PDA

View Full Version : Rubber seals in toilets

Mike4
5th Feb 2016, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know why with all of the different materials available today ,that plain blackor red rubber is used for flush seal and fill seals in toilets ?

There are many readily available plastics and even metal could be used if machined correctly to make a better seal .

Michael

KBs PensNmore
5th Feb 2016, 10:15 PM
Probably because there are so many different brands of cisterns and bowls with no real standard size, rubber being the only flexible item in a price range that will do the job. A bit like toilet seats and bowls using a small bolt in a large hole.
Kryn

Mike4
6th Feb 2016, 11:19 AM
Maybe so but to have to replace seals every two years and end up with black slime from deteriorating rubber is not something I like to do .

If I had the spare time the plastic internals would be replaced with a marine grade stainless with high temp silicon seals , maybe then 5-10 years between seals.

The designs have not changed much since the first.

Michael

KBs PensNmore
6th Feb 2016, 04:15 PM
Having to replace it every 2 years sound like a problem somewhere. The only time I've ever replaced one was when the toilet was replaced with a new one. I know a couple of plumbers and will try to find out what the problem could be for you.
Kryn