ago for $30
The 4HP VFD is the VFD I use for general motor testing
Purchased specifically for this project were
- 16 8x22x7 mm bearings $13
- 4 , 17 x 40 x 12 mm bearings $11
- 2 belts $28
- the accelerometer cost US$1.83
- the rotary position PD cost US$1.30
- various plastic boxes, connectors, glands, nuts and bolts etc cost about another $30
All up about $100.

As I said in another post this is just the easy or beginning bit , now I need to make sense of the outputs and use those to make the balancing corrections.

Michael G
23rd Feb 2016, 07:07 AM
Very interesting.
I'd suggest some sort of strap/ retainer over the bearings - at the moment it looks like you are relying entirely on belt tension to hold the shaft in place. If you lost tension I don't know where the shaft would end up...

The other way I've seen this done (at a University many years ago) was using a plumber block style bearing (the flat type preferably) and having 4 tension springs 'holding' it in position in the middle of a frame. From memory they had better angular discrimination although once per rev would work - just needs a bit more work to work out the acceleration peak position with respect to the disc.

Michael

BobL
23rd Feb 2016, 09:20 AM
Very interesting.
I'd suggest some sort of strap/ retainer over the bearings - at the moment it looks like you are relying entirely on belt tension to hold the shaft in place. If you lost tension I don't know where the shaft would end up...l

YEp thats the next thing on the books

BaronJ
23rd Feb 2016, 09:30 AM
Hi Bob,

I thought that would throw this into the ring :)

The Optical Encoder would need to have a counter that zeroed every 360 degrees. A simple slit opto device would work well here, though you might have to check to find out just what it's maximum count rate will be.

The rubber mount can be anything that will support a bearing and allow the vibration sensor to be coupled to the bearing. The bearing at the driven end can be quite rigid since the shaft should be allowed to flex. The longer the shaft the more flex it will have.

At least there will be no danger of flying bits.

BobL
23rd Feb 2016, 10:12 AM
Hi Bob,

I thought that would throw this into the ring :)

Looks like it would work.
If the rubber wraps all the way around the bearing then the vibration will not be constrained in one dimension like a floating carriage.

The Optical Encoder would need to have a counter that zeroed every 360 degrees. A simple slit opto device would work well here, though you might have to check to find out just what it's maximum count rate will be.
That's basically what my setup has.

The rubber mount can be anything that will support a bearing and allow the vibration sensor to be coupled to the bearing. The bearing at the driven end can be quite rigid since the shaft should be allowed to flex. The longer the shaft the more flex it will have. At least there will be no danger of flying bits.

There appears to be no need to attach the sensor direct to the bearing. nb fact the sensors are so sensitive you can put then pretty much anywhere on the apparatus - even on the bench. The sensors need to be calibrated to determine the weights that need to be added/subtracted but that has to be done anyway.

The sensitivity of the accelerometers and the way they provide XYZ information calls into question the need for a floating carriage or rubber mount. I get very good accelerometer response using the internal accelerometers on an iPad/iPhone and an App called Vibration and just placing the iPad on the bench. The problem is linking the iPad output to the rotary position data to work out where to add/subtract weights. I am going to try the setup without the floating carriage.

RayG
23rd Feb 2016, 01:48 PM
Hi Bob,

Have you seen the Texas Instruments product the SensorTag, For $29 you get a 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis gyro, 3 axis magnetometer, temperature, humidity, pressure, magnetic field, microphone, light level and a couple of switch inputs. It connects via blue tooth to a mobile phone and runs for 1 year on a lithium coin cell. The iPhone and android apps are free downloads.

Simplelink SensorTag - TI.com (http://www.ti.com/ww/en/wireless_connectivity/sensortag2015/?INTC=SensorTag&HQS=sensortag)

Now, if you could get the encoder input to sync with the sensor tag somehow? Maybe connect the switch input to the encode zero output ( if it has one).

Ray

BobL
23rd Feb 2016, 04:29 PM
Hi Bob,

Have you seen the Texas Instruments product the SensorTag, For $29 you get a 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis gyro, 3 axis magnetometer, temperature, humidity, pressure, magnetic field, microphone, light level and a couple of switch inputs. It connects via blue tooth to a mobile phone and runs for 1 year on a lithium coin cell. The iPhone and android apps are free downloads.

