PDA

View Full Version : Morey turret lathe WW2

morrisman
11th Feb 2016, 08:31 PM
I must be well known for collecting unwanted junk. I was asked if I wanted a free lathe - didn't need asking twice of course

Turns out its a weird turret lathe made during WW2 for munitions production - I would say a Lend Lease lathe from USA . Anyway I passed it up but offered it to a friend . He took it .It is complete but not sure how or what it does ! The large handwheel lowers or raises the motor belt tension , it has a linked belt drive

YBAF
11th Feb 2016, 09:12 PM
There's a Morey operators manual on ebay at the moment...

Operation Parts List Manual Morey No 2G Turret Lathe Original | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/operation-parts-list-manual-morey-no-2g-turret-lathe-original/380584004399)

Toggy
23rd Feb 2016, 08:03 PM
Interesting colour. The 2 small Hardinges I bought are this very same colour underneath the slapped on topcoat. This was the original colour of the machines. I of mine dates to 1941/46 and the other has the same bed but with 1931/39 headstock and tailstocks. They are interchangeable. During this war period; I would think that only the Government would have had access to this machinery for the was effort.

Ken

morrisman
24th Feb 2016, 09:16 PM
The Morey is at its new home . It certainly is a solid machine. The base is cast iron and it has a large suds tank inside it. Remains to be seen if it turns out to be a useful machine - or not.

During the war, the Govt. introduced all types of emergency laws . Buying a new car for example was restricted to people like doctors and hire car business. They built a big kiln at Gembrook for making charcoal for producer gas , but the kiln was never put into full production , its still there today .