PDA

View Full Version : Should people read all replies before respond?

pipeclay
19th Feb 2016, 08:00 PM
I have noticed that across most areas of these forums that quite a lot of people make replies that have no real relevance to the question as it has been covered by earlier responses.

I would of thought if it's not worth reading previous replies why waste your time and other forum members time in replying.

What do others think.

jack620
19th Feb 2016, 08:05 PM
In an ideal world I agree with you. But sometimes threads run to many pages and many people don't have the time to read every post to see if the OP's question has already been answered.

I cases like that I usually preface my response with "sorry if this has already been covered....."

If I start a thread I welcome all on-topic replies, even if they are repeating what has already been said.

Stustoys
19th Feb 2016, 08:15 PM
I think this thread should have OT in the title ;)

BobL
19th Feb 2016, 10:26 PM
It depends on how long the thread is.

20 or so pages long I can understand why a response might slip by even a careful reader.

When its only a page or so long and the points have been more than adequately covered several times by other they it gets a bit irritating.

Sometimes it's fun to point this out to said respondent.

Ben Dono
2nd Mar 2016, 08:22 AM
I agree but forums are different things for everyone. Some people just want an answer to a question, some use them for social interaction and others just want a soapbox to dominate from. Everyone is going to use an respond to forums differently.
I see it a bit like trying to control the other drivers around me, their is not point. I just go with the flow and keep my car safely on the road!

I like to read a whole thread before I respond but time is not always on my side.

LordBug
2nd Mar 2016, 01:28 PM
It's one of those impossible dreams.
It's a lot worse on Facebook believe you me. My gardening passion is blooming (pun intended!), and thus I follow a few handy groups there. But the amount of simple questions that you see the same answer repeated by people who don't read any comments is mind blowing, worse still is conflicting information.

I try to do my best to read everything beforehand.