Simplelink SensorTag - TI.com (http://www.ti.com/ww/en/wireless_connectivity/sensortag2015/?INTC=SensorTag&HQS=sensortag)
OH no more toys to play with !!!!

Now, if you could get the encoder input to sync with the sensor tag somehow? Maybe connect the switch input to the encode zero output ( if it has one).
Ray

Yes that sounds like it will be a problem - probably data rate limited as well.

BobL
23rd Feb 2016, 10:11 PM
Had a bit more of a play with the balancer today.

First problem was a sticky bearing on the transfer pulley shaft - still haven't sorted that out fully.

Second problem is getting a satisfactory baseline noise level from the accelerometer.
The mains to 5V DC mobile adapter I'm using to power the accelerometer generates or lets too much mains noise through so I need a cleaner DC supply.
The VFD also reflects noise back into the mains which the adapter picks up - I reduced that by powering the adapter via a different circuit to the shed - Yes I have two independent circuits running to the shed.

Third problem is the floating carriage might to have too much inertia reducing the efficient transfer of vibe to the accelerometer.

Of the floating components
1 is a piece of 6mm thick middle steel angle
2 is 25 x 25 mm solid ally
3 is 2 x 25 nn SS
Underneath and connecting 1 and 2 as shown by the red lineis a sheet of 2mm thick SS.

Was thinling of at least chaning the thick angle with some Al?

RayG
24th Feb 2016, 12:43 AM
Hi Bob,

You can get a cheap noise free 5V supply by using a usb battery pack,
Silver Portable 10000mAh 2 USB External Battery Power Bank Pack Charger Phone AU | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Portable-10000mAh-2-USB-External-Battery-Power-Bank-Pack-Charger-Phone-AU-/182005321060?hash=item2a605ccd64:g:eiwAAOSwXshWqYkw)

Ray

BaronJ
24th Feb 2016, 08:36 AM
Looks like it would work.
If the rubber wraps all the way around the bearing then the vibration will not be constrained in one dimension like a floating carriage.

That's basically what my setup has.

I'm sure that I've seen some bearings in mounts that are cushioned in a rubber surround. A bit like a doughnut on a flat plate.

There appears to be no need to attach the sensor direct to the bearing. nb fact the sensors are so sensitive you can put then pretty much anywhere on the apparatus - even on the bench. The sensors need to be calibrated to determine the weights that need to be added/subtracted but that has to be done anyway.

Part of the problem is the noise level ! It masks the signal that you are trying to quantify. So a tight coupling to the center of vibration is important to maximise the signal. The longitudinal vibration, Z axis, will be the biggest signal closely followed by any axial vibration, X axis.

The sensitivity of the accelerometers and the way they provide XYZ information calls into question the need for a floating carriage or rubber mount. I am going to try the setup without the floating carriage.

The only reason the mass under test needs to be in some kind of flexible mount is to allow for flexure of the shaft. This is where the second measurement is made. The out of balance weight on one side of the edge causes vibration in both directions. Cancel out the largest one first and then sort out what ever is left.

BobL
24th Feb 2016, 10:21 AM
Hi Bob,

You can get a cheap noise free 5V supply by using a usb battery pack,
Silver Portable 10000mAh 2 USB External Battery Power Bank Pack Charger Phone AU | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Portable-10000mAh-2-USB-External-Battery-Power-Bank-Pack-Charger-Phone-AU-/182005321060?hash=item2a605ccd64:g:eiwAAOSwXshWqYkw)

Ray

Shoulda thought of that!
I have 2 of those things laying in front of me as I type!

jack620
25th Feb 2016, 07:25 AM
Have you seen the Texas Instruments product the SensorTag,

I have now! What an amazing device for US$29. I ordered one to play with. Thanks for the heads-up.

YBAF
25th Feb 2016, 12:54 PM
I note the drive V-belt appears to be in an unsupported part of the testing shaft. Might get a bit of bounce there ?

BobL
25th Feb 2016, 04:52 PM
I note the drive V-belt appears to be in an unsupported part of the testing shaft. Might get a bit of bounce there ?

Good point - but there is always going to be a trade off as the shaft has to be free to move sideways in as an unrestricted manner as possible. I could move the rotary position sensor to the outboard side of the shaft and close up the gap between the supports a bit.