PDA

View Full Version : My latest; a flat belt lathe

AndrewOC
5th Feb 2016, 10:47 PM
G'day lovers of the flat leather belt!
I've had a dream come true and scored a medium sized flat belt, flat bed metal lathe.
Just unloaded it out of the van this afternoon
Key figures are 6-3/4" throw by 36" between centres. Hefty weight.

It is fairly complete- the carriage isn't in shot 'cos it desperately needs cleaning!
No name on machine, the tag under the bull gear is a thread chart.
The front and rear edges of flat bed are 'dovetail' angled. Plain bronze bearings. Probably originally had a rear mount cross slide drive- mentioned by Tony Griffiths as mainly pre-WWI.
Spindle nose is 2-1/4" x 4 tpi (whitworth?). Haven't measured bore tapers yet.
Hopefully get the carriage cleaned, functioning photographed during the week.
Enjoy.
AndrewOC

DSEL74
6th Feb 2016, 08:35 AM
Nice lathe I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

YBAF
6th Feb 2016, 11:34 AM
Now for the 'hunt' at Lathes UK. :U

As posters in other threads have noted. Flat ways means likely a Pommy machine or an Oz made. That narrows it down to a coupla thousand manufacturers.:rolleyes:

When yer posting the carriage pic's can we get a couple of shots of the off-side of the machine. Sometimes helps with I.D.

AndrewOC
10th Feb 2016, 11:15 AM
Gave the carriage a quick clean, on a hot day, then lashings of WD/ oily aerosol product.
Here is a photo of the rear of the saddle/ carriage;

AndrewOC
10th Feb 2016, 11:21 AM
The hand wheel with chrome rim is a modern addition, I first thought it just replaced an original. However someone has been clever and made brackets to hold the second lot of drive gear; all to make a hand wheel that moves the carriage along bed same as a modern lathe. Originally the crank/hand wheel would have been directly on the shaft that has the bronze pinion gear that can be seen in the middle of picture- this makes winding it go the 'wrong' way or more accurately, counter-intuitive.
Interesting modification...
regs,
A.

YBAF
10th Feb 2016, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I know the bed somewhere from my Lathes UK research, though caint place it at the moment. Probably once its back together it might ring a bell.

The "carriage crank" on me Smellie and Co branded lathe is wrong way as well. One of the posters in the thread on it suggested it might be an Oz made copy of an overseas lathe. I've since got an original of the lathe I believe the S+Co is based on and it works in the 'correct' sense. The S+Co dont seem to be as well finished as a brand name lathe so the Oz knock-off suggestion could well be correct.
AndrewOC, perhaps have a close look at the overall finish of the machine and compare to other makes.

wheelinround
26th Feb 2016, 06:00 PM
:2tsup: Nice score Andrew

You could turn it into a peddle lathe till you get an overhead set up:p

woodfast
10th Jul 2016, 11:38 PM
I have Edgewick metal lathe with a flat belt the serial number D26 which means it was made in the 1930's she weigh in at 25 cwt very very heavy I will put some pictures once over this flu the swing is 15 inches with a gap bed