PDA

View Full Version : Clevo pins

morrisman
13th Feb 2016, 10:34 AM
Digitised Resource Viewer (http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/action/nmets.do?DOCCHOICE=2363627.xml&dvs=1455320175840~500&locale=en_AU&search_terms=&adjacency=&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/nmets.do?&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=4&divType=&usePid1=true&usePid2=true)

is this lady making a special part ?

Looks like a Beaufort fuselage . What are all of those pins for ? ( job no. 132 ) something to do with the riveting ?

Big Shed
13th Feb 2016, 12:53 PM
Link doesn't work for me.

malb
13th Feb 2016, 04:07 PM
Link is not working so I haven't seen the picture you want to discus.

But you mention pins, rivetting and aircraft production which gives a good clue.

Most likely the "pins" are Cleco's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleko), a form of temporary fastening used with assembling light gauge sheet metal panels with rivets or screws and nuts. Units are used to secure mating parts for drilling and fastening, but the parts are separated in between drilling and fastening for deburing or other processes, then rejoined with the Cleco to locate the parts, Once everything is lined up and all holes register with their mating holes, the Clecos are removed one at a time and replaced with rivets or screws and nuts.

In use a special plier pushes a movable pin protruding through the top of the body into the body, which in turn pushes the splring loaded clamp plunger out of the base of the body. The clamp plunger can then be passed through the predrilled hole in the metalwork. The plier is then released and the clamp plunger grips the inner layer of sheet metal and pulls it firmly against the outer layer of metal, courtesy of being spring loaded to the body. This way, once two components are fully joined and aligned they are in their final positions and firmly in contact with each other. For final joining, they are removed one at a time with the special pliers, and replaced with a permanent fastener.

Cleco's are still in regular use and readily available through industrial supplies and via ebay.

jmebgo
13th Feb 2016, 04:15 PM
malb,

Thanks for that explanation, I've always wondered how they are used.

Joe

morrisman
13th Feb 2016, 07:12 PM
The link was working on the library computer - strange

Anyway , yes, the Cleco system it would be .

I will try to fix the link at the library , Its actually a State library of Victoria pic . One of a series on WW2 production .

Grahame Collins
13th Feb 2016, 08:13 PM
Here's more info and some pics on how clecos work.

Cleco pins - how to use ? | MIG Welding Forum (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/cleco-pins-how-to-use.7845/)

steve.rsa
14th Feb 2016, 03:11 PM
Tubalcain just showed some in his latest what is video.

clear out
17th Feb 2016, 07:43 AM
This post got me thinking about when did Clecos first appear?
A mate of mine served his apprenticeship as an aircraft sheetmetalworker at Dehavillands at Bankstown in the '60s and when we worked in Experimental at Leyland he introduced me to to skin pins. I bought some in the '90s and a pic is below. English made 1954 patent.
I did a quick internet search on Cleco and came up with the pic from the 1944
50 year commemorative wartime publication of the Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Co manufacturers of the Cleco.
A lot of different companies now make Clecos and there are other designs that can be tightened with a spanner for a better grip.
H.

wheelinround
18th Feb 2016, 08:55 AM
This post got me thinking about when did Clecos first appear?
A mate of mine served his apprenticeship as an aircraft sheetmetalworker at Dehavillands at Bankstown in the '60s and when we worked in Experimental at Leyland he introduced me to to skin pins. I bought some in the '90s and a pic is below. English made 1954 patent.
I did a quick internet search on Cleco and came up with the pic from the 1944
50 year commemorative wartime publication of the Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Co manufacturers of the Cleco.
A lot of different companies now make Clecos and there are other designs that can be tightened with a spanner for a better grip.
H.

Henry during my time building buses & coaches in the 700's one of my supervisors was also ex-Hawker
I have 4 of the 1/8th and 2 larger used to locate and fit the side panels.
They don't get used much these days but I would be reluctant to get rid of them ..............you just never know when you might use them

Vann
20th Feb 2016, 08:10 AM
...during my time building buses & coaches in the 700's...That makes you over 1200 years old :D

Cheers, Vann.

KBs PensNmore
20th Feb 2016, 12:58 PM
Never actually used them, but they look like a good idea. Thanks for bringing up the subject:2tsup:
Vann, that would make him over 1300 years young, we are now in 2016.
Didn't know they had buses and coaches back then:?

wheelinround
20th Feb 2016, 01:27 PM
That makes you over 1200 years old :D

Cheers, Vann.

:B OOPS No wonder I am feeling it today:doh: